Help.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help.........

Hello folks.

I have a problem maybe someone from this board can help me out?

My wife has a 2007 Ranger Sport 5spd 4x4.

The problem is when the truck is driven in 4 wheel drive every so often the truck feels like it just drove over a bump or something like a piece of wood on the road, it feels like the transfer case disengages for a second and then re-engages again.

We live in Canada and are driving in slippery snowy conditions when this happens, to my knowledge it has not happened in 2 wheel drive.

We took it to the local Ford dealer near us and the mechanic said he has not seen this condition before, he spoke with Ford technical department and they told him to replace the transfer case fluid because there have been some problems related to this.

He replaced the fluid and test drove the truck and said he no longer felt the problem was present.

My wife and I drove home me in my 79 Bronco (gotta brag LOL)
My wife in her 2007 Ranger about 12 miles distance problem occurred about 12 times on the way home, so problem is not gone.

Does anyone know of this problem or has heard of one like it?

Any help would be gladly accepted.

Rick.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
My '93 was doing something kinda like that while trying to disengage. The systems are radically different in many respects, but I'd still suggest checking the hubs and the case motor to begin with. Changing fluid a fine idea, but if it has enough, that's probably not causing what you've described. As I understand them. A lot of guys on here work thiers a lot harder though. You got your ears on Wendell?

Old 12-24-2008, 04:50 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Take it back to the dealer and tell the tech to take it for a long test drive. It has to act up for them so they know what to fix.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:21 AM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
It's going back to dealer this morning.

The tech did experience the problem, said he's never seen this problem before.

The tech called Ford tech support and all they told him was change transfer case fluid, he asked why they would not tell him any more than they have had past problems with fluid.

He changed the fluid and thought the problem was gone but we found out on the way home problem is not only still present but getting worse.

Dealership and Ford have a chance to shine here, let's see what happens.

TIA, Rick.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:53 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
I would suggest that you have the tech ride with you while you drive so you are both on the same page. It's alot cheaper for them to replace fluid than any major components so they sometimes take the cheap approach. There is unfortunately a vast difference in skill level amongst the techs. Find the most experienced one at the dealership and stay on them till it's fixed. It doesn't hurt to deal directly with the head management(owner) at the dealer so they are aware of the problem . Make sure everything is documented in writing for you to keep in case you have problems once the warranty expires ( I assume it hasn't) or for coverage on the repair if it isn't .If all fails call Ford corporate customer service (in owners manual) and complain loudly. Good luck.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:00 PM
5.0B2
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you recently put new tires on just the front or the rear? Even tires of the same brand and size can be a problem if they are not all 4 changes at once. If there is more than 1/8" difference in circumference, there can be a transfer case wind-up (bind) that will result in the condition you are describing. It may not be what's happening to to yours but I've experienced it a number of times and it's always been this cause.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:31 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Well if the tech heard the problem and the fluid change didn't fix it, I wouldn't worry. They have to keeping trying untill they do fix it. They either need to tear down the t-case or replace it if thats where the problem is. Ford has used thede same t-cases in the ranger for years without much issue. Out of the 5 4x4 rangers that I've owned, I've never had a t-case issue, so it's a pretty solid unit, So I'm sure t-case issue's aren't a common problem. They could just ship the faulity case back to borg warrener and just put in a new one to save time and hassle if thats where the problem is. Anyway, under warrenty, it's there job to find and fix the issue. I've never had a problem with warrenty work from ford. I must say however, that I've never had to have a lot of warrenty work done, but a few misc things over the years and they've allways been good about it. I would drop it off at the dealer and tell them to give me a call when it's fixed, pretty much that simple. "Merry Christmass Big Red Truck"!!!!!!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Merry Christmas to you as well Wendell.

I can't say if the warrenty will be the problem or not my hope is it is not.

