Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
New User

paul_scooter is starting off with a positive reputation.
wood side rails?

Were can i buy the wood rails the run along the top sides of the pickup bed.
Terry's beautiful truck has them shown on his gallery

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...8&albumid=8795

thanks
Paul
Old 01-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Hi Paul,

You'll probably have to make them. It's not tough. But if your aren't a wood person, a cabinet shop could make them, or someone with some woodworking power tools and some carpentry skills.

Julie!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 AM
New User

Hi Julie,
Well I'm not really great a mechanical things or wood working, and i don't have any wood working tools. But I think I'll try making them myself, i was hoping there was some
kit to buy to get the wood cut to the right size. Thanks for the help, again.
Paul
Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_scooter View Post
Hi Julie,
Well I'm not really great a mechanical things or wood working, and i don't have any wood working tools. But I think I'll try making them myself, i was hoping there was some
kit to buy to get the wood cut to the right size. Thanks for the help, again.
Paul
Honestly, there might be a company that has a kit of some sort - I've never heard of one, though I've never looked either.

But if you want to call around the folks at MAK-K would probably be a good place to start. Manybe they can give you a pointer.

They advertise here on FTE but I'll give you a link as well:

MAR-K Classic Truck Parts made in Oklahoma City, USA

Good Luck,
Julie
Old 01-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Postmaster

WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.WALFORD'S 56 has a great reputation on FTE.
Paul
I just made a set for my 53.
I used 8' 2 x 4s for the sides and cut them to length. 3 on each side.
2 ON THE LEDGE OF THE BED. and a 2 x 4 for a spacer--and a 2 x 4 on the top.
I also put 2 ---1 x 4s across the back of the cab which stiffened the rack up and also protects the cab.
Not fancy....but the truck is my shop truck and I do not want fancy.
I used oak finish polyurthane finish and even though not perfect.....do the job.....Bill

I was just going to say.....go to Home Depot....LOL
Old 01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Posting Guru

jaye is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you go to Home Depot or Lowes and purchase just tell them to cut the boards the length you need they will cut them as long as you get longer boards. They will tell you don't count on it being exact but it will be pretty darn close. Then get some screws, sand paper, stain, & varnish and you have bed sides.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Post Fiend

bobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to behold
I saw a kit at Homedepot, it consists of six 2X4s, , 24-1/4" carriage bolts, a gallon of Spar Varnish, 3/8" drill with bits and a 7 1/4" circular saw.

Just kidding, I just wanted to be a smart Click the image to open in full size.

You could try Bruce Hornkey, Home page Horkey wood and Parts. They have some nice looking kit for the Dodge Lil Red Express and Warlock.

Click the image to open in full size.

You'd have to call them and find out if they would fit a F-1.
48/51 F-4 flatbed (2 in 1)/49 8N tractor

www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

Old 01-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Junior User

erinaldi is starting off with a positive reputation.
I suggest oak as Horkeys shows for the Dodge. It will look much nicer than pine 2x4's when stained. It's also is harder and therefore less likely to splinter when cut or warp with exposure to weather. Use a finish designed for boats (marine) for weather protection. Ask around your neighborhood, there always seems to be a retired woodworker lurking!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Postmaster

jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have also wondered about how I would build some wood side rails and what materials to use on my 51 and the overall look of it!. I am a long ways off from driving my truck but would be very interested in some pictures of actual or vintage side rails used for actual service. I have seen the steped side rails that are taller in the front and shorter in the rear, but not sure that is the look I would want ( two rails stepped to 1 rail) I am into woodworking and have the tools it would take to make them.
I personally would probably just want a short side rails, if any at all. and used just for looks, and maybe even add some lettering (woodburner?) or router out some lettering for the side boards?
Teak would be the very best wood to use and then just an annual or less quick coat of teak oil would last forever, and look great.
I could be talked into making a pair just for the experience of it.

Josh
Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Postmaster

jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.
also as a side thought i would want to make sure the stakes went in all the way into to bed so the bottom edge of rail does not touch or rub on the paint from the top rail of the bed, maybe there is something to coat or cover the posts with to minimize paint loss or rubbing once its set down into the post pockets.

The paint on your truck looks awesome so I would definitly want to make sure it fits real snug so it doesn't flop around. that would be easiest to acheive with a custom build.

Josh
Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Posting Guru

firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Paul , send me a private message and with your ph. # and I will call you and get you headed in the correct direction .Have been in the cabinet /woodworking business for many yrs.. See bed pic in 1ST-RIDER's gallery . This is my current occupation .Have been asssociated with woodworking all my life . Have some ideas on the bed sides .Some which I will use on the stock truck under const.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Senior User

woodyf1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ipe is a very good choice jatoba is another I personally dont like red oak as it likes to bow and crack yes teak is nice measure twice cut once and this is a relatively easy project but most importantly have fun
Old 01-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
I was looking through an old catalog from Mack Hills last night. They have a listing for the wood side rails. The catalog just showed it for Model A's but it did say that if you contact them they can make the rails for any bed you like.

Here's a link to the company;
https://www.mackhils.com/

Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 PM
New User

Thanks for all the help, hints and replys.
I think it will be best if i try and make them myself, might be fun.
Paul
Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 PM