Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB radio mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:16 PM
stranskydw
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB radio mounts

My son wanted a cb radio for our ford f250 for christmas. So, i got the cb and the dual antennas. My son and I were out looking at the truck and where to mount it at. The idea was to moutn it from the roof but to do that, we would have to take down the whole head liner and teh whole 9 yards. We were also thinking about mounting it underneath of the dash. But we couldnt figure that out either. Does anyone have any advice on what to do about this? does anyone have a cb radio on their truck? thanks for looking
David

Old 12-27-2008, 04:12 PM
12engine
Postmaster
Dave,
Im havin the same prob with my 94 F150.
i used to have a small radio that fit really good in the pocket next to the steering wheel. I upgraded to a Cobra 29LTD which is much larger and heavier than my previous radio. Im gunna mount mine on the roof big rig style after it gets souped up. im gunna have to make a custom drop bracket so i can actually read the channel display. right now it rides on the dash and i have to hold onto it around turns or itll go flying.

the size of your radio determines your mounting options.

fyi, unless the antennas are 10 or more feet apart, it actually hurts the reception, or so im told. thats why the big rigs mount their antennas on the mirrors.

just my 2 cents. good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 PM
truckrider814
Posting Guru

The set up i have probably isn't the best but i didn't want to put hole's in the dash. what i did was i took a postal strap(alagator clip on one side and strap attatched to it) put it in a loop and opened the ash tray stuck the cb center and wrapped the strap around it on top of the lighter and tightend it. for the coax cable (i have mine on the roof) ran the wire under the truck and throgh the passenger door there's a seem from the front quarter panel and door sill, stuck the coax in that and through the door jamb and ran it be hinde the inside pannel and under the carpet up top and stright to the cb. again it probably aint the best and not really pretty(matches tho cause the strap is blue and so is the interior) but it works and you can still use the lighter.

Hope this helps
Kyle

Old 12-27-2008, 05:13 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 12engine
Dave,
Im havin the same prob with my 94 F150.
i used to have a small radio that fit really good in the pocket next to the steering wheel. I upgraded to a Cobra 29LTD which is much larger and heavier than my previous radio. Im gunna mount mine on the roof big rig style after it gets souped up. im gunna have to make a custom drop bracket so i can actually read the channel display. right now it rides on the dash and i have to hold onto it around turns or itll go flying.

the size of your radio determines your mounting options.

fyi, unless the antennas are 10 or more feet apart, it actually hurts the reception, or so im told. thats why the big rigs mount their antennas on the mirrors.

just my 2 cents. good luck and let us know how it turns out.
im putting two on my truck... but only going to wire up one... makes it look better without any reception loss...

Old 12-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Arctic Wolf
Senior User
I use to run CB's all the time.A poor mans cell phone. My '77 I mounted the radio to the roof just looked for a cross brace and drilled a couple holes Thank goodness I didnt go through the roof. In my '80 I ran the radio on the dash. What a headache that was. It always got hot when the heater was on and never worked proper. I bought a '87 were it once had a CB and they mounted it to the passengers side on the floor.
IMHO Id mount it to the roof pull down the headliner and go for it. Youll only do it once and itll look 10 times better then anywhere else you can think of. My 2 pennies

Old 12-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Fordenthusiasts
Tuned
I am having the same problem. I have a Uniden 78 elite, which is as big as the cobra 29ltd, and I can't decide where to put it. I thought about on the roof, but being that the radio is so big and heavy and that I drive in some pretty rough terrain I am afraid to mount it there. I'm thinking of mounting it straight up and down where my cup holders are since I don't use my cup holders any how.

Plus I don't know what you are talking about the dual antenna, loss of reception thing. Me and a friend have dual 4 foot Firestick II's mounted on either side of the bed right behind the cab, and we can get 7-8 miles out of them. Which is better than any of our other friends can get with a single antenna. The trick is buying quality antenna(s) and coax, and tuning the antenna(s) with an SWR meter.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:47 AM
Dwayne3406
New User
Sounds expensive, but the best way I've found is this headliner it ranges from 250-300 plus shipping but its a god send. My cousin has one in his F250 and he wouldn't change it for the world. He cut the liner at the front and mounted the CB in that space, I believe that's what it's intended purpose is. Plus you get a better dome light and more speakers. Also, on the antenna thing I just run a single Wilson Trucker 5000 and a dummy passenger side regular whip antenna for looks.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:00 AM
Dwayne3406
New User
Originally Posted by Fordenthusiasts
I have a Uniden 78 elite.
Here's my Uniden PC-78LTW work done by Appalachia CB Shop in Knoxville, TN.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:18 PM
borgman72000
New User
I've been considering using this and mounting the CB to the underside.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Fordenthusiasts
Tuned
Dwayne, nice cb, cool *****. Have you got it peeked and tuned or are you running it stock? Whoops got a little of topic there.

If you were to put it on the roof I think that it would look very nice, and if you are tall like me it would be easy to read and less distracting from the road than looking down at it.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:01 PM
MisterDave2
Elder User
None now, but I had a good collection of CBs over the years, and all mine were set up real good with good power and SWR matches. Another vote for running the duals off the mirrors and don't worry about it, they work absolutely fine if they are quality pieces. They're meant to run in pairs and the cables are usually different than the singles to. Mount away from heat is better, but headliners get hot in summer too. OK enjoy!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:27 PM
48' fordster
Elder User
I just finished installing my Cobra 29ltd with bluetooth in the headliner of my '94. it took pretty much all day but it looks good. I will take and post pictures tomorrow. I basically took down the headliner and all the plastic trim then marked and cut into the inner roof of the cab so the cb would fit in better and so that all the wire could be hidden into the roof. I then made a mounting bracket out a square piece of aluminum square that i placed under her headliner and mounted to the inner roof so the cb would be readable and not face upwards too much. I then put the headliner over the aluminum square bracket and then mounted the cb for a clean look. All wires are running from the top behind the trim and then out to their specific locations. i know this really doesnt make to much sense but i will take pictures tomorrow. feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:52 AM
stranskydw
Junior User
Alec,
Pics would be great. the headliner is sagging anyway so I have to deal with that. leaning toward a stock liner as I can not find a molded replacement that has a mounting surface. Sreached the web and came up empty handed. Does anyone know where the mold type can be had?

Still have not tracked down that vacuum leak under the hood.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:14 AM
guitarnik
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i mounted mine under the glove box on the drivers side of the passenger dash sorta off center of the middle of the truck, hafta lean over to mess with it but its out of the way and it was quick andd easy in and out

Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 PM
48' fordster
Elder User
This is my headliner mount. Read above for the info on how i did it. I'm only 17 so this was really the best I could do, im really picky about wires being seen so thats y I decided to do it this way.

Cobra 29LTD BT cb radio install in headliner.

Head on view

hole I cut in headliner and roof

One more view of the hole.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.
thanks, let me know what you all think.

Quick Reply: CB radio mounts