6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dead battery...

Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is possible that the cord for the block heater is not there. If the truck was not ordered with the option, it will not be there. You could always add the cord if it is not...

Old 01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know why - but many people clean the negative terminal on a battery, or lift it off and see no problems, and leave the positive terminal be...

The CRUCIAL terminal though IS the positive (which requires more effort to get at) and it develops a BLACK compound that resists current flow not only to the starter, but to the charging circuit.

You can see that plating when you look at them - it is a product of electron movement.

It's a surface coating that doesn't even have to be very thick to screw things up!

Worry about your positive terminals more than the negatives, because they cause the most trouble! You want to see nothing but shiny metal there. It also pays to coat them with petroleum jelly, because it resists electolyte intrusion.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 PM
strokin83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would strongly reccomend you don't get the autozone batts...I got them and they were shot 4 months later and they wouldn't warranty them out I ended up eating it and buying the Die Hards and haven't had trouble since. On your block heater issue: a lot of trucks did not come with it. The heater is in the block but you have to buy the cord and plug from ford or there are some aftermarket ones on Ebay. I think I paid about $100 for mine from Ford.
Good Luck

eBay Motors: Ford 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel Block Heater Cord 6.0L New (item 150317473237 end time Jan-21-09 19:58:38 PST)

Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 PM
MattyNJ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the suggestions, idk the terminals look perfectly clean to me although i have not taken them off, will taking them off erase or reboot anything i should know about??

Old 01-05-2009, 02:07 PM
aksdmf
New User
I live in Alaska and own a 2003 Excursion. I replaced my Batteries with Red Top Optimas. It has been -20 degrees for a few weeks now and I have had no problems on that end. I will caution, the batteries cost about $200.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:44 PM
MattyNJ
Senior User
just cleaned the terminals and connectors with a dremel tool, there was a slight bronze film over them, sprayed with a touch of wd40, but didnt make much of a diff unfortunatly still a slow crank....

looks like its time for new batts!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Iowan50220
Junior User
This might help

Here you go MattyNJ

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-20.php

Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:52 PM
MattyNJ
Senior User
Perfect! thanks man, but i may just wait on that install...book marked it though for a rainy day!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Iowan50220
Junior User
not a problem bud......that's what FTE is all about.......i will tell ya that my truck loves it when its plugged in overnight before I start it in the morn.....there is a noticable difference on how easy it cranks over.....also switching from 15-40 rotella during summer to 5-40 in winter seems to have helped crank her over quicker and quieter......just my 2 cents

Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 AM
MattyNJ
Senior User
where can I get the Motorcraft max batts? only the dealer? these are the replacement batts correct?

Ive decided to just do that, dont have the $$ for the die hards, and the stock batts did last 5yrs without issue so...

Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MattyNJ
where can I get the Motorcraft max batts? only the dealer? these are the replacement batts correct?

Ive decided to just do that, dont have the $$ for the die hards, and the stock batts did last 5yrs without issue so...
Not sure if the dealer is the only place you can get them, but it is your best bet. If you let the dealer install them it also includes free towing in the warranty...

Here is the current "specials" page which has the MAX batteries listed...

Genuine Parts & Service - Service Specials

Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 AM
MattyNJ
Senior User
wow thanks, so these deals/coupons are good at any dealership?....wonder what the install fee is for batts x2?

that oil change deal is for diesels??

Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Yes, the coupons are good at any dealer. Probably really not need though. For instance the MAX battery coupon says starting at $99.95, so the dealer can pretty much decide the price...

Not sure what the install fee would be for 2 batts. I had mine done when it was in for alternator service so they did not charge me anything extra. It would be worth it though just for the warranty paper trail and not having to deal with hauling the batteries back to them since battery prices are "with exchange"...

As for the oil change coupon, no it does not include diesels. Just read the fine print...

You can also use the find a dealer option on the left side of the coupon page to see if any of the dealers near you are offering any "local" specials that may be listed. I noticed one of the dealers near me is offering the Tested Tough batteries for $66.95 installed...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:45 AM
el boricua
Junior User
Matty, Get a voltmeter. With the engine off disconect the negative terminal on one battery. Measure the voltage across the terminals on that battery, then without doing anything else check the voltage across the terminals on the second battery. If only one battery is failing you should see one battery with +/-12 volts and the one failed is going to be less than 12 volts.

You could either replace the failed battery (cheap fix) or replace both. If you crank the truck with both batteries connected the voltage should be around 12V. If your voltage drop to 10 10.8 V you have issues with your batteries.

The expected life of a batteries are 3 to 5 years. Any battery failed between 3, 4 or 5 years could be considered normal.

If you go the cheap route and replace only one battery be advised that at any moment the second one could go south and may or may not damage the new one. That's why some manufacturers insist on replace both batteries, besides their desire of selling you the second one.

This is a great forum you guys have here!! I have learn a ton on this 6.0L engines.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
MattyNJ
Senior User
el boricua...yeah im just going to replace em both and avoid pro longing the issue.

THanks Powerstroke...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead battery...