2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Undercoat Yes / No??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:55 PM
magnet1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody Undercoat Yes / No??

I was considering undercoating my whole truck to prevent future frame and bed rust. There are a lot of companies that do a good job in my area. On the other hand Ive had the dealer tell me that undercoating is bad because if it gets chipped by a stone the water will get behind the coating and rust the metal faster than normal. I dont know which to beleive. I dont fully trust the dealer because he was trying to sell me one of their factory chemical sprays instead. If any body has had it done, or has heard of any problems; Could you please let me know.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:07 PM
BayouSupercrew
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a show called Dream Car garage I watch on Speed, they advertise some stuff that is supposed to be good up there in Snow country...http://www.krown.com/#default

But I think in general in my area thats a thing of the past...dunno know about up there.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mine is Ziebart'd courtesy of the dealer who does it to every new vehicle he sells. Don't see how the stuff can chip honestly. Don't forget that rustproofing also goes INSIDE the doors to prevent the bottoms of the doors from rusting out. I happen to believe it is worth the investment.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
due to the advances in paint and metal technology...and the fact that alot of places have gone away from using salt...I think that those coatings are useless

but hey, if it makes you happy, go for it.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:32 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i have used KROWN for 20 years on all my Ford trucks, GMC vans and a Crown Vic for 8 years; never had any rust on any of them. They drill holes in the inner door panels, take out the tail lights and spray deep inside with a long wand and all around the undercarriage.
With the amount of salt on Canadian roads, it is a hundred bucks well spent!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:28 AM
magnet1
Senior User
Unfortunately Tylus; Over here in PA, They not only over salt the roads; But are now using a brine calcium by product that they spray before a storm, and this stuff eats away at everything especially wiring, worse than any salt. As for all my cars, I own Volvos which are made in Sweden and probably have the best rustproofing I have ever seen. But since my truck is a daily driver, especially in the winter, I want to protect it the best I can.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Undercoatings are an additional layer of protection. As for rocks chipping the coating and allowing moisture to get behind the surface that is a minor hazard compared to the the prevention of paint chipping due to those same rocks. I have actually contemplated having a bed liner coating applied to really provide protection. BTW When we bought the '08 there was a charge for undercoating that I did not order. But I was buying from dealer stock. When I inspected the truck I found that the coating was missing from a lot of the surface. I made them redo the job to my satisfaction.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:51 AM
442w30
Senior User
Never had much luck with these coatings when I lived in Michigan, stuff would plug factory drain holes in panels. Brother-in-law has a body shop and I saw way too many opened panels on cars being repaired to convince me that it is just a feel good marketing hype. You have some minumum wage kid drilling holes and sticking a spray tip into doors etc.... never a solid coverage. IMHO

Old 12-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did it when I got my '05 just a year ago. It was a super Ziebart sale and they knocked even more off because I was doing a bedliner (the main reason I came in). The trucks are pretty well rust protected these days, both in the use of plastics and with better paint and metal. With the undercoat, I suspect I'm even better protected. I reviewed all the plusses and minuses and had originally decided not to do it, based simply on the cost/benefit ratio (I am good about washing the salt off regularly). When they did it for about 40 percent of retail, I said what the heck. I did have to go in and unplug a few weep holes after. No serious biggie. Time will tell if it's a worthwhile investment. The truck is noticeably quieter. You have to deal with a "hot tar" smell for a while after and it will drip black stuff or a couple of weeks, as well as a waxy kinda stuff from the doors. I live down a half-mile gravel lane and, thus far, the stones have not penatrated the coating anywhere that I can see.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus
due to the advances in paint and metal technology...and the fact that alot of places have gone away from using salt...I think that those coatings are useless
Stay in Hawaii long enough and you'll get your cars Ziebart'd (or similar). Year 'round salty air will wreak havoc on your cars/trucks here.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:59 PM
brianjwilson
Senior User
I may get mine undercoated. Got it in Ohio and it is already rusty everywhere. Bunch of sissies spray the roads and dump salt for a light dusting of snow around here and rust everything like crazy. Never had this in Oregon.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Flying_Dutchman
Posting Guru
I was under the impression that undercoating was a dealer scam to get more money from the customer.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:40 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know one of the popular things done in Northern New England is to coat the underside of the vehicles in a very heavy grease. Through the course of the winter, I guess it slowly dissipates, and is gone for the most part in the spring.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:52 PM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well before this winter i was going to used spray on bed liner in the wheel wells and some other spots and paint the frame ..but ran out of time before the rain and snow started flying this year ...i live in pa too and they hammer the roads with salt and old trucks rust like no tomorrow ....where i live they do such a good job salting, they salt the road and side walk with my truck and other cars in the middle

Old 12-25-2008, 09:45 PM
magnet1
Senior User
I hear that. The new brine solution they are spraying (the white stripes sprayed on the road before a storm) are really taking their toll. I also use bed liner spray in my wheel wells for a clean protected look along with tire spraying the wells with my tires; It makes the surface a little slick which looks good and repels dirt for a bit.

Quick Reply: Anybody Undercoat Yes / No??