Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Flex towing

Has anybody towed with the Flex? I was looking at then on Ford's site and saw that they are capable of pulling 4,500lbs when properly equipped. My folks will be looking for a new vehicle for my mom soon and the Flex would be right up her alley provided that it is good at pulling her pop up trailer.
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 02-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Senior User

rambuck is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd be careful when towing with a crossover, especially the Flex. That is similar to towing with a full-sized car (back when you could as an option). It is not the best idea in the world since they are low to the ground stock. But that depends on the weight of the pop-up. Flex towing is more for a small utility trailer. But when I think about it...it might work. I've seen a couple pics of Flexes towing a small low profile camper.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Elder User

tcesni is starting off with a positive reputation.
Without knowing the weight of your Mom's pop-up trailer, I would think that it would do a fine job of towing such a camper. Back in the 70's and 80's, my folks towed a 19' camper with full-size sedans that probably weighed less than today's Flex and we went everywhere. I don't see being a cross-over as a disadvantage as long as you stay well within the manufacturer's limits.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Former ******

Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.Bear River has a very good reputation on FTE.
Just keep the trailer balanced and minimize the tongue weight. I would not think the Flex would have any problems. But if you can, keep an eye on transmission temperature.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Posting Guru

Headviking is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Headviking is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I work at Ford in Oakville Ontario. We assemble the Ford Flex. If you order the tow package it will be fine. It will come with a trans cooler and the hitch is built in with the bumper as well as the electrical harness for your trailer.

If your commin, your done. If your strocken, you've just started.

2007 F250 6.0L PSD Lariat 4X4 - Dieselsite Coolant bypass Filtation - Bilstein Shocks - Rough Country Duel Steering Stabilizer - Fumoto Oil Drain Valve - Blue fuel pressure upgrade spring - Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade - ARP studded - Fuel Pressure, ECT, EOT, EGT Gauges - Scangauge ll - AutoEnginuity Scantool
Old 05-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Elder User

The tongue weight should equal 10-15% of the weight of the trailer you are towing. This is very important.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Senior User

B's FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ive towed with ours pulling my 2 place snowmobile trailer in a blizzard and it did just fine for being low to the ground.....id say that my set up weighs about 2k +/-
2003 Honda civic ex 1.7l
1997 ski-doo 583
2002 ski-doo 700
Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Junior User

northernsnooker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just bought my wife a used 2009 Flex. It does not have the tow package. If I were to add a hitch what would the tow capacity be? 2000 lb?

I do most of my towing with the 150, but it would be nice to be able to tow some small loads (small trailer with motorcycle) on occasion with the Flex.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Posting Guru

Headviking is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Headviking is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I wouldn't recommend without adding a trans cooler.

If your commin, your done. If your strocken, you've just started.

2007 F250 6.0L PSD Lariat 4X4 - Dieselsite Coolant bypass Filtation - Bilstein Shocks - Rough Country Duel Steering Stabilizer - Fumoto Oil Drain Valve - Blue fuel pressure upgrade spring - Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade - ARP studded - Fuel Pressure, ECT, EOT, EGT Gauges - Scangauge ll - AutoEnginuity Scantool
Old 08-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Senior User

89CrewCab is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headviking View Post
I wouldn't recommend without adding a trans cooler.
This is a great recommedation, but the factory tow package DOES not include an added trans cooler. From Ford's website:
Class III Trailer Tow Package includes a receiver hitch, wiring harness with 4/7 pin connector, engine oil cooler (non-EcoBoost™ engine), and tire mobility kit. Also included is electronic trailer sway control that uses a sensor to detect trailer sway and take corrective measures if necessary.

We are planning to buy a Flex and I typically order whatever vehicle I get with a towing package for the added cooling. However, I don't plan on towing with our Flex since I have an F250. Since the tow package does not come with a trans cooler and it sounds like a "tire mobility kit" = no spare tire, I won't order it.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Elder User

You should have no problem towing small loads with the Flex by adding a hitch. Staying under 2000 lbs. should keep you out of trouble.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers

Tags
4500, adding, camper, factory, flex, flextowing, ford, gvwr, hitch, package, problems, tongue, tow, towing, weight