Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2001 Hatch lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
txtimothyt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Hatch lock problem

I have a 2001 escape that has a interesting problem with the rear hatch. When it is hot out side or the sun is shinning on the rear hatch the lock will not unlock,all the other doors do. When it gets dark or the door cool down the nit will unlock with the rest of the doors. Any Ideas as to what might be the problem

Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
stu4now
Senior User
Hmmmmmmmmm

Sounds like the acctuator to me (an electro magnet). I worh on equip. that uses alot of solinoid switches and when they heat up they dont have enough %$#@ to pull in. Funny...... I haven't been on this site for over a year and was gonna post on a problem Im having with my rear hatch....... It locks ok but the rear glass doesnt??? I looked at it and locked and un-locked it and I dont see anything in the linkage to keep the handle from operating when it's locked?????

Old 05-25-2009, 01:21 PM
aj7885
Junior User
hatch lock

same problem on my 01 Escape. Rear stopped locking/unlocking on warm sunny days.

Last edited by aj7885; 05-25-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: double post
Old 05-25-2009, 01:23 PM
aj7885
Junior User
hatch lock

same problem on my 01 Escape. replaced solenoid with unit from Parts Express online. Sku 330-582. After removing 4 screws from inner hatch trim cover and snapping out cover, the complete assy is exposed. Remove 1 phillips screw and 4 10mm nuts and assy comes apart. I then replaced the solenoid with the aftermarket unit(you will have to bend the included rod to match fit because it doesn't have same rod as the factory unit). Then wire the new unit to factory wiring(green to pink and blue to pink with black stripe. Done in 1 hour total. Price for solenoid $10.50, price if you have to buy whole latch assembly from Ford $147.00. (Ford only offers complete latch, lock, handle as a part)

Old 05-26-2009, 08:26 AM
txtimothyt
Freshman User
Thanks for the information

Old 10-03-2009, 11:29 PM
ovenking
Freshman User
After market solenoid for rear hatch works!

Ordered the solenoid from parts express. Had to bend the rod as stated in the previous post. Length was a little tricky with the metal rod provided with the kit and you had to bend it in such a way that it would not fall out of the hole it hooks into,(U shape but not so tight a hook that you can't get it to hook in its hole before you mount the new solenoid). The stock solenoid has a plastic rod that goes into the hole and rotates 90 degrees to hold it in place so bending a loop serves the same purpose. $10.50 is a lot better than the price the stealer wanted to install it. They quoted us $300 installed but I later found out that they were charging for the whole latch assy. PLUS the handles. A call to Ford parts informed me that the handles were INCLUDED in the latch assy. and were not billed separate as the dealer had stated. I pointed this out to the service Mgr. and he said it was an honest mistake. You KNOW he would have charged me separately if I didn't do my homework. A word to the wise! $10.50 and an hour of my time beats $300 any day. Thanks Ford Truck Enthusiasts !

Old 05-17-2010, 08:47 PM
jbcord
New User
Part No Longer Available

After an hour of searching happened to come across this wonderful site and the answer I needed. The problem is Parts-Express.com no longer offers Sku 330-582. Can you guys let me know if there is another source for this? I agree with the previous post on the ford should have put a key slot in the rear door on this model. Right now I am unlocking and looking the door manually with cover off the back hatch. Very annoying.
But do not want to pay around 150 for the whole assembly. Hope you guys can help. Thanks

Old 08-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Matt81276
New User
Thanks for all the info. My liftgate stopped working while I was moving furniture.

I found a site that sells the actuator for $29.98 w/free shipping. Lessco Sales - Omega DS2.1SQ Thin Euro Style Door Lock Motor Actuator

Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 PM
dbill
New User
the lessco part ds2.1sq has a "ring" at the end of tha actuator plunger. Tho Ford part has a longer shaft that has the correct end to fit the lock mechanism. If you look carefully you will see that both the ring and the arm are pressed on sideways over a button like fitting on the end of the plungers I switched the parts in about 1 min using a pair of pliers to hold the small parts. Do not turn this into work the whole job was about an hour. Bill

Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 PM
NorthwestX360
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt81276
Thanks for all the info. My liftgate stopped working while I was moving furniture.

I found a site that sells the actuator for $29.98 w/free shipping. Lessco Sales - Omega DS2.1SQ Thin Euro Style Door Lock Motor Actuator
The hatch on my '02 Escape just started doing the same thing. I went straight to this website and WHAM, there's the answer to my problem. I just clicked on the above link and the site is down for maintenance. I'll keep trying.
Thanks for the info, guys!
Andy

Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 PM
martin_csr
Senior User
Here's some info from another forum contained within this link.

