N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

The Next Big Step

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile The Next Big Step

A few weeks ago I was talking to my neighbor who is a mechanic and took out and put in my engine last year. He has a '70 something chevy in front of his house that he restored that has a great paint job. I chatted with him and he recommended a friend of his (Glenn)that did the paint.

A few days later, Mike introduced me to Glenn (two weeks ago) and we decided on a rough price and time estimate. I planned on spending the last few days of my Christmas break to take off all the stuff Dan and I put on my truck in August and get it ready to paint. Last Friday, Glenn called up and mentioned a customer of his couldn't get his car ready in time to paint and wondered if I could strip my truck and get it to him by today (Monday). He offered me a discount if I could do it so he could keep his employees busy during the Christmas time.

Needless to say, I spent Friday night taking out anything that did not need me to use the noisy air compressor and impact wrench. So off went the trim and lots of interior stuff.

On Saturday, it was time to get noisy. I started on the rear bumper which had not been touched since it was put on in 1970. Those four bolts were rusted tight. I got a big wrench on the backside and blocked it against the frame and used the impact wrench to break off the four bolts. That rear bumper is a heavy SOB.

I had better luck on the front bumper. I got three of the four bolts off fast and easy. The four bolts had the nuts welded to the frame and I broke one of the nuts off and ended up having to use my grinder and cut-off wheel to get that bolt off. That bumper is not as heavy.

There where six bolts I could not get since I couldn't get my impact wrench to them and they were rusted tight. They were the six bolts holding the bed. Glenn said he will cut them and get replacement carriage bolts for them.

After that, I removed the heater, heater controls, instrument cluster, dash pad, seat belts, half of the seat bolts, and tons of other stuff. I tried to separate them, label them, and put them in ziplock bags, but i am sure I lost parts.

After about 15 hours of work, I got it ready. The truck is still drivable, but I had it towed this morning to Glenn's shop since I do not have a grille or any lights.

I am going on a trip to see family in Montana starting tomorrow and will return on Jan. 2nd (My father-in-law is house sitting the dogs). Glenn is hoping to have it done by then, but I will not hold my breath if it isn't done.

So, who wants to come over to my place in January and help me put all this s*#t back on my truck?

Here are some photos of the old girl stripped and without a face.
[IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

PS- After taking these photos, I removed the "FORD" tail gate trim piece. Lots of little rivets.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Betcha it'll look real nice when it's all done.

Same color as the original?

Old 12-23-2008, 09:11 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Wow, I didn't know you were so close to getting it all done.

Give me a holler when you get it home, I'm sure I coould find a day to lend a hand.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
And I should have most of my weekends free by then as well, so I could lend a hand.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:02 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Well that settles it, if Dan's coming, I can't make it that day

Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sierraben

Same color as the original?
I am going with the same aqua reef color. It should look pretty good.

As for the help, I will let you all know when it is ready. All help is appreciated.

Mike, here are the swap meet dates for Turlock
Turlock Swap Meet - Antique Cars: Model A Club

Old 12-23-2008, 11:48 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
We should post up for a Turlock Swapmeet day, this will be the big one.

In fact I'll do that right now

Old 12-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Bart8109
Senior User
I'll come over and open the beers. I was a bartender in college.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice, We'll wait and see if you still like Glenn after the job's done. :-) Most people are not satisfied with the job their painter did. If Glenn does a good job, he may be seeing some business from the Sacramento area too. Good luck, Jag

Old 12-24-2008, 02:49 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
well Fastmover i know just where you are if you recall i was there back in july here is the best tip i can give you go buy 2 or 3 rolls of the blue wide low tack tape and use it well thats what i did the stuff is a life saver trust me save paint and those dang rear bumpers do have some weight to them huh? tough i was going to need surgery after i was done messing with mine to have my junk put back in it's place lol as for the bumper floor jack ack and lots of blue tape trust me here if i'm in town i'll get your address and come help.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Nice, We'll wait and see if you still like Glenn after the job's done. :-) Most people are not satisfied with the job their painter did. If Glenn does a good job, he may be seeing some business from the Sacramento area too. Good luck, Jag
The key thing is that my goal for my truck is to have a 30/30 truck. At 30ft away or at 30mph, it looks good. For the price I am getting it done, I am not expecting anything great, just good for me. The other things is that I plan to use this as a truck and haul stuff, take it off road and go camping, and other things. I don't want to fear every scratch.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AAH, the old 30-30 truck, eh?. Well Zigfreed, you'll never get away with it! (In my best Maxwell Smart voice) I could have done that for you. $200 should cover the paint, rollors and sand paper. Jag

Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Hope it turns out well, can't wait to see pics. I am still grounded as far as transportation goes, so I will have to sit here and drool over the pics when they come.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:06 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Some new pics... I stopped by the body shop to see how it is going. Here it is as of today.

Glen is going to primer and paint the front tomorrow and the bed and hood early next week. I am going to hand paint the frame that is under the bed before he puts the bed back on.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-03-2009, 06:04 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
Boy oh boy do i remember that stage of the deal it never seems like they are working fast enough lol are you sure you didn't copy and paste those pics from me lol. It looks all to familar to me. Any way Karl I'm sure it will turn out good and if you are going for the 30/30 look you will be just fine. best of luck keep us posted and remember restore them don't crush em

Quick Reply: The Next Big Step