1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seatbelts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Seatbelts

Hey folks. I'll start this off by apologizing to the Moderators if this doesn't need to be posted in this forum and If you need to move it, I understand.

Yesterday, I lost a friend of almost 30 years. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt. He was driving his wife to work Saturday morning and when he left the house with his wife and son, he just didn't put it on. He hit black ice, lost control, started to roll, and was ejected through the sunroof. They took him to a trauma center about 30 miles away where he stayed overnight. Unfortunately, yesterday, his wife was faced with a decision that no spouse ever wants to have to make. 35 years old with a wife and two kids and he's gone. Taken off life support at 5 PM yesterday.

The reason I'm posting this here is that I know how aggravated we can get by that stupid dinging noise telling you to buckle up. We've posted threads and responded to threads about how to disable it. It's a pain to wear. It's a pain to get your wallet out at the drive-thru. It's tight around the waist and chest. I know, we've all complained about them in the past. I have and I wear it religously.

My point is wear it. I know it's a pain in the rump but wear it. We're all a big family here as far as I'm concerned and I'd hate to hear about any of you all getting hurt or worse because of not wearing it.

Like I said, I'm posting here because this is topic has been discussed here many times. Moderators - if it needs to be moved, I understand. Buckle up folks. It only takes a second and it really could save you or someone you love. God speed and God bless.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myself and surely everyone else here at our Ford family is sorry to hear of the very tragic and debilitating loss.

I feel naked, as if I would slide off the seat if I were not wearing it, even though it wears out my nice coats at the shoulder.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
First, I wish to send my condolences about the loss of your friend. Having been through a loss in the last 6 months myself, I can sympathize with your situation.

To the topic, I wear my seatbelt because I have a family, and it is my job to ensure they are taken care of. I cant take care of them if I am injured for lack of wearing a simple seatbelt.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:45 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I appreciate your thoughts here PS72...
I personally agree. We should wear seatbelts. I'm pretty sure that seatbelts saved my butt twice in my life time so far and more than likely will again one day. I also must be honest in saying that I have disabled the seatbelt minder in my Truck. But with exceptions of backing up my driveway and other minor (safe) situations, I always buckle up and anyone riding in my Truck (or any of my vehicles) must also buckle up before take off.

Sorry about your friend PS72. I hope his family gets through this ok.

Rick...

Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss.

As for my truck, it doesn't move until all occupants are belted. No exceptions.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Neil_E.
Senior User
My first vehicles, 47 Frazer Manhattan, 54 Studebaker Champion, never had seat belts. I never knew any better, but times were simpler and the roads weren't as busy. My first "new" vehicle, a 79 Suburban had them, and I just got used to them. Now I won't drive without them. I'll turn off the belt beeper as the dash light is sufficient. Cell phones, electronic gizmos and zoned out drivers make belts a good idea.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:28 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beltminder is turned off, but only because the dings now repeat and repeat, which gets frustrating when doing ranch work (<10mph, flat, rough ground)... but even then that big red light is enough to constantly remind me that there is something wrong.

that's why the light is RED, just like the brake warning light, among all of the yellow/orange lights on your dash, the two red ones are the only ones that don't simply indicate a problem with your vehicle, but inevitible harm to you.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey guys. Thanks for the kind words and the sentiments. Thanks also for wearing those belts! My buddy never, and I mean never drove or rode in a vehicle without his but for some reason he didn't have it on when he wrecked. His wife is really beating herself up because she was afraid to drive because of the ice so he was driving her to work.

Like I said, I posted here because, and you all know, there have been many posts about the "dinger". I'm like several of you in that I can't stand that stupid dinging noise but I put up with it and also buckle up.

This kind of thing makes you take a long hard look at a lot of things. Just wanted to say thanks for all of the good advice over the years. While I haven't posted nearly as much as many of you, I'm on here a lot reading and absorbing and all of you have been a great help to me and others on here.

Here's to a new year and FTE - the best site on the net! Thanks again for everything.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 PM
taken
Senior User
I too am very sorry for your loss and feel for your friends wife and family. I don't and haven't ever worn a belt, and maybe it would have helped your friend. You never know though. This past September, my wife was driving us home from helping my father take his boat out for the winter. He always did this himself, but was diagnosed with leukemia and is having a weak year. So, I had been working 7 days a week all summer and was pretty tired on my first day off. I asked my wife to drive home so I could take a nap. Well, a guy ran a stop sign into us at 45-50 mph into our brand new 2 month old Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. My wife in her seatbelt is still not even close to healed. Bad neck, back, knees, and a ringing in her ear. Me, no seatbelt, not an issue from day one and he hit my side tossing me around like a rag doll. Her belt actually caused most of her injuries. Yes, the odds are better with a belt, but this is what happened to me. Anyways, your friend's family will be in my prayers.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM
krejci.mike
Senior User
I'm very sorry for your loss. Thanks for reminding all of us to wear our seat belts. I never move the truck without being buckled.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Buckboard6-300
Junior User
sorry for the loss of a good friend this really is a point that should be stressed. i myself should take more precautions of my passengers safety not only my own because passengers are also the drivers responsibility and we all would not want for deaths to occur over stupid things like not wearing a seatbelt