6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Truck shuts abruptly off while driving or idling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
M.Farragher
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck shuts abruptly off while driving or idling.

Need a little help troubleshooting. Yesterday, my truck began to shut off abruptly. Under every condition, from idling to slow runing(30mph), and 70 mph, to load and no load. Wait 1 minute and it would start and run for 1 minute 15 seconds. If the batteries were disconnected, the truck would run for 13 minutes before shutting off. Have replaced the fuel filters. Still does it, but runs for between 10 and 20 minutes before shutting off.

Am seeing only two errors codes. P1000, and P0603. I was 40 miles into the Ville Vidal, when this started, and 150 miles from home. To get home, I disconnected the batteries too many times to count, and bled the HFCM numerous times. Am also seeing the moisture in fuel icon on teh dash light up when it quits, but so far as I can tell there is no moisture in the seperater.

2003 F450 6.0, automatic. 150K miles.

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 PM
dieselflash
Freshman User
bein as your truck is an '03 id look at the bottom of the engine on the driver's side and see if you see any oil, the icp sensor is behind the turbo on the high pressure oil pump on '03 engines only, ford moved it to the right hand valve cover in '04 because of the sensor failing from all the heat created by the turbo, they usually leak oil through the sensor and short out, they can make the engine rev-up by itself and die but you unhooking the batteries is whats setting those two codes

Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If that sensor is leaking you will know it, truck will be covered by oil on the bottom and every where you stop you will leave a nice big puddle. I just had that problem a few months ago with the icp sensor but it did not give the symptoms you are having, I had no driving problems other then coating everything with oil.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:42 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by M.Farragher
Need a little help troubleshooting. Yesterday, my truck began to shut off abruptly. Under every condition, from idling to slow runing(30mph), and 70 mph, to load and no load. Wait 1 minute and it would start and run for 1 minute 15 seconds. If the batteries were disconnected, the truck would run for 13 minutes before shutting off. Have replaced the fuel filters. Still does it, but runs for between 10 and 20 minutes before shutting off.
Granted I own an '04...it was doing the same thing; shutting down at random...like someone turned the ignition off. I didn't have the "water in the fuel" light...but I did have a CEL. Since mine was still under warrenty I took it to the local dealership. When they checked it, P2285 was the code the truck was giving...ICP sensor. The dealership replaced the ICP, road tested it and everything works great. That was over 8k miles ago and no problems since.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 AM
M.Farragher
Cross-Country
thanks for the input.

Regarding the ICP. at the end of September '08, I had the oil leaking problem and had the ICP replaced. There is a bit of oil on the bottom front of the transmission, but I cannot tell if it is new or not. This time, definitely no oil on ground. Last time an abundance of oil everytime I stopped.

After sitting over night the truck would run for about 20 minutes, then shut off. Had it at a repair shop most of the after noon, and by the time I left, I thought I had 20 minutes of run time to depend on. Not to be. Seems like once i started running it under driving conditions, the time got shorter and short unitl it won't run for more than 20 secs.

If it is the ICP sensor, could it be failing and causing the truck to shut down, but not leaking oil. If so, then perhpas I have a warranty issue. Just before shut down each time, it coughs twice, then dies.

Gonna have to have it towed now. Seems like there is nothing more I can do.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:51 PM
ran5e
New User
2003 6.0 shutting off

i am having the same problem as well , started out it would run for a while then shut off ,now it will only run 15 seconds or so then shut down. must be something common hope someone has an answer for us

Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
there are a few things that will casue this. vref short most common is at the ebp, disconnect it and see what happens.
a failed ipr valve
a failed injector coil
those are the common ones.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM
ran5e
New User
strats and runs for 10 to 15 seconds then shuts down

can you tell me a little more about testing these, the truck will run great when first strarted but will not start back up until i wait a while then does the same thing. no codes are showing up on my edge
thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 PM
speced42
Freshman User
I have the exact same problem going on with my 2005 F250 ...going to take her to the dealer tomorrow and see whats is up...Started great this afternoon run great for 15 mins then stalled refired then ran excellent for 30 mins ..then would not restart after turning it off ,waited about an hour and restarted like nothing was wrong

Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ran5e
can you tell me a little more about testing these, the truck will run great when first strarted but will not start back up until i wait a while then does the same thing. no codes are showing up on my edge
thanks
have you check the items listed in post #7

Old 02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
ran5e
New User
shutting down

no i will check the ebp tomorrow
how would i check the ipr valve and test the injector coils

Old 02-25-2011, 05:31 AM
ran5e
New User
runs 10 to 15 seconds and shutd off

i have not checked the coils yet but everything else is okay, when this started the dealership told me my alternator was bad"replaced alternator" i have noticed as the truck starts bucking and kicking thats when the alternator seems to kick in,could something be shorting causing this?
thanks randy

Old 02-26-2011, 02:03 PM
anthony mayer
New User
I posted it on another page, but I would look at the ICP sensor too. The sensor itself may be bad or the actual ICP wire to the ICP may have shorted out. This is an easy thing to check too. Basically you unplug the ICP wire. Turn the truck on and see if it works. If it does work, then all its doing is setting the Injector pressure to the standard factory setting. From there you just gotta figure out if its the wire or the sensor itself.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:26 AM
speced42
Freshman User
Dropped my 2005 off at the dealers yesterday and awaiting the news .....will keep you all posted

Old 03-02-2011, 12:41 PM
speced42
Freshman User
Just heard back from the dealer ...looks like the branch tubes are leaking .and hpo leak ...around $1700 to fix

Quick Reply: Truck shuts abruptly off while driving or idling.