Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

New Law

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:07 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Law

Good morning all.I thought I would pass this along.My neighbor told me yesterday that on Jan 1 a new law will go into effect that will make it illegal if your license plate frame covers up the name of the state on your plate.This was originally for the snowbirds,but the politicians have included all of us year round residents as well.It will be a 140.00 and up ticket.I guess I have to take off my "Arizona Cardinals" frame.
Anyway,take it for what it's worth.
Steve.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,697 Likes on 1,136 Posts
old law just going to start enforcing it since our Governor has our state in so much debt that the state is close to filing for receivership. the ticket will be $135.00 plus court fees which should be around another hundred. they also have the law enforcement writing more tickets, I have seen people stopped for 5 mph over the speed limit.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Thanks for the correction.I'm new to the state,moved here in July.At least our Governor will be leaving come Jan 20.If you think this state is a mess,you should see the disaster I moved out of-One guess?
Steve.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Just another reason too pull you over and collect all your money !! All because nobody can seem to figure out a budget for this state- screw the residents.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 AM
XL1200LTD-Keith
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chino Valley Adds Fuel Surcharge to Speeding Violations

Prescott eNews - Online Newspaper for Prescott, Prescott Valley, Chino Valley and Communities

Speeders in Chino Valley will be making a special contribution to the Chino Valley Police Department operating budget, due to the new Fuel Surcharge fee enacted last week.

Chino Valley Town Council met last week and among several items they considered, they voted in favor of adding a $15 Fuel Surcharge for traffic offenders (Ordinance 08-890). While this type of ordinance has been enacted in several municipalities across the country, it appears that Chino Valley may be the first in the State of Arizona to adopt such a measure.

Written by Lynne LaMaster
Monday, 15 December 2008

Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,697 Likes on 1,136 Posts
Perhaps if our mayor wold quit giving her brother "Fann construction" more jobs and her company "Arizona Highway safety speciaist" frivilous jobs Chino wouldn't need to suplement the budget.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:54 PM
PilotRob
Elder User
I have an idea. Instead of adding a "screw you" ticket for covering up the word "ARIZONA" on what's obviously an Arizona plate, why not issue more speeding tickets in school zones? It's easy money ... like shooting fish in a barrel. Plus, it's something that actually will benefit the greater society by "helping" people respect the school zone.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. That makes too much sense.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 PM
1eagle
Senior User
I have been hearing about this for about a month and it sucks. If they want to pull people over for lic. plate issues. How about out of state plates where people do not want to switch to Az. plates because of the costs. And the plates from Mexico, that we know the drivers do not have ins. and possably a driver lic. Ok I am done venting.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:41 PM
XL1200LTD-Keith
Senior User
I hate photo Radar too!

"The statewide photo enforcement system was pushed into law earlier this year by Gov. Janet Napolitano. She acknowledged it was designed in a way to generate maximum revenue by convincing people not to fight the $165 tickets: Offenders accumulate no points against their license. And the citations are not reported to insurance companies who can use that information to raise premiums or deny coverage."

We may get a chance to vote on this in 2010

Initiative seeks to outlaw photo radar in state - East Valley Tribune- msnbc.com

Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 AM
wabiker
Posting Guru
Get this...
News 5 reported that so far the only people making any money from the cameras ...is the company that sold/leased the cameras to the State. Apparently any revenues generated from the tickets is going to pay the Camera Bill.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:56 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by XL1200LTD-Keith
"The statewide photo enforcement system was pushed into law earlier this year by Gov. Janet Napolitano. She acknowledged it was designed in a way to generate maximum revenue by convincing people not to fight the $165 tickets: Offenders accumulate no points against their license. And the citations are not reported to insurance companies who can use that information to raise premiums or deny coverage."

We may get a chance to vote on this in 2010

Initiative seeks to outlaw photo radar in state - East Valley Tribune- msnbc.com
The PCSO uses a photo van out here on Hunt Hwy.He usually sets up near my house where I can see him from the backyard.One sunday about 5 am I was outside having coffee and I watched him flash just about every car that passed him,some were obviously speeding and others were questionable.They must be generating a boat load of cash from this.The Sheriff-elect "Babeu" campaigned that he would eliminate photo radar if elected.We will see

Old 12-17-2008, 12:13 PM
PilotRob
Elder User
That photo radar sucks. How exactly does it work on a freeway that's 6 lanes wide? If the state needs revenue, and it does, get it another way.

In the meantime, I need to learn how to program these permanent cameras into my wife's Garmin.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:06 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by 1eagle
I have been hearing about this for about a month and it sucks. If they want to pull people over for lic. plate issues. How about out of state plates where people do not want to switch to Az. plates because of the costs. And the plates from Mexico, that we know the drivers do not have ins. and possably a driver lic. Ok I am done venting.
This has been fought in court in California. A State can't make you be a resident of the State even if you work in that State. By making you change your State of residents they force you to vote in the new State etc. People move around so much & companies send employees to different States etc. As long as your license plate, drivers license, & insurance are valid & up to date & ALL in the same State, there isn't much they can do to private citizens. With the lobby of the RV business it would be hard to uphold. Not to mention it has been fought & won in another State.
Craig

Old 12-18-2008, 07:33 PM
1eagle
Senior User
Originally Posted by kermmydog
This has been fought in court in California. A State can't make you be a resident of the State even if you work in that State. By making you change your State of residents they force you to vote in the new State etc. People move around so much & companies send employees to different States etc. As long as your license plate, drivers license, & insurance are valid & up to date & ALL in the same State, there isn't much they can do to private citizens. With the lobby of the RV business it would be hard to uphold. Not to mention it has been fought & won in another State.
Craig
I know, but it still sucks. I know of some people that plan on being here for a long time and do not plan on changing there plates because of what it would cost them to register there vehicles. What about all of the Mexico plates you see all over the place?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
F350SuperCab4x4
Senior User
the new law about covering up the name of the state on your plate is already in effect. it was on the news and radio 2 weeks ago.

Quick Reply: New Law