My problem for the moment is the local Ford dealer is pretty much useless IMO
we asked that they take the Ranger in on the 24th of dec to and keep it until the problem is fixed, just give us a loaner vehicle to use over the Christmas holiday because we had planned on visiting family about 169 miles from home.

First question they ask is do you have extended warrenty, I say the truck is only a year old and covered bumper to bumper by Ford warrenty.

They say well unless our mechanic thinks the truck is unsafe we cannot give you a rental car and we don't do loaner cars.

I said well you are closed at 2pm today and you are probably not going to be able to fix the ranger today is that correct, she says yes.

I say so if the vehicle is out of service for more than 8 hours we are entitled to a free rental correct. she says yes but we won't know that until after the holidays.

This is a prime example of a dealership having an opportunity to help out a long time Ford customer and give themselves and Ford a good name.

Instead they choose to treat us poorly, we called the Ford dealer we bought the Ranger from they said they will gladly give us a loaner and make the ranger right.

Too bad we have to buy and get service from a Ford dealer who is a 50 minute drive from our home.

Funny thing is we know of several other folks in our area that also had to buy from this dealership if they wanted to be treated fairly and wanted to buy a Ford.

I just don't know if I'm prepared to travel 50 minutes for the next Ford.

Also at the end of our conversation with the lady(assistant service manager)
at the local Ford dealership I said I guess it really does matter which Ford dealership you buy your Ford from she said yes that's true, how sad is that?

Rick.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:03 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I have delt with the same dealer for 20 years, I can get a loaner on request. They bend over backwards to help me, thats why I keep going back. They will even sugest a loaner if they think the job is going to take a while. Shop your dealer as well as your vehicle. I have a small town dealer in the heart of farm country, repeat business is how they survive.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:27 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
I feel your pain and have had issues with dealer I purchased from also. I found better service at a local dealership. The one time I took mine in for service at the selling dealer it took three visits (two rack and pinion units and a hose) to fix the problem. When the second rack acted up I took it to the local dealer to have them inspect it and they found that the selling dealer put the incorrect rack (for a V6 not 4 cylinder) on the car. I deal with only one mechanic at the dealership and have never had a problem with any of the warranty or routine maintenance he has done for me. Will never have any more dealings with the selling dealer.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:36 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
seems to my I know what is going on. well, some of us used to drive trucks with manual t-case and sometime 4WD jumps out (like old tranny may jump out of gear), but yoy have BW electronically controlled t-case with shift motor. There are t-case pos. sensors inside t-case and when AWD control module gets info that 4wd is disangage it engages it againe.

So you are to drop t-case and see what is inside?

Old 12-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Talking Thanks Pablo, you may be onto something.

Originally Posted by Pablo-UA
seems to my I know what is going on. well, some of us used to drive trucks with manual t-case and sometime 4WD jumps out (like old tranny may jump out of gear), but yoy have BW electronically controlled t-case with shift motor. There are t-case pos. sensors inside t-case and when AWD control module gets info that 4wd is disangage it engages it againe.

So you are to drop t-case and see what is inside?
The truck is still very much under warrenty so the Ford dealer will be the one to find the problem, but I will let everyone know what it turns out to be.

Cheers, Rick.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:00 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I see the problem, your in Canada. You are dealing with foreigners. You need to bring the truck to the states to get it fixed and be treated well ha ha!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 AM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
Skip past Michigan than. The dealers here have not done well by me or my relatives most of the time. Ironic being suburbs of Detroit, but that's the truth. I'd suggest Minnesota. But they made all the Vics in Canada. As much as I hate driving the folks's yatch, it's a really tough car & reasonably well made.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:50 AM
offrdrnger
New User
It sounds as if the chain in the T-case is stretched or jumping teeth.

This shouldn't be happening on such a new vehicle, I would not take it back to the same dealer, shop around and find a dealer that wants to help you.

It's been my experience that a lot of these dealerships are more than willing to take your money, but don't want to help when something goes wrong. You can however find those very few that want to keep your business and will bend over backwards to keep you coming back.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help.........