Kentucky Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SideWinder4.9l

left Florida it was 82 degrees got back in Kentucky it was 35

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
left Florida it was 82 degrees got back in Kentucky it was 35

thats right guys, my wife and I got back late last night and it was about 35 degrees out there. hmm come to think about it that was just a bit warmer than when I had left the state Wed night.

The drive back down and back was not too bad. took 75 down to 10 to get to her dad's and we took 95-26-40-75 on the way back. Have been told that way is quicker. From the traffic I saw on the way back I would have been P.O'd with the people who told me that way is quicker. No accidents but 95south was more or less backed up from Fl into South Carolina.

There was definitely no complaints about the weather down that way.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 PM
whjco
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryan,

You went to Florida and left the rest of us here in the rain and the cold and now want us to feel sorry for you? I've also found it quicker to take the I-95/26/40/75 route mostly because you miss all the Atlanta traffic. We'll also sometimes take a break from the Interstate and take US 25E between Corbin, KY and Morristown, TN. Not necessarily faster, but you miss Knoxville and it's a pretty drive. I also sometimes take either US 21 or US 321 south of Columbia, SC to the junction of I-95 north of Savannah, GA. It's mostly two lane but also a nice break from the Interstate.

We're sure looking forward to going to Hilton Head Is., SC the first week of February!

Glad you made it home okay!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:41 PM
rywegh
Cargo Master
I don't mind Atlanta as I usually go through there about 3am or so. Traffic is not an issue at that time. My best time for going to FL... I left the white castle in Florence 1030p and was at the welcome center in Fl 730a would have been there about an hour earlier if my dad hadn't woken up outside of Turner Field.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM
whjco
Elder User
My little brother used to live near Chattanooga. That stretch of I-75 between Chattanooga and Atlanta is one wild piece of Interstate and it seems that the average speed is 80 mph. One time I was helping my other brother move to Savannah, GA and was in the far left lane with a large Penske 6-wheel box truck that was governored at 75 mph and there was a semi in the far right lane. Another semi doing about 90 mph busted between us and the compression literally blew us off the road, at least the left front and rear tires hit the median.

The same brother later bought a '56 Volkswagen oval in Bowling Green and I was hauling it to Savannah in our 24' car trailer and hit Atlanta during rush hour. It was a nightmare, particularly when I had to change lanes since no one would let you over. It seemed like every road junction would bring the traffic to a halt and then once you cleared the junction you were back to 75 or 80 then lock them up again for the next junction. I swore I'd never again try to take a trailer though Atlanta unless it was the middle of the night.

I'm looking forward to our vacation in Hilton Head next month. If we have time, we like to get off of the Interstate and drive some of the back roads and see some scenery.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
rywegh
Cargo Master
sounds like a good time. Have fun and stay safe.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:06 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Florida, how sweet it would be. BUT KENTUCKY IS THE PLACE FOR ME! Ryan we need to get together so I can show off my beast.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 PM
whjco
Elder User
An 88 Bronco with a 6.9 IDI? I'll bet that's one fun beast!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:22 AM
rywegh
Cargo Master
YEah Buck bought the truck from me a few years ago and proceeded to do the swap of his "dreams" LOL. We will Buck, we will. At the moment its not like I don't have time, geez. I wouldn't mind getting another like the white 95 I had but with the baby coming I am going to have to get out of the Ranger and get into something else. I like the SUV's more than a truck. Just got to get a full time job and then look for a new to me truck.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:47 PM
whjco
Elder User
Ryan, there's some pretty good deals on Excursions out there right now.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, I know Bill is in Lexington thanks to his signature, and Ryan is over in the Florence are, But where are you Buck? I'm near Alexandria.

Ryan, what kind of truck are you looking for? Let me know, and if I see something I'll forward the info to you.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:08 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Global warming!! Going to be around 9 degrees on Thursday.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I live a couple miles east of petersburg. I do get some funny looks from people whe nthey hear my bronco and see the black smoke! Bet some even think to themselves "Man I never knew they made a diesel bronco."

Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 PM
whjco
Elder User
Originally Posted by kenpobuck
I live a couple miles east of petersburg. I do get some funny looks from people whe nthey hear my bronco and see the black smoke! Bet some even think to themselves "Man I never knew they made a diesel bronco."
. . . . or think "gee he's really got 02 sensor problems and a bunch of bad lifters!"

Old 01-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Oggie
Freshman User
Dang, Ryan, I'd have just stayed down there. Call me Snowbird. Bill, there's a reason truck drivers call Atlanta's rush hour the Watermelon 500. You go 500 feet and then you sit long enough to eat a melon.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:34 AM
whjco
Elder User
Originally Posted by Oggie
Dang, Ryan, I'd have just stayed down there. Call me Snowbird. Bill, there's a reason truck drivers call Atlanta's rush hour the Watermelon 500. You go 500 feet and then you sit long enough to eat a melon.
I hadn't heard that one! Thanks for the laugh!