General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The ALCOHOLIC Grand Prix takes place tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:08 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ALCOHOLIC Grand Prix takes place tonight...

Every year on New Years Eve, we see the same thing..

Will you live through it?

Will you collect the "GRAND PRIZE"...

Will you kill someone?

Will someone you know no longer be around on January 1st?

Will you be in jail?

Will you "MISS MOVEMENT" and be prosecuted twice....

Will you or someone you care about be a victim?

Can you tell what somebody who is "GONE WHILE DRIVING" looks like?

Is there a very good reason to be on a road tonight? Are you sure about that?

Have you planned far enough ahead to be safe?

Will we read about you in the papers...

FTE is a family site. YOU are family. We want you with us next year!!!

You don't have to be an idiot to be killed by one.

I like to drink, and I will tonight in celebration. But I be damned if I'll go anywhere!!! A fool and his life are soon parted

Listen to me - all of the above are things we read and hear about, and think they are things that will never ever happen to us. We can't imagine such terrible things in our comfortable little worlds. But once they DO HAPPEN - there is no way back, you just can't change it. The people you read about in the news thought it would never happen to them either - and it did.

You don't have to learn that way.

BE SAFE - WE CARE ABOUT YOU!

If you have a place to be, my best advice is to just stay there. The madness will be over by noon.

~Greywolf Hunting

-posted one day too soon-

Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you celebrating amateur night a day early? Or did I lose a day somewhere?

Either way, Happy New Year. Be safe out there.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
My schedule is off - I lost a day somehow. When you sleep on the flip side of what everyone else does you get confused at times.

And yet - the days off (DAZE OFF?) begin the day before.

Funny - I could have sworn at midnight I was into 31 december.... BAD CALL!

Still it is timely. I'd rather be a day in advance with the warning than a day late.

(According to some people I should be embarrassed. I'm not going to run out and buy a box of depends over it though)

Retirement does that to you. Days fall to the side. This means I have an extra day to fish at Glenn Springs, but it's cold as hell out...

Old 12-30-2008, 07:03 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Greywolf don't worry about the days running together. But I will be out driving on New Years Eve. I'm thinking about going to where the police will be holding their meet and greet just to save time in responding to tow requests. As I respond to 3 law enforcement agencies just which one to visit first is a guess. BTW the minimal tow bill will be $160.50. Taking a cab home and back to your car the next morning will be cheaper.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
BINGO!

Or take Myagi's advice:

"NO BE THERE"

Old 12-30-2008, 08:49 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread, Wolfie. I hate going out on New Year's Eve. "Amateur Night" we used to call it when I was tending bar.

My step-son is home for the holidays for the first time since he went to boot camp. I offered my home to him and his friends to have a place to party so as not to be on the roads- the Killing Fields. Some of the kids drink, but I will insist that they stay here for the night, or I will take them home myself (I do not drink at all). Heck, some of them have been staying here pretty much every night, anyway! Having a few more teenagers in the house is no big deal.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
We have stayed home for over 20 years and my kids have never been allowed to be on the street (driving or otherwise) on NYE.

We go out to eat with reservations around 6:00 and then straight to the house.

My wife and I pretend that we are going to stay up and watch the ball fall in NYC but, I usually have to wake her up.....if I am still awake.

Ya'll be safe out there...ya hear?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:10 PM
RDJ184
Postmaster
Yes if you have to go out please please do it sober and watch out for the idiots I am sure I will be out responding I have seen enough death this last week please please be carefull

Old 12-30-2008, 12:42 PM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
No driving! Lucky for me, I live in a small town, you can call the Sheriff's Dept. or the local tow company and they will give you (and your car) a ride home for free. No excuses for being a statistic. Remember, a cab is always cheaper than a DUI, and you won't kill yourself or anyone else.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 PM
rywegh
Cargo Master
I believe my wife and I are heading to a friend's house we know from church. There won't be any drinking and I will be especially cautious when we leave. I believe the party ends a little early so we should miss the idiots.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Originally Posted by racerchick21
you can call the Sheriff's Dept. or the local tow company and they will give you (and your car) a ride home for free.
After seeing the commercial for Budweiser (?) a couple years ago where the two guys walk into a pizza joint and order their pizza delivered I have thought about calling AAA from a bar and seeing if they would tow me home. Can't see why not....

Old 12-30-2008, 03:22 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
And I leave for Kansas tonight to pick up my son.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:04 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
most of the bigger bars around here offer a free taxi service on new years eve,but who would want to leave their vehicle sitting in a parking lot somewhere without security? I haven't been out on new years eve for a few years,but when I did go I chose a bar/club close to home and walked there and got a free taxi ride home. The way things are around here these days,if you are drinking and driving,you will get caught because they pull you over for doing nothing wrong,which I believe is very extreme. I work 3rd shift and sometimes on friday nights I go in early so I can get off work at one or two in the morning and get some sleep before the weekend starts. Sometimes I like to get a bite to eat before I go home. I get pulled over just about every time I go on the main street in this town just to be harassed and asked if I have been drinking. I just give it right back to them any more and ask them why they don't go get people who are actually drinking and quit harassing blue collar workers who are trying to make a living? They can't give me an answer when I ask them why they pulled me over. It has always been the same two cops pulling me over. the last month or so they have left me alone and haven't bothered me. maybe they finally got tired of me giving them crap back or they finally realized i wasn't out drinking and driving.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Around here we have "Operation Red Nose" where you can call them up, and volunteers drive YOU home in YOUR car. FREE!!! Well, they take donations. But to have you and your car home safe, with a sober driver, why not kick the guy a couple bucks?

Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
thats a pretty sweet idea

Quick Reply: The ALCOHOLIC Grand Prix takes place tonight...