1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

how to shift without clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:21 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I shift my truck all the time without a clutch. Reverse and all. You guys must be doing something wrong........

Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Boohaha
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_F250
a comment in another thread got me thinking...

when i first got my truck, a friend jumped in and drove it around and didn't use the clutch. he said it was a combination of RPM's, speed, and touch.

i can sometimes find my way out of the higher gears without the clutch, but never can i find my way in to any of the gears.

what is the secret?
There are advantages to not using the clutch also esp. while towing. If youi get the hang of it and get it smooth you can shift gears pulling hills and such with a load and not loose as much speed and momentum.

Think about it why don't the big rig drivers use a clutch and racers, it wastes energy and time.

The key is to never let your foot totally off the acc. pedal, use it to control the rpm on the motor whether you are in gear or not. When up shifting let off a little and pull the stick out of gear(it should come easily otherwise you are not maintaining the rpm right) don't completely let off the gas, push the stick to the next gear while allowing rpm's to drop controlled, when the stick gets the gear it will grap it and pull it in almost, accelerate until it is time to shift again and start at step one.

To downshift you do just the opposite of upshifting in between gears, instead of allowing the rpm to drop you rev the engine to the desired rpm for the down shift, alot of times you can apply slight pressure at the gear you are trying to get while easily reving the engine, and again when you hit it right the gear will almost grap the shifter and pull it in.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why would you want to?
I want to make sure Im getting the right gear when Im shifting down going up a icey hill pulling a trailer.
A missed shift could be your last shift....................

Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
yep, speed and rpms. i used to do it in dads 99 6 speed, do it in my ranger, and i shift up and down clutchless in my dump truck. you will get a feel for it. sometimes if u cant get it in the next gear quit pushing then hit your throttle, and as ur rpm's fall again it'll slip right in.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boohaha
There are advantages to not using the clutch also esp. while towing. If youi get the hang of it and get it smooth you can shift gears pulling hills and such with a load and not loose as much speed and momentum.

Think about it why don't the big rig drivers use a clutch and racers, it wastes energy and time.

The key is to never let your foot totally off the acc. pedal, use it to control the rpm on the motor whether you are in gear or not. When up shifting let off a little and pull the stick out of gear(it should come easily otherwise you are not maintaining the rpm right) don't completely let off the gas, push the stick to the next gear while allowing rpm's to drop controlled, when the stick gets the gear it will grap it and pull it in almost, accelerate until it is time to shift again and start at step one.

To downshift you do just the opposite of upshifting in between gears, instead of allowing the rpm to drop you rev the engine to the desired rpm for the down shift, alot of times you can apply slight pressure at the gear you are trying to get while easily reving the engine, and again when you hit it right the gear will almost grap the shifter and pull it in.

Hope that helps.
You hit the nail directly on the head with these trannys. They are not as easy as others I have done in my life but I know her pretty well after 11 years. Before you try it just watch what speed and RPM's you are at when you shift 1st to 2nd. and try only one shift at a time till you get it perfected. a little (and I mean little) pressure on the shifter to let it slip in gear helps.
When I first tried it I started on the 4-5 shifts. It seems easier on the top end. Watch the speed and RPM when in 4th, push in clutch and shift. Watch what speed and RPM's when it first goes in 5th. Then replicate it without the clutch. work your way down to 1st and 2nd.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:59 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
the rev's will have to be higher to shift easiest w/o clutch

Old 12-21-2008, 12:00 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
I wish we didn't have syncro's on the ZF's. It would definitely make shifting easier. I don't do it too often with my stroker, but everytime with the cummins.

I always thought there should be an on/off switch for the clutch. haha

Old 12-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Yea, syncro's are to help newbie shifters not shift without the clutch.
Most truck drivers hate them, cause they are used to just being able to shift when they want, and not worry about rpms.

Tim, what are you talking about not using a clutch?
Have you not tore appart an auto? There are several clutches in there.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's an awful handy skill for driving older trucks. WHen the clutch goes, there's still a way to get where you need to. My wife gets ticked off at me for doing it, but whatever. I started driving in an old '54 IHC pickup without syncros and quite honestly, it was easier to drive without the clutch on that thing. Also, when I was driving big rigs (again, old beaters), it was just easier. Once you know your machine. I even do it in my '04 Corolla sometimes.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:50 AM
thegreatwhitefarmer
Junior User
i have found that on my zf5 it shifts very easy w/0 the clutch right around 1500 rpms.. but as stated before.. its about knowing your vehicle.. i hardly use the clutch on mine anymore

Old 12-22-2008, 06:02 AM
sawz5
Freshman User
i spent 36 yrs. in a semi and used the clutch to start and stop. you just have to shift a little earlier than with a clutch. the high rpm will bind up the gears. of coarse semi trans don't have syncrnizers either, so it makes for alot easier shifting.