2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 PM
HogTied
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front end shimmy

Hey guys I just bought today an 06 F-150 4x4 regular cab XLT with 33,000 miles. Well, I got it on the interstate today and sure enough I found a problem. Between 55-70mph there is a very noticeable front end vibration. You can really feel it in the steering wheel and my passenger said she could feel it through the seat and door rest. It has brand new tires on it on the factory 17" wheels. They seem to be balanced good. I also noticed that the truck pulls to the right quite bad at speed too. Its not very noticable while driving under 55. Could that have something to do with it? Do I have a bent wheel or a bent spindle? Please help.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 PM
ggwash21
Senior User
swap the tires to the back and see. we have a guy thats having same kind of issue but his might be drive line. Over Torquing might cause it. Have the tires rebalanced. i think all vehicles pull to the right so in case you fall asleep you go to the right( thats what i was told). If it was a bent spindle you would notice it every time you drive it. Another thing how is the tread does it look like the tire separated in the middle ? these are just some ideas hope it goes well, keep us posted

Old 01-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
vibration in only a certain range narrows it down to pretty much the tires or driveshaft

rotate all 4 tires and properly torque them on

if that doesn't fix it, get them rebalanced.

still no fix, then try getting the rim runout checked. Ford had some bad rims get through that were slightly out of round

Old 01-01-2009, 08:22 AM
HogTied
Senior User
Would driveline vibration be felt worse in the steering wheel that throughout the cab of the truck?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:41 AM
ggwash21
Senior User
I would say no, Do what tylus says and rotate all 4 torque them to 150lbs each and go from there. If that doesnt do it have them rebalanced..

Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
driveline vibration kinda feels like your truck has become a bucking horse....and usually it's a certain RPM instead of a speed.

you feeling it exclusively in the steering wheel kinda narrows it down...but it's hard to say 100%. There is alot of wheel dampening.

tried rotating them yet?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Shmuck
Senior User
Hey ggwash21 and tylus, I bet you didnt expect to see me here!! ;-) LOL

Hey Hog Tied, let me know what you find out. Im the guy ggwash21 refered to. I got a thread up at the moment. I got a vibration that comes and goes. Still stumped by t at the moment so im looking for all the leads i can get! I dont know how to do it, but maybe we should get the threads combined?? Regardless, im anxious to get this vibration fixed so keep me posted.

If the vibration is constant, ie under the same conditions (speed, rpm, gear) then you can start eliminating a few things. But if its intermittent, thats a tricky one, but still, some things can be eliminated from your investigation.

guys, if the truck is pulling to the right, shouldnt we get Hog Tied to get the thing aligned first, and then take it from there? Or could the vibration also be whats causing the truck to pull?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 PM
HogTied
Senior User
Well, today I put the truck on jack stands and ran it in 4 wheel drive. I noticed the passenger side front wheel wobbled badly. So, I found a back wheel that didn't wobble at all and switched them. I noticed the *new* back wheel had a slight wobble, so I thought I had cured the problem. Then, I looked at the *new* front wheel and it was still wobbling! So, I must have a bent hub or spindle. Any guesses?