What happens?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What happens?

94.5 PSD
Im taking my valve covers off to make sure the injectors are tight and checking out my wiring because the truck runs badly.
What happens when you unplug the wire going to the injector?
Could I find a bad injector unplugging the wires one at a time?
Unplug , start truck and see if it runs any worse?
If it doesnt run any worse Id have a problem with that injector?

Old 12-24-2008, 08:10 PM
stephen.south
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well with the valve covers off, prepare to get alot of oil all over everything in the engine compartment

Old 12-24-2008, 08:33 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vinford
94.5 PSD
Im taking my valve covers off to make sure the injectors are tight and checking out my wiring because the truck runs badly.
What happens when you unplug the wire going to the injector?
Could I find a bad injector unplugging the wires one at a time?
Unplug , start truck and see if it runs any worse?
If it doesnt run any worse Id have a problem with that injector?
Yeah, that'll work but there's an easier way. Before you pull the valve covers you can unplug two at a time right at the pass thru connection in the VC gasket. That will narrow it down to which bank and which two injectors. At that point you can then remove that VC and unplug either of the 2 injectors 1 at a time.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:38 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stephen.south
Well with the valve covers off, prepare to get alot of oil all over everything in the engine compartment
That's not messy at all. I've ran mine a number of times with the VC's off. Most of the oil under there comes from the oil spill spouts on the injectors and a lil bit from the rockers but it all runs back thru the drain in the head.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by BlueMule
Yeah, that'll work but there's an easier way. Before you pull the valve covers you can unplug two at a time right at the pass thru connection in the VC gasket. That will narrow it down to which bank and which two injectors. At that point you can then remove that VC and unplug either of the 2 injectors 1 at a time.
I wondered about that.......thank you.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Will putting new o-rings on the injectors help smoking?

Old 12-24-2008, 09:25 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Unscrew your fuel filter cap and check the color of the fuel in it and the color of your filter... chances are if the fuel is dark and or the filter is blackened, you probably have the high pressure oil o rings on one or more injectors leaking a small amount of oil into the fuel, some of which returns from the fuel rail in the head, back to the filter housing. Having high pressure oil leakage past the rings on an injector can cause a miss or poor performance because the loss of high pressure, even by a small amount of leakage will cause the affected injector to spray less fuel and have a poor spray pattern.
If your truck has over 130k and has never had the injectors re sealed... especially on older PSDs, seal erosion and leakage is common...it's also common with loose injectors... the early ones, I've been told had the injector hold down bolts torqued less than later models, sometimes allowing the bolts to loosen. Also ford has gone through at least a couple different upgrades of seal materials... the latests is the bestest... someone else here will be able to supply the latest greatest part numbers if you go that far.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

There was black in my fuel bowl when I had it apart.
The o-rings are only $60 bucks on Ebay and it doesnt look like its a big deal to change them , so I might as well do it. Right?
Its got over 130K on it and I imagine nothings ever been done to it.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 PM
live2wheel
Senior User
i just went through this . couple of pages back, thread 'power smoker'. i had it narrowed down to the drivers side. after i got the valve covers off 2 of the injectors on that side were not torqued down anymore. i'm talking went to put the wrench on the bolt and it was loose. the copper crush gasket on one was completely gone. i didnt have any color in the fuel bowl. i'd pull the valve covers and see what you can see and go from there.
by the way , i had lots and i mean lots of smoke.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by live2wheel
i just went through this . couple of pages back, thread 'power smoker'. i had it narrowed down to the drivers side. after i got the valve covers off 2 of the injectors on that side were not torqued down anymore. i'm talking went to put the wrench on the bolt and it was loose. the copper crush gasket on one was completely gone. i didnt have any color in the fuel bowl. i'd pull the valve covers and see what you can see and go from there.
by the way , i had lots and i mean lots of smoke.
Your thread was where io got my idea to check bolts for being tight.
Did you change your o-rings?
Its pretty straight forward isnt it?

Old 12-24-2008, 10:00 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Well thats good... and not so good... it's not a particularly tough job except for the rear injector on the passenger side... you probably will have to take the outer half of your AC/Evaporator housing off to get clearance to pull the injector out. Remove the two large plugs ( one on each side at the rear of the head ) to drain the oil out of the high pressure oil gallery. and loosen the small plug ( 1/4 inch square drive ) on each side to allow the fuel rail on each side to drain. Do this before you start, to lessen the amount of fuel and engine oil that goes into the cylinders when you pull the injectors. When you put the new seals on the injectors, push them straight on from the tip starting with the bottom one.... working them on otherwise can stretch them too much and cause a bigger leak than the one you have now. Make sure you have a new copper compression seal on the end of each injector, held in place with a dab of grease... use clean engine oil to lube the injector rings. When your done with prepping the injectors for installation, use a source of vaccum ( like a air powered mighty vac ) to suck out any liquid fuel or oil from each cylinder prior to re installing the injector. Failure to get the oil or fuel out can cause hydrostatic lock on the motor and bend connecting rods and cracked pistons. Put your oil galley plugs back in and tighten up the fuel rail plugs you loosened before... At this point, I take the glow plugs out and spin the engine a few moments with the under valve cover harness still disconnected... This serves two purposes... it blows out any remaining raw fuel / oil from the cylinders and re primes both the oil and fuel rails in the heads... put the glows back in,re connect all wiring and covers and spin er til she starts... warm it up a little bit and run er down the road at at least 2000 rpm for about 4 or 5 miles to purge any air from the HPOP and oil rails and fuel system... Thats it... yer good to go

Old 12-24-2008, 10:07 PM
live2wheel
Senior User
i sent my injectors off to dzl jim. he said the one got cooked real good that had no copper gasket left. they were real easy to take out . i was glad to see a problem . they are on their way back now . still waiting. i read some threads on injectors . i had no supprises. you having color in your fuel could mean its just your o rings, not the copper gasket. which would mean the bolts would still be torqued. just o rings would be easy.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:20 PM
RMPC
Senior User
You always want to replace the copper compression seal at the bottom of the injector any time you pull the injector... dont do it and ya take a big chance on combustion gasses leaking by a used copper and blowing out your brand new bottom fuel rail seal......a little .50 cent copper washer is pretty small potatoes compared to time spent redoing the whole job. If that happens... it's pretty evident... high pressure gasses blow all the fuel out of the rail or at least put a LOT of air into the fuel system.... not to mention the raw fuel that leaks into that cylinder the other three strokes of the affected cylinder...at 50 to 80 psi.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:32 PM
live2wheel
Senior User
i didnt mean you dont have to replace the copper gasket , thats what failed on mine, thats why it wasnt torqed anymore. cooked the end of the injector and and need replacing.
and yes raw fuel into the cylinder on 3 strokes = lots of smoke ,believe me

Old 12-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by live2wheel
i didnt mean you dont have to replace the copper gasket , thats what failed on mine, thats why it wasnt torqed anymore. cooked the end of the injector and and need replacing.
and yes raw fuel into the cylinder on 3 strokes = lots of smoke ,believe me
Did it smoke all the time?
Mine smokes kinda bad at start up , but for some reason really smokes when you let off on it going downhill?

How much does it cost to get injectors redon?

Quick Reply: What happens?