1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L.E.D. Lighting, good quality? Any bright Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:49 PM
LOADED 06 PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L.E.D. Lighting, good quality? Any bright Ideas?

I've got a 06 f350 and looking to change all my factory lighting to LED's inside and out. Tailights, mirror lights, 3rd brake light and dome lights. Anyone have these things worth telling me where to get them. Anyone like or dislike them? Thanks in advanced,

Old 12-26-2008, 09:56 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
There are good and bad points to LEDs. LED lamps offer directional light only and typically in very narrow beams. The are nice if you a small beam of light pointed in one direction, but not so good if you want flood illumination. Unless you build reflectors or diffusers to spread the light, they suck for interior lights.

I dislike the replacement LED bulbs too, they don't offer much if any light to the reflector. So they don't light the whole lamp equally, you end up with shapes and designs shinning on the lenses.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:26 PM
dew the thunder
Elder User
Are you just wanting LED replacement style bulbs for your tail lights or the full LED tail light assemblies? I have all of the above with the exception of mirror lights. I love the look of my LED tail light assemblies and the third brake light. They really change the back end of the truck up. The LED dome lights really aren't that bad. They light up pretty good but as ReAX said LEDs only offer directional light... about a 30º angle if IIRC. But all in all, I love everything I've switched to LED.

Third brake - PUTCO... I custom smoked it with VHT Nite Shades
LED tail lights - eBay
Dome lights - RECON

Old 12-27-2008, 12:08 AM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

I was looking at the recon led roof lights with the smoke cover also. Has anyone seen them on and are they as bright as the bulb lights?

Old 12-27-2008, 05:57 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all the bulbs in and out side of my truck are now LED's..the great thing about LED's is they glow alot more with out being bright..just look at the ground around my tuck..even the green LED head lights glow in front of the truck down on the ground..i dont have night shots of the azz end ether but you can see the tail lights glow up in them pix..they make a wide glow and narrow beam lights and a off set bulbs..just watch what you buy and what your buying it for....in cab are all blue LED's..i never did take any good pix of them yet...as you can see the cam i use sucks...

the tail lights reflects off of the garage door about 25 feet away

Old 12-27-2008, 06:06 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
i got most of mine from these sites..the running lights came from a local truck shop..
http://superlumination.com/3157_3156.htm

http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

Old 12-27-2008, 06:24 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
these are good and are what i have for parking/ brake/turn on the rear and for parking/turn up front

side makers

my dash and gauge bulbs

my dash cluster is a custom white cluster that had the blue LEDS already installed..my green head lights are called a 194 flank..i cant find the pic now..but when lights are off you cant see the the bulb in the head light unless you get right up to it...

Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 AM
LOADED 06 PSD
Senior User
Yeah I would like to change my bulbs only for the dome light and tail/3rd brake and mirror lights I want to change the whole assm.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:26 AM
LOADED 06 PSD
Senior User
Great Pics, you truck looks bad@ss

Old 12-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run LED spider bulbs on my tail lights. I got mine from superbrightleds.com Thy spread out into the reflector. Works well for spreading the light out. For the record, the more bulbs the element has, the better. LEDS are not terribly bright on their own, in order to be visible in daylight conditions, you have to have enough of them. If you use a complete LED taillight assembly, they use the proper number, just choose one you like.

I would not use the LEDS for the dome lights, their color spectrum is too narrow. Remember the early compact fluorescent bulbs. They looked bright and had a hot color shift, yet it was difficult to tell the different between red, pink, and orange. Yes, you can see, but color is lacking in certain spectrum ranges. But I would run LEDS in the instrument cluster.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:25 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Hey Ron, I think you told me about switching to LEDs and needing the resistors to make the blinker work once you swapo the bulbs. Do you only need to add those to the front blinker wiring or both if you do LEDs all the way around? This is on my growing want list.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:33 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
one for each side doesnt matter front or rear..i have one behind each rear tail light cause they stay salt free in the winter..this way the trailer lights are still hooked up stock..if you put LED's in your trailer lights..you will need to add them to the trailer side of the lights or at that point just change the flasher...

Old 12-27-2008, 04:44 PM
sofdchief
Senior User
I have LED 3rd brake light as well as Mirror lights....and I will offer just one piece of advice.

I purchased Putco LED mirror lights and installed them in my '06. I liked these lights quite a bit. They looked good and had excellent fit/finish on the truck. Unfortunately, i had a jacka$$ in Lake Placid, NY come over the centerline and smack my driver side mirror, destroying the lens. I happened to find a decent deal on the RECON version, and theirs was a little more "smoked" than the Putco, so I purchased them to replace the Putcos. PLEASE....DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!! The RECON lenses look nice.....however, the fit/finish is HORRIBLE. I contacted RECON directly and they could care less. If you don't buy it DIRECTLY from them at retail cost, they DO NOT back their product AT ALL.

I'm not going to go in to tremendous detail about the issues I have had with them, but just thought I would offer my experiences for your consideration. The next time I replace them, I will be going back to Putco for sure!