1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Going with after market switches??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Question Going with after market switches??

If I use aftermarket switches for wipers lights etc.,will I need to modify the hole that they go in. I want to eliminate some of the holes in the dash and need to know if those indented different shaped holes are a must or will I be able to just use round holes for the newer switches. I'm thinking that I only need the ign., lights, and wipers on the dash.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
If I use aftermarket switches for wipers lights etc.,will I need to modify the hole that they go in. I want to eliminate some of the holes in the dash and need to know if those indented different shaped holes are a must or will I be able to just use round holes for the newer switches. I'm thinking that I only need the ign., lights, and wipers on the dash.
I am using a Ron Francis headlight switch in the stock hole, and a SOCAL ignition switch which also fits the stock hole..

they both have long enough threaded shafts to be used without the indented hole tho..

Sam

Old 12-26-2008, 02:01 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I filled all my dash switch holes and installed my EZ Wire switches (1/2 the price of anyone else's switches) in my lower dash extention so I don't know of the bezels will fit in the stock depressions or not, but the new switches fit into a round hole with a small square notch filed in for the tab that keeps the switch from rotating when you turn it on.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:11 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to use modern switches in the stock locations. I'll use the stock ***** on the new switches, and dummy in the unused ***** like the choke and throttle.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:11 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the risk of hijacking your thread, I've filled ALL my dash holes so I'm free to use whatever I want.

I've been looking for a very art deco style of ***** but haven't had much luck yet. I really don't want the expense of having them machined for me.....so if anyone knows of a source for nice art deco style (i.e. bee hive or other similar designs) *****, plse let me know.

Now I'll get back to filling the 120 GB Ipod I got for Xmas.....

Thanks,

Old 12-26-2008, 04:41 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ferguson777
At the risk of hijacking your thread, I've filled ALL my dash holes so I'm free to use whatever I want.

I've been looking for a very art deco style of ***** but haven't had much luck yet. I really don't want the expense of having them machined for me.....so if anyone knows of a source for nice art deco style (i.e. bee hive or other similar designs) *****, plse let me know.

Thanks,
if you use this search string "**** hotrod -shift -shifter -dipstick" on ebaymotors, in the vendor section (after the auctions), there is a list of billet aluminum *****, from "The Billet Shop".. and it looks like he can/will do custom *****.

that says to search for "****" and "hotrod" but NOT any entries that contain ("shift","shifter" or "dipstick").. you can do it in one clause too
-(shift, shifter, dispstick)

the use of the 'not' prefix ('-') really make searching on ebay a lot easier cause you can weed out stuff you DON'T want to see..

Sam

Old 12-26-2008, 07:45 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
I filled all my dash switch holes and installed my EZ Wire switches (1/2 the price of anyone else's switches) in my lower dash extention so I don't know of the bezels will fit in the stock depressions or not, but the new switches fit into a round hole with a small square notch filed in for the tab that keeps the switch from rotating when you turn it on.
Thanks Ax, I'm not sure of who's switches I'll be using yet but you have answered my question. I've been thinking of moving them to the dash extension myself or possibly moving thier location on the dash. I didn't know if I'd have retain the original cut outs.

no problem ferguson777, all input is welcome, it gives us a means of stealing and running with someone else's ideas. I have seen dice used as *****

Old 12-26-2008, 10:19 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Sam,

Thank you. Thank You.

Once for that tip on how to do an Ebay search with exclusions built into it

Once for connecting me with that particular vendor.

While nothing he has on Ebay right now matches what I am after, it is apparent that he can do what I want for a not totally outrageous price.

Problem solved.

Thanks again,

Old 12-27-2008, 03:38 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I was also pleased that the EZ W switches (GM OEM type) have simple disk ***** with icons on them that do not protrude from the face of the panel much more than the thickness of the ****. Since the portion of the extension I am mounting them to angles back ~ 45*, I am looking at them in profile and didn't want to see a lot of shaft and ****.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 AM
merten
Laughing Gas

Thanks,
Saw these on the ididit site, Vintageair has some new deco ***** too.

ididit inc - Dress Up Kit (***** & Levers)