Re by Ivon5401:
HERE is the Omega DS-2 REPLACEMENT $11.00
Here's the link to the part: *AUTOTOYS url=http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=13275
With this comment from a person who used it for the lift gate in an '02 Escape:
"This is a replacement for the OEM liftgate actuator for the Ford 02 Escape. Many web sites referenced the Omega DS2.1SQ, which unfortunately, has been discontinued as of the spring of 2010. I ordered this part from Autotoys[...] from the description of the item alone since there is no manufacturer's info or specs. The item I received did not have any manufacturing name info on the plain white box. However, unlike the Omega model, this one is easier to install. It is black in color and has a detachable lift rod connector. I just popped out the lift rod connector from the Ford OEM part and snapped it on to the replacement actuator. Perfect fit - no monkeying around to with a hacked lift rod connector contraption. As for the wire connection, I just flattened out the hollow metal connectors, trimmed off the metal edges to produce a 1/8" blade, inserted the blades into the Ford harness (female end), and taped up the connection. Guessing which colored wire goes with the right Ford wire was 50-50. I guessed wrong the first time, but just swapped the connectors. Everything works. I don't know who manufactures this part, but let's hope that Autotoy.com continues to stock and sell it since it appears that no one has anything comparable (or you can pay $130-150 for the Ford OEM assembly)."

Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 PM
NorthwestX360
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by martin_csr
Here's some info from another forum contained within this link.

Re by Ivon5401:
HERE is the Omega DS-2 REPLACEMENT $11.00
Here's the link to the part: *AUTOTOYS url=http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=13275
With this comment from a person who used it for the lift gate in an '02 Escape:
"This is a replacement for the OEM liftgate actuator for the Ford 02 Escape. Many web sites referenced the Omega DS2.1SQ, which unfortunately, has been discontinued as of the spring of 2010. I ordered this part from Autotoys[...] from the description of the item alone since there is no manufacturer's info or specs. The item I received did not have any manufacturing name info on the plain white box. However, unlike the Omega model, this one is easier to install. It is black in color and has a detachable lift rod connector. I just popped out the lift rod connector from the Ford OEM part and snapped it on to the replacement actuator. Perfect fit - no monkeying around to with a hacked lift rod connector contraption. As for the wire connection, I just flattened out the hollow metal connectors, trimmed off the metal edges to produce a 1/8" blade, inserted the blades into the Ford harness (female end), and taped up the connection. Guessing which colored wire goes with the right Ford wire was 50-50. I guessed wrong the first time, but just swapped the connectors. Everything works. I don't know who manufactures this part, but let's hope that Autotoy.com continues to stock and sell it since it appears that no one has anything comparable (or you can pay $130-150 for the Ford OEM assembly)."
I ordered this part on 9/5/10 and I just got it in the mail today. When I ordered it, it was $16.00, but I just clicked on the link a few minutes ago and I see that they are selling it for the "low price" of $24.00. What annoyed me is that when I ordered it, they charged me $24.50 for shipping and handling on top of the $16.00 purchase price. The label on the U.S. Postal Service Priority Mail envelope says that they paid $4.75 for the shipping! What a rip-off! Anyway, the part was a direct bolt-in, but I had to do a minor modification to the wiring to get it to work. The OEM liftgate lock actuator does not have any wires sticking out of it. It has a connector built into it. On the replacement that I bought, the wires are sticking out of it, so I cut off the connector that was on the factory wiring, and crimped on some blade-type connectors. After hooking up the wires, I did a test and I found that I had the wires backwards. When I'd lock the doors, the back hatch would unlock, and when I'd unlock the doors, the hatch (and glass) would lock! So, I unplugged the wires and reversed them, and now it works just fine.
I saved a lot of money by not buying a complete assembly from the Ford dealer, but I still think it stinks that this company charged me $24.50 to ship a $16.00 (now $24.00) part, especially when it only cost them $4.75 to ship it!! Hopefully someone on this forum can find the part somewhere else that charges less for shipping.
Andy

Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 AM
jdhawk
New User
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm having the same issue w/ my '01 Escape.

I found another actuator on amazon for $4, and though I'd share.

GALAXY AC-1 Door Lock Actuator

Old 06-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Racerford
New User
Ford hatch door

Can someone send me a three drawing for the rear hatch for a 2001 excape? Terry

Old 06-12-2011, 02:39 PM
scottss80
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Racerford,

If you look at a older thread it's not too far down the forum from this thread titled "2008 Ford Escape rear hatch won't open" by Bucknut614. You will see some pictures by Asipes in there, that are pretty good and detailed.

My 2001 rear lock just started doing the same thing yesterday, won't unlock when it's hot out, and living in Texas, it's hot out! I found the part for $12.50 including shipping.

Scott

Quick Reply: 2001 Hatch lock problem