Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Posting Guru

3golfjack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.3golfjack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Getting ahead of myself

Anyone building there truck buy something for their truck a year or two before they can use it?
I get on Ebay and see stuff and that feeling comes over that I,ve got to have it and the next thing I know I,m explaining to my wife how much money I just spent. I bought some Dolphin gauges this week and after I got them i got to thinking it may be at least a year or two before I need them.

1956 F100 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ld-photos.html
1996 Ranger- daily driver
Old 12-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Post Fiend

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
If the price is right, it's time to buy. Stuff isn't going to get any cheaper. I've had parts for over two years before they saw active duty!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:41 PM
I'll have the Roast Duck

havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Havi Ina Ford
Agreed! never too early. it's all part of the planning. I bought bumpers for my Mercury, two years ago, and I haven't even started on that car....and probably won't for another 10 years....no really! It's 5th on the list. I'm susceptible to buying parts before they're needed, including more projects. Believe me, I have much more important things to buy to get the current projects rolling, but I don't. There's gotta be a happy medium somewhere, lol.
The rest are just average.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Yep the guys are right....and I think you know the answer to this too....

Have you ever seen that widget you needed at a decent price and not gotten it thinking another one will pop up...and it never does. There are a few things I bought three years ago that have never come up again.

If that doesn't convince you then look at it this way...NOTHING is getting cheaper including shipping. Better now than later.

Get it when you can. And just tell your wife "Julie said it's ok!" "JULIE WHO????" (Tee hee...you'll be sleeping out in the garage with the truck)!

Good luck,
Julie!!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Bring out the best!

Mr Mayo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, I do it all the time. I've got boxes of stuff that I know I won't be using for a while. In my optimistic times, I think it will be less than 2 years before I need them, but realistically, it's likely to take longer than that to get my truck on the road.

The only drawback to buying parts ahead of time (aside from explaining to the spouse) is that you may change your mind on which direction to go with particular items. Then you sell what you bought on eBay to one of us, and hope you get out what you put in!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Darksider

rtcalabrojr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did the same thing. ITs been over seven years now and still working on it!

1955 F100
351c/c6 8.8 3:73 posi MII airbags
I smell cookies! click to check out the truck
http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad37/rtcalabrojr/
Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
I bought my truck in July, 2000, the replacement wiring harness in Dec 2001 for XMAS, and I installed it this year!..

Sam
Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Posting Guru

Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.
You guys nuts, I would never do that!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Junior User

simonzelotes is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think we all do what you're doing, Jack, but one thing I would suggest is when you do get a part, if at all possible make sure it works and fits before you shelve it so you don't try to return something that's a few years old....
Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Diesel Junky

mechmagcn has a good reputation on FTE.mechmagcn has a good reputation on FTE.mechmagcn has a good reputation on FTE.
I too am guilty of this. I am having too much fun driving my truck to tear it apart for body work and paint prep, but I already have the needed patch panels and even the weatherstripping and anti-rattle kits for the doors.

1953 F100 PU "Someday"

Lincoln Town Car front clip

5 cyl Mercedes turbo diesel/auto

It Runs! It Even Moves!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Post Fiend

56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old F1 View Post
You guys nuts, I would never do that!

Click the image to open in full size.
What's the plan for the teddy,ha ha
Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Elder User

Last Chance 56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Keep in mind any warranties that may apply with a product.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks