2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP from Ford

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ESP from Ford

Just got info in the mail today.
Im not usually a person who goes for the extended warranty stuff for anything. But my past 1.8 years of ownership has me thinking about it.
I would like to think and hope that we have the bugs worked out, but how does one know for sure.
Anyway has anyone have any past experience with the ESP, is it worth it or a waste of money. I suppose one could think of it like your insurance. You could go years without ever having a claim and then bang one day you wish you would have had it.

Of course the paperwork doesnt offer any hint as to how much its gonna cost me, other than to call or visit your selling dealer.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
lakeforkfisherman
Senior User
ESP feedback

I recommend it. My 2004 F150 Super Crew has been in the shop for AC shaft leak, window regulator replacement, AC control assembly went dead and is in shop RIGHT NOW for new lower ball joints and possible transmission problems. I don't haul anything and generally just drive about 30 miles a day to and from work. It will pay for itself and if it doesn't, the peace of mind is quite comforting after reading many F150 forums and complaints. I have never had a problem getting work paid for by ESP. Too bad the good ole days are gone when you would get a full refund of the cost of the warranty if one dime of your warranty wasn't used.

By the way, this is my FIRST post on this forum.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I have the Premium care ESP...and IMO it is well worth the money.

It is a full 100% coverage for everything for 6yrs/75,000 miles w/ $100 deductible. I've still got my factory bumper to bumper 3yr/36k, and the extended powertrain 5yr/60k warranty...guess I'm triple covered

also, the Premium Care ESP covers car rentals during the repair...where the normal warranty doesn't cover that.

whatever you decide, DO NOT BUY A NON-FORD WARRANTY.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM
ggwash21
Senior User
x2 i have coverage till 115k on my truck..... $100 deduct cant go wrong...

Old 01-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Flying_Dutchman
Posting Guru
When I got my truck the original warranty had just expired. So I was sure to get a 5yr extension. This is the first warranty I have ever purchased but being that this is my first domestic vehicle. I cant help but be a little cautious.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:04 PM
ggwash21
Senior User
my 4yr 48k warranty for Extra care warranty and it cost me like $1850 i think which i was happy to pay versus new tranny i had put in that esp covered. i saw the bill and it was like $4800 for that bill... well paid for.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just paid $800 for a 6yr/60,000, $100 deductable, PremiumCare ESP. Well worth the money. My dealer wanted $1485 + for the same ESP. This is the first time I have ever purchased an extented warranty. After reading some of the stuff that has happened, I figured it was worth it....

If you're looking to a great price on a Ford ESP go to FordDiscountWarranty.com, Ford discount warranty, factory discount warranty, discount warranty, discount warranties, factory discount warranties, Ford

They are a FTE sponsor, or at least they advertise here. Be sure to memtion you are an FTE member... It makes a difference in the price.

Here's a link to a thread about ESP price from FordDiscountWarranty.com https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ranty-com.html

Old 01-06-2009, 10:02 AM
MisterDave2
Elder User
I have it on several Ford vehicles, and think it's worth it. Just used the indepentent warranty on wifes Toyota Matrix, covered about $1450, warranty cost about $1200. Only hassle is getting the authorization took a few days, the Ford is through Ford itself so it's much less trouble, that's a plus too.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:41 AM
whimsey
Senior User
I think the value of it depends upon the vehicle, ie trouble prone components, and the dealer. My wife bought a new 2005 EB Explorer with the 4.6. She purchased the 5 yr 75,000 mile $100 deductible Premium ESP. So far everything that "broke" wasn't covered according to the dealer. She's spent $100's of dollars in diagnostic charges to be told "it's not covered under the ESP" and you have to pay for it.

She still has the "phantom" unlock problem from day one, $100 each time she asks them to fix it. Her parking brake rusted and broke apart at 37,000 miles, not covered, but another $100 diagnostic charge plus the cost of the repair. Her ignition wires at 40,000 miles cracked and shorted setting codes. Again not covered but another $100 diagnostic charge and the cost of new wires AND PLUGS! The dealer said she HAD to have the plugs changed for them to replace the wires.

Her Ford dealer is a total rip off. I tried to get her to go to my Ford dealer, who has been really great for service and even getting Ford to pay for problems after the factory warranty expired. And I don't have an ESP or aftermarket warranty. She's just pig headed .

I have her make sure she does maintenance above and beyond what Ford requires, such as tranny fluid exchanges at 25,000 mile intervals and diff and transfer case fluid changes, instead of Ford's "lifetime" fill according to her manual.

Whimsey

Old 01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
had one of these and every time I tried to claim, the fine print said it wasn't covered.
Do your maintenance regularly, and find a good corner mechanic has been my approach ever since.
Good luck.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:25 PM
truckseeker
New User
My PowerTrain Care ESP just payed for itself today. I bought this extended warranty as I had my truck in 4 times for 4X4 repairs before the original warranty expired. I also needed a new tie rod today which would have been covered had I bought the next package up. Find out what you are comfortable with and buy it. I also payed to have a $0 deductible.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 PM
lakeforkfisherman
Senior User
Found out today that my 04 F150 5.4 needs a tranny overhaul due to a disentigrated torque converter. With ESP, I pay $50. Apparently, its a common problem with 04-06 F150- per the tranny mechanic at dealership. Wished I didn't have to have it, but glad I have the warranty. whew!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:33 PM
bmlawson
Senior User
Is there a warenty you can buy if your truck has 118000 miles on it?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:37 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i have also been thinking about extending my factory warranty.... it is about to expire this month i believe..... i currently have 34,800 miles. so if i buy one online, does it get entered into a ford data base, or how would my dealer know im still covered?

also, since i have a 6" lift on, would it be stupid to get the extra care coverage, or is a lesser one better for me since some things wont be covered anyhow?

what do you all think? i saw one online for 800.00 (6 yr, 60K miles, 100 ded). doesnt sound bad to me.....

Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 AM
lakeforkfisherman
Senior User
I'm not sure the lift would violate any terms of the warranty, unless it was found to be the cause of problems that are covered. I love my 04 Screw, but I have had many problems with it- more than is "normal" for a truck that is driven mostly highway about 40 miles a day (no towing, or hauling; is parked in a garage both at work and home). I suggest you get as much warranty that makes sense. If you plan to do a lot of modification to your truck, consider the potential of them voiding parts of the warranty.

LASTLY- I would ONLY buy a geniune Ford warranty. You will have fewer problems getting repairs done and paid for.

Quick Reply: ESP from Ford