6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help please! EGR Bypass is complete, now engine wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:28 AM
HugeF350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please! EGR Bypass is complete, now engine wont start...

I just recently installed an EGR Cooler Bypass Kit : eBay Motors: 03-07 6.0 POWERSTROKE FORD EGR COOLER BLOCK OFF KIT (item 360110771620 end time Dec-05-08 03:26:40 PST) that I purchased from ebay. I installed everything exactly as the instructions indicated with the exception of having to remove the Oil filter & fuel filter housing from the engine. In other words I had to remove the filter housings so that I could get the intake out of the truck. This was not in the instructions. I got it all back together and double checked my work prior to startup. I cranked the engine and let it idle for a while (10 minutes or so). During this time i heard a whistling noise (at idle only). When I would step on the excelerator slightly the noise would stop. So I then backed it out of the shop and noticed the oil pressure gauge was at 0. I immediately shut the engine off. I turned the key back on for a couple of seconds then restarted the engine. Still no oil pressure. Shut the engine off again. Attempted to restart again and it would not start. My batteries went dead after several attempts. I then went and bought 2 brand new batteries. Installed those and tried to start the engine. Nothing! I cracked all of the fittings to make sure i was getting fuel and I was. I then went and purchased new fuel filters. Installed those and nothing happened (still would not start). I then plugged a diagnostic machine in and got a P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High. I erased the code. After several attempts (and 2 brand new batteries drained) I noticed the oil pressure gauge finally reading normal. I spoke to a mechanic and he told me that the diesel pump would prime the fuel system but the oil pump would not. He said the only fix for this is to keep turning it over until the oil pressure reaches 500 lbs and then the truck would start. Can anyone help me please? Do I need to keep trying what I am doing, try something different, or pay to have it towed to a mechanic shop???? The truck is a F350 FX4 6.0 PSD with 120,000 miles on it. The only mods i have is the Elite Diesel Stage 2 90 Horse Power Injectors.

Last edited by HugeF350; 12-30-2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: added year and make of engine.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:05 PM
yz400f
Senior User
It would seem to me that if it started and ran for 10 min that the HPOP is now reprimed. when trying to start does it feel like it almost starts but just never catches? Could it be that you have a leak in the intake? just a guess. How long did it run while showing no oil pressure? ( i would doubt that it really has no oil pressure because it is a oil fire injection system and loss of oil pressure would cause it to die.) If the Oil pressure sensor (not the HPOP sensor) is faulty and showing 0 Oil pressure would the PCM not allow a start to protect the motor? maybe someone can answer that .

Old 12-30-2008, 03:08 PM
HugeF350
Freshman User
It just spins and spins but will not fire. i took the air filter off and soaked a wrag in gas. I placed the wrag over the air filter pipe and the engine fired and ran for about 3 seconds. I removed the wrag and re-installed the air filter and tried it again. Nothing...

Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 PM
dieselflash
Freshman User
take your upper fuel filter lid off and make sure its full of fuel, it may be air locked, and make sure your injectors buzz for a few seconds when you turn your key on, may have not gotten the ficm plugged up good

Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
HugeF350
Freshman User
Yes the fuel filter is full of fuel. i checked all of the lines as well. When I turn the ignition switch on I do hear the buzz for approx 5 seconds or so.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,382 Likes on 2,081 Posts
Unplug the ICP sensor on the valve cover, the computer will use a default to start the engine. Climbing over the engine you may have damage a wire plug.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:39 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Under your oil cooler, you have an oil "reservoir", that holds about 1-2 quarts of oil. This feeds the HPOP. Even your truck cranked up, and the HPOP get primed, the oil pump didn't pump any oil up to this reservoir - I assume this, because you had no oil pressure reading on the gauge. The HPOP used up all that oil, and now it needs to be primed. Now you probably have oil there, but imagine the poor pump to try to compress the air through the lines, and pick up the oil, to build 500 psi to fire the injectors. You will have a lot of "fun".
Few months ago I was in your shoes after replacing every sensor, replacing HPOP, ICP, IPR , EGR delete, ARP studs.....so I drained the oil out really good and I almost gave up completely, when my truck finally started up. I used the gas rag trick, used starter fluid very gently - I know it's hard on the engine, but what can you do? - and I clamped on a high output Charger/starter , and after 1 hour of constant try, the truck started.....

Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 PM
HugeF350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dcaddi2
Under your oil cooler, you have an oil "reservoir", that holds about 1-2 quarts of oil. This feeds the HPOP. Even your truck cranked up, and the HPOP get primed, the oil pump didn't pump any oil up to this reservoir - I assume this, because you had no oil pressure reading on the gauge. The HPOP used up all that oil, and now it needs to be primed. Now you probably have oil there, but imagine the poor pump to try to compress the air through the lines, and pick up the oil, to build 500 psi to fire the injectors. You will have a lot of "fun".
Few months ago I was in your shoes after replacing every sensor, replacing HPOP, ICP, IPR , EGR delete, ARP studs.....so I drained the oil out really good and I almost gave up completely, when my truck finally started up. I used the gas rag trick, used starter fluid very gently - I know it's hard on the engine, but what can you do? - and I clamped on a high output Charger/starter , and after 1 hour of constant try, the truck started.....

I thought about doing this exact thing. In fact I have been looking all day trying to find a high output charger/starter to rent.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:05 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Why in the world did you take the filter housings off? You dont need to to get the intake off. Or the FICM.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
HugeF350
Freshman User
I took the intake completely out so that I could clean out all of the carbon as per the instructions that came with the kit.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:46 AM
HugeF350
Freshman User
Here is what I have so far... The oil pressure is reaching 400 psi but will not climb higher than that. The IPR is maxing out at 80% which is the default I believe when the engine is not building enough oil pressure. Could the IPR be sticking?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:21 AM
dieselflash
Freshman User
ive seen alot of ipr valves stick after having oil coolers replaced but i guess it could be happening to yours since you had your filter housings off, it only takes a tiny tiny piece of dirt to screw up everything

Old 12-31-2008, 12:26 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HugeF350
I took the intake completely out so that I could clean out all of the carbon as per the instructions that came with the kit.

FYI, you dont have to pull them to get the intake off.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:01 PM
HugeF350
Freshman User
Yeah I realize that now. Well the guy changed the IPR valve. 350.00 bucks later he realizes that it is not the cause. The oil pressure got up to 450 psi but that's it. This is getting frustrating

Old 12-31-2008, 01:34 PM
HugeF350
Freshman User
I was reading in the 6.0 bible and found a section on diagnostics. It states that:

here is the way it is ground:

could this be the cause?

Quick Reply: Help please! EGR Bypass is complete, now engine wont start...