2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never another piece of s**t ford again

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 04:51 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would need some Valium if I had to do another set. LOL

That's what I heard...

Old 01-01-2009, 06:39 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
9 hours? Wow. I've gotten it down to under an hour. First time took 3. When I get in the zone I keep going till the job's finished without interrupt. I once decided I was going to detail my truck down to every nook and cranny... now that didn't turn out like I planned (8 hours) and I will never do that again only to have it look dirty again in 3 weeks!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 PM
No-Tyme
Senior User
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
9 hours? Wow. I've gotten it down to under an hour. First time took 3. When I get in the zone I keep going till the job's finished without interrupt. I once decided I was going to detail my truck down to every nook and cranny... now that didn't turn out like I planned (8 hours) and I will never do that again only to have it look dirty again in 3 weeks!
I hear ya Ken: But ya gotta remenber: I'm 54, 6'2" at 240... My butt just don't fit well under a hood: or anywhere else for that matter. I think it took me almost an hour to come up with some sort of plank to lay on. I found some old carpeting and laid it on the fenders, then took a 3/4" OSB board about 18" wide and found myself laying down on the job; so to speak. My bigest fear was breaking a sweat, and a plug. I have learned that when I get into a rush thats when things go bad. Besides 3 beers and 2 football games later, my job was done.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM
danmansjimmy
Senior User
injectors are covered for 5 years i beleive, unlimited mileage under the emissions warranty, so if it was the injector that caused this failure it should all be covered under warranty

Old 01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
danmansjimmy
Senior User
also i would take to another dealer some are better than others when it comes to warranty work, some are picky others will do whatever they can for you

Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 PM
No-Tyme
Senior User
I can't find any coverage on injectors

Originally Posted by danmansjimmy
also i would take to another dealer some are better than others when it comes to warranty work, some are picky others will do whatever they can for you
I haven't seen anything to assure me that the injectors are covered under any warantee. Maybe under a new truck warantee, and the extende warentee pertains to the 05 and newer. My Certified Used warantee does not cover the injectors... I am hoping to hear something tomorrow, but I am not holding my breath.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:19 PM
ranger88a
Elder User
Ken is correct in saying that if the injector fails and isn't covered, all that fails because of it isn't covered either. Aftermarket warranties are the same. I had an engine rejected because the frost plug heater blew out and they overheated the engine. Frost plug wasn't covered so neither was the engine! Just understand that I do feel for you just be aware that dealers have thier hands tied at this point. As a tech in a Ford and Chrysler store, it's the same everywhere. I know the guys at the chevy dealer and they say the same. The economy and the situation the big three are in they don't want to budge. I've heard the japanese companies aren,t far behind the big three. We do try as much as we can for our customers. But honestly, we have a hard time and I know the customers are upset with us sometimes, but what are we to do?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
No-Tyme
Senior User
your opinon please as a tec

Originally Posted by ranger88a
Ken is correct in saying that if the injector fails and isn't covered, all that fails because of it isn't covered either. Aftermarket warranties are the same. I had an engine rejected because the frost plug heater blew out and they overheated the engine. Frost plug wasn't covered so neither was the engine! Just understand that I do feel for you just be aware that dealers have thier hands tied at this point. As a tech in a Ford and Chrysler store, it's the same everywhere. I know the guys at the chevy dealer and they say the same. The economy and the situation the big three are in they don't want to budge. I've heard the japanese companies aren,t far behind the big three. We do try as much as we can for our customers. But honestly, we have a hard time and I know the customers are upset with us sometimes, but what are we to do?
Ranger88a: I am afraid that you are giving me the news I am about to hear from my dealer. Of course I am not happy with the idea a dropping a new motor in my 04, but that being said, what do you think I am looking at for the replacement. I have a friend who buys and sells parts for a living, and he has found me a 06 long block out west, brand new. I think I would have trouble with any warrantee issues from someone out of town. He can get it for $2850 plus shipping. I figure another 20 hours for the swap, at about $90 per hour at the dealership. Am I in the ball park?
Now my dealer did want to quote me a price on a short black, but in my 04 I have them older style heads with the spark plug issues, so if I can I would rather move up to the newer style, somewhere in 06 they were redesigned.
In your opinion as a tec, which way would you go on this? New short block, long block if the 06 will work, or try to rebuild what I have. The dealer tells me no compression, piston burnt and valves gone, but they say they didn’t check the cylinder with the scope. I am wondering if the block is re-buildable and I am get a engine shop to do the rebuild at a lower cost to me.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 PM
ranger88a
Elder User
I would say you are pretty close, sounds like a good deal on the motor. You can check on how much a rebuild would be. I would like to see someone scope the engine to see how bad the bore is, if it's not too bad you may get by with a piston and valves. Either way is a rebuild just what you feel more comfortable with. Sorry about giving you bad news, I really do hate that and do feel for my customers.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-02-2009, 05:25 PM
damone
Senior User
Originally Posted by danmansjimmy
injectors are covered for 5 years i beleive, unlimited mileage under the emissions warranty, so if it was the injector that caused this failure it should all be covered under warranty
So, what you are saying is maybe the new truck warranty (which is fully transferrable) covers the injectors for 5 yrs under it's emissions warranty?

Where does this info come from?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 PM
No-Tyme
Senior User
Originally Posted by ranger88a
I would say you are pretty close, sounds like a good deal on the motor. You can check on how much a rebuild would be. I would like to see someone scope the engine to see how bad the bore is, if it's not too bad you may get by with a piston and valves. Either way is a rebuild just what you feel more comfortable with. Sorry about giving you bad news, I really do hate that and do feel for my customers.
That was one thing I felt that they were not being truthfull about. They said they did scope the #8 cyclinder and when I asked about the block they could not give me an answer. Said they would have to pull the head. Either way I am think of getting a second opinion.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM
No-Tyme
Senior User
reman motor

Thanks: I did check out the reman and sent an email: The no warantee is troubling. I asked who did the work, specs etc. Looks as if it may be shop.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 PM
No-Tyme
Senior User
I got it in the rear

Originally Posted by No-Tyme
took my truck to the dealership :bad news: Valves and piston gone and no compression. They stated it was caused by a faulty injector. Now, since the injector is not covered under the “Ford Certified pre-owned Warrantee”, the damage to the piston, valves, and cylinder wall will NOT be covered. This is because the injector caused the problem and it is not covered.
This just blew me away… Back to the Bow Tie for me...
Update: Well today I have the figures...

Reman engine $6361
rebuild with piston, if that is the only problem, and head work $5818
Reman gives me 12,000 or 12 months, and the same warrantee applies. Don't cover injectors.

If Ford keeps this crap up they won't be in business long.
bye bye Ford

Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 PM
pohlmeyr
Cross-Country
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Can someone tell me why a dead injector would do this damage to an engine? I have built several engines, not any of them modular though, and i cannot think of any reason that this would happen beacause of a faulty injector. Maybe i am missing something!

Quick Reply: Never another piece of s**t ford again