Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

How to pull a turbo off a 94?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
How to pull a turbo off a 94?

I am in the process of putting new lifters in one of our work trucks, a 94 IDI turbo.

How exactly are you sposed to pull the turbo off the piping? Not the down pipe or oil return but the exhaust feed pipe? Are you sposed to unbolt the nearly impossible to get to 4 bolts that go into the turbo or just pull the pipe out of the slip joint where the two exhaust sides come together? If you pull the slip joint apart how are you sposed to get it back together?

Thanks in adance!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You have a couple options.

1. is to seperate the up pipe, usually a bit hard to seperate after all this time together, but it will seperate.
If you go that option, you unbolt the turbo pedestal from the rear of the intake, unbolt the oil feed line, remove the intake hat ands remove the downipe clamp.

The only thing I don't like about doing that, is the possibility the up pipe will not seal again, which means lost boost.

2. is to unbolt the turbo from the up pipe, then do the rest of the seperate the up pipe procedure. No fun getting the bolts in and out of the turbo up pipe, but better than an up pipe leak when you put it back together.

3. Pull the engine. So much easier to work on everything whenyou can stand on the ground with nothing to fight parts around.
If you go that way, remove the passenger side exhaust manifold, unbolt the pedestal, unbolt the intake hat and oil line, remove it in one piece.

What is wrong with the lifters?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
One of the lifters came apart inside and collapsed and caused a miss on one cylinder. I will be replacing all of them since I am in there, 152.00 shipped to my door for all of them.

I already pulled the turbo off with the up pipe attached but I just wanted to know if that was the right way or not. I am wondering though how hard it is going to be getting it pressed back in there. Is there any tricks to getting the up pipe back on the Y? Anything I can use to help make sure of a good seal along the lines of an epoxy or sealant?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

I have to think, there was someone in here a while back that had problems getting it to reseal.

Right now, I can't remember what he did to get it to seal.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 PM
1dieselman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have exhaust sealing problems try silkolene 762, good stuff

Old 12-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

I remember what he did.

Took a die grinder to the inside of the male fitting and cut the inside big enough to slide a short piece of exhaust pipe inside the fitting.
Also cut a small relief in the female fitting for the pipe to slide into.

Then with a little experimenting to get the pipe length right, he had a a good tight seal.

I tend to try and stay away from most sealing agents for a couple reasons.
First you have pressure in the up pipe, on my engine the pressure is around 25 PSI.
Then there is the heat issue of close to 1200 degree exhaust.
And if it can stand both of those problems, chances are if I ever need to get it apart, I can probably forget it ever happening.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Well it was very tight coming apart, so I am hoping that it will go together tight again and seal up good. For sealant I was thinking something along the lines of the orange rvt that is sposed to be high temp and used on exhaust manifolds. It doesn't dry super strong where it would be impossible to get apart again but might be just enough to seal up and little voids in the connection and also add lubricant for reassembly.