Sponsored by: Moser

cash for junkers

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 PM
armstrongfordtrucks
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cash for junkers

Have you all seen this CASH FOR CLUNKERS. Can't get it to down load to attachments. sorry some reason it say invalid file, will try again tomorrow.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:00 AM
projectbad78
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash for Clunkers

check out that grill insert!!!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:33 AM
highboy1975
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
ya, that looks like one of the few good ones

Old 01-01-2009, 01:36 AM
78workhorse
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds like a tuff thing to get going. The price of scrap has taken a dive. So has the price of steel. So theyre not gonna be bringing in that kind of cash for "clunkers". No thank you I'll stick with my "gas guzzler".

Old 01-01-2009, 04:54 AM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
thats a bad bad program for any one thats restoring a older car or truck it breaks my heart to see these old ones crushed when there is good parts to be had as far as them saying these make 25% of emishions i say b**t on my cars i would be lucky to put on 3 or 4000 km a year as a mater of fact my 79 ford granada with a 302 gets an honest 25 mpg remember theres 30 years of techonligy and a lot of the new trucks dont do much better for milage

Old 01-01-2009, 07:50 AM
armstrongfordtrucks
More Turbo
The add I have on line for it has a place to click on to sent a message to try and stop it. This really $u(k$, as in Pa it's really hard now to find parts. Besides, where will the laid off and poor get the money to pay the insurance industry, that alone is more than I spend in gas for my clunker a year. My wife say's the local Advance auto parts store will have to close if they take mine alone. Now thats aobut 10 more in the unemployment line.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 AM
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got an e-mail from Summit Racing about misguided,as usual,"cash for clunkers"legislation being pushed by our elected representation.I e-mailed my Senator and Congresswoman to voice my opposition.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:05 PM
mando jake
Senior User
I value a "paid for" vehicle that I can fix as much or more than a slightly more efficient and way more complex vehicle that I have to have someone else plug in and fix.
Also, this is the kind of thing that gets passed now as a voluntary program, and eventually may become manditory to crush any car before its 15th birthday.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 PM
460swmo
Senior User
This is the kind of thing that will mostly affect the 90s autos atleast i hope it don't lead to dissapearing 60s and 70s cars and trucks. I think most people who own 70s and older vehicles don't own them because thats all they can afford. But i have to say this sounds like the stupidest thing i have ever heard of in my life.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:45 PM
cipsmithers
Senior User
I think its funny how they think it will create more jobs. Yes, it might help the new vehicle industry, but what happens to all the auto parts stores, mechanics that aren't trained to work on hunks of plastic s**t like honda, toyota, ect., and the auto restoration market? It won't get more jobs, it will just shift the unemployment to a new set of people. God it makes my insides hurt. Ok, I'm done.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:32 AM
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
90s vehicles are getting to be old stuff.My two Lightnings are 16yrs. and 14yrs old.That would be sad to see 90s Ford trucks being hauled to the crusher.This kind of legislation can very well lead to mandatory age limits on vehicles.How many smoking,nasty looking 90s vehicles do you see on the road?Even in my rural Southern Ohio location,it's not really that many as a percentage of vehicles on the road.I watched way too many 70s Ford trucks being hauled to the crusher this summer when scrap was high,used parts are getting real hard to come by.This misguided legislation makes me feel that some liberty is being taken because we all know how easy it could become mandatory.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Adam79
Junior User
Interesting that they quoted the price of scrap while it was at an all-time record high! Scrap value has CRASHED (which is why I'm sitting here laid off instead of at work right now).

From a supply and demand point of view... if this Cash For Clunkers thing happens... the "supply" would be just insane. I know a couple guys who run scrap metal and they are literally stacking the stuff up in their BACKYARD hoping for prices to come back up around next summer (there's another supply and demand blunder).

As far as junk / recycle yards that are more oriented towards reselling car / truck parts (rather than just scrapping the steel)... their demand will crash if people are to become more inclined to junk their older cars rather than fix them.

Personally I cringe at the thought of someone MAKING me get rid of my '79 Bronco to drive some plastic-covered putt-putt mobile. The only people I see economically benefiting from this is car dealers.

And then on the other hand... I do have one vehicle I wouldn't mind taking $2500 for and going to buy something better on gas (darn sure isn't my Bronco though)! Which brings to mind the concept of ALL CARS going up in price since the dealers would then know that the government is handing out $2500 for $800 cars...

I dunno. To me this seems like an economic BLUNDER.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
I think this is the same thing that either FTE Ken or IB Adrian posted last week or so. they had a post that said the government is trying to get people to take their old vehicles to the crusher so that new vehicles will be more abundant on the road. all this means is more jobs at dealerships/junkyards = less emissions in the air = a cleaner looking Earth and your property. that's great for people that don't give a spit about old vehicles, but it kills mechanics and auto part stores. they can't work on plastic junk and part stores that have those parts.

that's our government for you.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Got to love the greenies huh?! When I see crap like that I just cringe at ALL of the idiots that will fall for it, so they can feel better! OMG that is friggin amazing, scary and amazing.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
Got to love the greenies huh?!
Yep. :)

I tell 'em...
"if you ain't naked and livin' under a bush, you are a hypocrite :)"
Want to do something about the environment and want to...
"return it back like it was" ??
"start by tearing down -your- house and replanting -that- land"
"then we'll talk about you grinding your car into dust, by hand ;)"
"oh, while you're at it, raise some livestock and feed it to the new wolves"

------------------------------

"creating jobs"

You know full well they are going to make the same mistake FDR did.
More "gov't programs".
All they have to do is cut taxes.
JFK did it and proved it works. :)
But "they" don't like not having control.

Steve Forbes would've (?) kicked this country into high gear.
He knows that all wealth (real value) comes from mining, manufacturing
and agriculture and the greenies and gov't b'crats hate those three things.
And are basically trying to ruin them. :(

If they get their way, we might be living in our old "clunkers". LOL :)

-------------------------------

A "service economy"?

How can we survive just shuffling "services" around without the "value"
added from mining, manufacturing and agriculture? :(

oil = mining

Question is...
Has the world oil supply really peaked?

I wonder how many people actually had to eat dirt today to fill their belly?
A million? Half million? Only a measly quarter million? ;)

And we've got whole grocery store isles devoted to cold beer sitting in open
cases.

Kinda sad huh? :(

"the next twenty years aren't going to be like the last twenty years"
-said by somebody way smarter than Alvin

Alvin in AZ (libertarian)

Quick Reply: cash for junkers