Sponsored by: Moser

np435 woes??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Ryan99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
np435 woes??

Hey guys I have a 76 f150 4x4 with a 360fe and np435 tranny. Well I got stuck playing in some snow drifts tonight. I had to rock the truck a few times to get out. Usually it will pop out of reverse with a load on it, so I held the shifter back to keep it moving. When I went to go forward again it would not shift. After driving around in reverse and wrestling the shifter around it finally broke free but I still had reverse only when the shifter was held in 1st gear position. Then all of a sudden it went into neutral and I had forward gears again. I have all of the gears back but it makes some bad noises in 1st and reverse. I am wondering were to start with getting this fixed in the next few days. Could it be something simple like a bent shift fork? Also it always was hard to dwnshift 3-2.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:48 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swap it out with a good used unit. Its cheaper that way than to properly fixing it, if you hurt it. It sounds like it was hurt already.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
pull your drain plug and look for pieces/fillings see what you come up with from there,the transmission probably being in the 30+ year old range it may be a good idea to pick up a good used one and put in a fresh set of bearings and sincro's and then not have to worry about it for another 30 years.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Ryan99
New User
The only one I could find is over a hour away and he wants 250 for it. So I'd like to rebuild this one so I know what condition its in. It looks like the reverse gear fork is bent, reverse idler is worn and the second gear syncro is bad. I have a call into a salesmen at transtar checking on parts and prices. Should I just get a full bearing kit and all syncros too? I have the top cover off and pto cover. What all do I need to get this thing apart? Anyone have a step by step guide and clearances? I've rebuilt aod's and several quad and dirt bike trannys. This thing looks pretty basic.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:30 PM
northeaster79
Elder User
I would get a full kit,it may cost you a little more now,but you have to take the whole thing apart anyways and once your done it will last.it may even be cheaper to get a whole kit instead of the individual parts for one of these.get yourself a haynes or chilton manual,the should have the teardown and rebuild pics and torque specs for your trans in them.if you can't get one I'll scan a couple pages from mine and post them on here if you like.

Last edited by northeaster79; 12-22-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
A bearing kit is around $100 last time I bought one, the syncros are about $40 each (IRC) and the factory manual should have all of the clearance information you need. You can do a google search online for the kit and syncros, however I do not know about the shfit forks. Tearing it apart is pretty simple. The two things you need specialized tools for are the input shaft bearing, and the Torrington bearing. The Torrington bearing I have been told to not bother with replacing unless the trans had alot of garbage floating around in it, they seldom if ever go bad. The input shaft bearing needs to be pressed on and off.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
If you tear it down 100% make sure you take note on lower shaft shims. this way your gear pattern meshed correctly. If you do it wrong it will make a growling noise and have to take it apart several times to get it correct. Been their done this mistake. Be sure to have some grease handy to hold bearings in place when assembling. need a set of stout snapring pliers to wedge out rings. Also the magnet in bottom is needs to be cleaned. I've broken several of the cases and rebuilt many times but been a while. I now run a automatic problem solved.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Ryan99
New User
update:

I called almost a dozen rebuild shops and parts houses trying to find parts. Bronco Graveyard had the best prices on a full rebuild kit. National Drivetrain had the hard parts I needed in stock and at the best price. My old chiltons book just shows how to take the tranny out and nothing on rebuilding. So I hope the kit comes with some basic instructions. I assume I am going to need a press. So I am borrowing one again this weekend. I have all the metal to build one, but I need a cylinder. That project has been on the back burner awhile! I need to get this truck fixed. I have a bunch off trees to cut up and haul in the next few weeks. Theres nothing like being laid off for 5 weeks and having plenty to keep a man busy. Hopefully I can stock enough wood I don't have to cut for a few years.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:47 AM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
new process 435 you don't need a press just a clean area to lay everything out. I didn't have a book either. Just need some good screwdrivers and grease gun for needle bearings to stay in place and snap ring pliers. On the lower shaft be sure to take note on brass washers on the front and back, this lines up gear mesh to upper shaft. If wrong and you roll over by hand it will sound rough. hope this helps and If I remember anything else I'll drop a note. been awhile since I done one. Be sure to roll over by hand before teardown and listen for strange feel or noise once you take top off then start working the problem.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Bart8109
Senior User
Hi Ryan, I've got a rebuild manual in Adobe Acrobat. PM me and I'll get it to you.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:59 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wyoming4x4
new process 435 you don't need a press just a clean area to lay everything out. I didn't have a book either. Just need some good screwdrivers and grease gun for needle bearings to stay in place and snap ring pliers. On the lower shaft be sure to take note on brass washers on the front and back, this lines up gear mesh to upper shaft. If wrong and you roll over by hand it will sound rough. hope this helps and If I remember anything else I'll drop a note. been awhile since I done one. Be sure to roll over by hand before teardown and listen for strange feel or noise once you take top off then start working the problem.
How are you going to press on the input shaft bearing? Beat it on with a brass hammer?

Old 12-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Ryan99
New User
Well guys 2.5 hours later I finally have it out and tore down on the bench. I tried removing the crossmember. But gave up on that and figured out it just slides up and over out the back. It does look like I need a press for one bearing. the gears and shift fork will hopefully be here Monday. So I am going to pull the clutch and replace the rear main seal since its apart this far. Bart my addy is plyley99@hotmail.com I don't think I can pm or post pics without enough posts. time to head back to the garge and start cleaning parts. thanks guys

Old 12-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Bart8109
Senior User
Sorry Ryan, my email is not working until Sunday evening. I'll send that manual along then.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:39 AM
mudder460
Posting Guru
Bart, I sent him the manual. Got you covered! Keep us posted Ryan.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Ryan99
New User
I got all the parts cleaned, and all the bearings removed. I do not have a puller to pull the race from the front bearing retainer. So I welded a piece of scrap inside the race and pressed it out. My parts should be here tomorrow. But the reverse cluster gear I order is just like the factory one with a bushing in it. I am thinking about sending it back and ordering the one with needle bearings. I bet I'll see a mileage improvement after replacing all those wore out bearings. I also pulled the bellhousing and the clutch to check it out. It looks like my flywheel is a little glazed up. Hopefully I can clean it up and that will eliminate my clutch chatter when I take offf in 2nd. Well guys looks like its time to head back to the shop and work on my 12 ounce curls, while I wait for santa in the brown truck to show up!

Quick Reply: np435 woes??