want to add power to 460

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:36 AM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want to add power to 460

what crank and cam would give me the most power and torque in my 460? and what is the usual measurment for boring out a 460 is it .030 or .040?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:08 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search with Retsin, Two, TWO mints in one. I know it takes the fun out of it, but this subject has been beaten to death.

Pistons are cheapest in the .030 overbore. To get serious power, you are going to have to open up your wallet. Hopping up a tired engine is a good recipe for an even tired-er engine. Cheap fixes for power include an EFI or early timing chain, headers and a good 2.25" exhaust, better carburetor, If you have a bit more money, a 3 angle valve job, some pocket porting, Weiand Stealth, or Performer RPM manifold, and a good not too big camshaft.

Somebody said this once to me, and it rings true for every situation. How much power are you wanting to build, and how munch money can you realistically spend on it? The second is the determining factor on the first.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:46 PM
460me
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This what i did:
Stock pistons
Ported heads
CraneCams
Edelbrock Performer with 600 carb
Doug Thorly headers
2.5 dual ex
straight timing set
balanced the guts
no smog stuff
About 2K in parts and machine work
runs super smooth

Old 12-20-2008, 09:51 PM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
my 460 build as follows:
scat "501" stroker kit
ballanced/blueprinted
9.5 comp
edelbrock aluminum heads
roller rockers
3/8 push rods
custom cam
air gap intake
edelbrock 750cfm carb
headers/duels
hei ignition
8qt marine oilpan/hv "blueprinted pump ect ect
cost aprox $9000 can $s
"how fast do you wanna go depends on how much you wanna spend"
"holding my ground with the big boys priceless"

Old 12-20-2008, 10:26 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
i have a couple grand saved up just for this project and have thought about some of the things said here. a good cam a crank will help along with a better carb and manifold. thanks for the tips. could always use more suggestions and advice thanks.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by YoungFordAddict66
i have a couple grand saved up just for this project and have thought about some of the things said here. a good cam a crank will help along with a better carb and manifold. thanks for the tips. could always use more suggestions and advice thanks.
Do you live in cold weather or high elevation and whats its purpose?? A couple thousand bucks means nice stock rebuild. If anything gasket match intake and have exhaust ports worked hard and buy nice rv cam. On engine block depends on what it takes to clean up on bore job. Only bore as much as needed only. Need a realistic dollar amount on engine expenses and do you have a little time. 460 can make nice power with a little head work and compression and proper cam and dual plane intake for 4wd stuff. need more info.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:15 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
i live in somewhat cold weather about one month out of the year, usually it just rains in the fall and spring a lot and is hot in the summer obviously. i have close to 2100 saved up for this engine. i plan on putting hooker headers on, a new 650cfm edelbrock carb with new manifold dont know what kind yet. like i said i dont know what crank and cam to put in to get the most power out of it. and im starting to think it would be best to hold of on boring it out, may be to costly. then along with the new crank and cam will come with new flat top pistons, rockers, and lifters.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Keep saving your pennies. A good proper engine will eat your $2100 up, and you haven't even gotten out of the shortblock.