1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hydraulic Tilt Front End 53-56

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:14 AM
john/hlptruck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tilt front end

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
That's a good line of thought John!

The reason I asked is because I chose to go electric with a single lift in the center. The electric lifts have limits built in, so all you have to do is a little math to position it in the correct place. I got lucky in that, my 12 inch electric lift opens and closes the one piece all original sheet metal front to exactly the right place. And with it centered, I don't have to worry about torquing or shifting from side to side. I DO have to worry about dead battery because mine is under the hood, not in the floor board like yours. If my battery goes dead, I have a manual release for the actuator end so I can open it manually (51 F1)

Mine was a pain to figure out and I didn't have many guidelines.
So, I'm always evaluating my decisions and comparing them with others.

Thanks for sharing,

Julie
Julie, always glad to help. John

Old 12-25-2008, 10:24 AM
john/hlptruck
Freshman User
tilt front end

Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Nice Job! That'll save the fenders from scratches when you're wrenchin' on the engine. Jag
Don't know if you noticed but I can disconnect the pistons and open the front end even more and the cable holds it 90 degrees to the ground so there is plenty of room to work, also if you look the wires for lights are quick disconnect so the entire front end can be removed in about 15 min. John

Old 12-25-2008, 10:46 AM
oldmanrvr5
Mountain Pass
Received 43 Likes on 11 Posts
John,the before and after pictures tell a great story of the work you are doing. Let me know when you get them downloaded. Thanks Tim

Old 12-25-2008, 12:43 PM
john/hlptruck
Freshman User
tilt front end

Originally Posted by oldmanrvr5
John,the before and after pictures tell a great story of the work you are doing. Let me know when you get them downloaded. Thanks Tim
Tim, I will, Merry Christmas and or Happy Holidays. John

Old 12-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi John,

I wanted to ad a comment to this if for no other reason to bump it back to the top.

I have gotten a lot of requests for my files on my efforts on building my one piece full tilt on the 51 F1. A LOT of peopel are interested in this.

I'd like to keep the thread going to compare a couple of things for reference to future inquiries.

A couple of things we may want to look at are the differences between all stock metal components Vs fiberglass one piece; dual outside hydraulic lift Vs single center electric lift; "docking" arrangements; lock down arrangements; front slide before lift; etc.

I've sent my build file out to at least 30 people so this is a hot topic.

There are a couple other guys with some great ideas as well. JUMP IN GUYS!!!!!

So, bump to top!!!!!

Julie

PS I have a 51 F1, all original sheet metal, bolted, full front tilt, with single centered 400# rated electric lift.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
power actuators

Thanks for the photos of your filt front end power actuators. I put a "manual" tilt steel front end on my 58, but I hope to someday add some type of hydraulic or electric actuators and your photos are a big help.
Tom

Old 12-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomget
Thanks for the photos of your filt front end power actuators. I put a "manual" tilt steel front end on my 58, but I hope to someday add some type of hydraulic or electric actuators and your photos are a big help.
Tom
It's very easy and inexpensive to do - less than $150 if you go with a single electric lift. And it only took me a couple hours to fab the brackets and install them.

One big advantage I found to having the lift instead of just yanking the thing up was that when I just pulled it up, it started to torque al the pieces out of whack and not fit right.

When you are ready, there are pictures in my #1 gallery or I can just send the write up and all the pics to you and you can use what you want. Just send me a PM with a real e-mail address to send it to.

Julie!

Old 12-28-2008, 04:54 PM
john/hlptruck
Freshman User
tilt front end

Originally Posted by Tomget
Tom
Tom, let me know if I can answer any question when you do, I'll help as best I can. Something you can do meanwhile is to maybe use some gas props to hold the front up, John

Old 01-06-2009, 10:15 AM
john/hlptruck
Freshman User
Just a note on the underside of the tilt front end , I used a splater trunk paint material to finish the rough fiberglass off and then sprayed that with clear cote. Thought that may be helpful to anyone using fiberglass parts. I drive my truck in the rain and have had it out in the winter on nicer days with out any problems.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:19 PM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Full Tilt...

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Hi John,

I wanted to ad a comment to this if for no other reason to bump it back to the top.

I have gotten a lot of requests for my files on my efforts on building my one piece full tilt on the 51 F1. A LOT of peopel are interested in this.

I'd like to keep the thread going to compare a couple of things for reference to future inquiries.

A couple of things we may want to look at are the differences between all stock metal components Vs fiberglass one piece; dual outside hydraulic lift Vs single center electric lift; "docking" arrangements; lock down arrangements; front slide before lift; etc.

I've sent my build file out to at least 30 people so this is a hot topic.

There are a couple other guys with some great ideas as well. JUMP IN GUYS!!!!!

So, bump to top!!!!!

Julie

PS I have a 51 F1, all original sheet metal, bolted, full front tilt, with single centered 400# rated electric lift.
Julie...do you still have those files?

Mind if I join the club?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:21 PM
fish-albuq
Senior User
i really like the hydraulic lift. i actually did the electric actuators, but i went with 2. one one each side of the frame rail pretty much in the same position as your hydraulic cylinders. electric was the only way to go for me 'cause ive never done anything hydraulic. i dont have any actual pictures of my actuators but i will get some on here soon. by the way very nice trucks.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:25 AM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Justa...

...bump...:-x0a6

Old 02-13-2009, 11:37 AM
gusso
Elder User
john/hlptruck
Wondering if you could tell me what year Cadillac the hydraulic pump is from and is it
for convertible top? By the way, great job on your truck.
Thanks
Gary

Old 02-14-2009, 07:40 AM
john/hlptruck
Freshman User
Hi Gary, I think the pump, cylinders and hydraulic lines are from a 1976 Cadillac.I cant remember what year G.M. stopped building convertibles. I bought all the parts and fittings new from a company in Florida that sells Hydraulics, I don't remember their name but they advertise in Hemmings Motor News under services. The cylinders were aluminum and can be polished to look like chrome. The brackets I made myself using a pin type brackets off a Mustang convertible to hold the cylinders. Hope this helps, John Just noticed you live in California, there is also a company there that sells the same parts that also advertise in Hemmings.

Last edited by john/hlptruck; 02-14-2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: added more information
Old 02-14-2009, 08:02 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
John that's awsome I like the interior/exterior coordination.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Tilt Front End 53-56