General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

NFL rants

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:46 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
NFL rants

This is not about how my home team (Vikings) have been treated. Just some general issues that I've had for a long time. I welcome agreement or disagreement

1. Instant replay: Delays the game and breaks up the flow. Plus, I don't think that it really improves the calls. In the Vikes/NO game, there was a challenge and the replay showed that one of my beloved Vikes had grabbed a facemask during the play. (hard to believe that ever happens in the NFL!), Anyway, it made no difference, and the Vikes got the fumble -- replay rules. Other times, the refs still get it wrong in the replay. Mistakes happen, coaches get to rate the refs, deal with it.

2. Coach player radios: Nothing better than watching a coach holding something in front of his lips to keep the other team from lip reading. There's just too much coach in the game today. Makes you think that the players are physical giants, but mental midgets. I doubt that's the case, and I still think that the old hand signals and shuttling players were more fun to watch.

3. Bye week: An excuse to lengthen the season. Just kind of a bum deal in the middle of the season. One week -- no game for your team.

4. Wild Cards: Another season lengthener. I think that at least one, and maybe more, WCs have won the superbowl -- so what. I think that the original deal was that they didn't have an even number of conferences. Now they do, so it's just fluff. (Don't get me wrong, I love watching football, but the season gets too long, and it cheapens the games. )

5. Generic defense: This is not the NFL itself, but just something that seems to have happened. It seems that the combination of rule changes, 'packages', and player selection has made the defense much less visible. (Players haven't helped either by celebrating a 2nd down stop and allowing a 3rd down TD!). Anyway, the defense seems to be a much smaller part of the game today. About the only sign from the crowd is that stupid generic D and a picket fence. Do you know your front four? How about your linebackers?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 AM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least your team isn't the Bengals (Me), or worse the Lions.

Mike

Old 12-22-2008, 12:30 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Now that the regular season is about over it's a good tome to rant.

Even though I am a life long Cowboys fan...it is time to hang up the spurs for this season. Slumming into the play-offs will probably just bring about another embarrassment.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:34 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man whats up with the afc east?? pats fans will be rooting for the pats and the jets this weekend. how about them dolphins 1-15 last year, can clinch the division title and go 11-5 this year,very strange season.

the titans and kerry collins?????

somebody please take out the g-men

the chargers and there 7-8 record doesnt surprise me

first time a team can go 0-16, following a team that went 16-0 last season

Old 12-24-2008, 09:06 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kw5413
Now that the regular season is about over it's a good tome to rant.

Even though I am a life long Cowboys fan...it is time to hang up the spurs for this season. Slumming into the play-offs will probably just bring about another embarrassment.
Come on now even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once and a while. My wife and I are die hard Cowboy fans and we have a pretty big shrine to pray to but it hasn't helped much this year but never give up there is always a chance the way the NFL works.Next year I think I will make voodoo dolls of all the other teams.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:13 PM
bajhafords
Junior User
go bears!!!
ha ha. I actually like the wild card

Not to totally change the subject, but I think the whole bcs college game is the biggest clusterfrick in the history of mankind and everybody should boycott watching bowl games on tv until we get playoffs.