Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Elder User

Woodsman_30350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
'48 to '50 Parking Brake Cable

Its time to reinstall my parking brake and cable and connect it to the pivot assy with the cables running to the rear brakes. It was not on the truck when I got it so I want to know the proper way to run the cable from the pivot, thru the floor to the brake handle assy.

Thanks,
Old 12-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Hi Woodsman,

I think they were the same from 48-52, if it was the wheel type parking brake and not on the yoke.

We had this post about 6 months ago and I built up some pretty good pictures.

Here they are:

Click the image to open in full size.

Also, in the other post there were lots of drawings of brakes, brake systems, and the linkages you are describing. It had the pictures I just posted above. I also copied the adjustment procedure from the shop manual. It should be all you need. If not come back to us here!!!!!

Here's that link:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/75...o-bracket.html

Good luck and have fun!

Julie
Old 12-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Elder User

Julie,

I am fast coming to the realization that I could not build my truck without you. Once again you came thru in spades.

I believe I saw you were in San Diego. If so, have you been to my favorite restaurant, Georges and the Cove?

Thanks again,

Kent
Old 12-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman_30350 View Post
Julie,

I am fast coming to the realization that I could not build my truck without you. Once again you came thru in spades.

Always glad to help out!

I believe I saw you were in San Diego. If so, have you been to my favorite restaurant, Georges and the Cove?

Thanks again,

Kent

Hi Kent!

Yes I have; and, you're right, it's fantastic. It is probably my favorite up in La Jolla, but it's been YEARS (like maybe 10) since I have been there. Wine list is always phenominal!

Rainwaters on Ketner is another OUTSTANDING place!

One thing about the San Diego Area is with all the tourism is there's no shortfall of outstanding places to eat - at any price. Humphreys for Sunday Brunch. Bully's for prime rib and I also like the 94th Aerosquadrons Sunday Brunch!

Ok I'm hungry now - DINNER TIME (Taco Bell - tee hee)

J!
Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
One thing I've never seen mentioned here about these brakes is that you can't fully take the whole equalizer assembly off once the bed is on. I wish I'd realized that! I also didn't realize until I really looked at it that the equalizer bracket pivots when the e-brakes are applied, so it should be well-greased.

I just went thru my whole e-brake system a couple weeks ago, now they work really nice. No more problems parking on hills, or trying to start the engine while on a hill!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Elder User

Hum! Looks like I need to study the ebrake operation a little more closely.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:28 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
What I didn't realize (because both my cables were totally frozen up), is that the equalizer bracket pivots on one bolt, and has a carriage head bolt that slides in a slot on the other side. (and the nut on the carriage bolt is on the topside, with a cotter pin, that's what you can't get to with the bed on)
Old 12-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Your Posting Princess!

Yep, Ross is right about that too.

You can just make out that bolt and the "half moon" slot in the photo's. But notice also, I had no wood in the bed when I took the pictures!!!!!!!!

I found that mine was aligned in pretty close to the correct position as it was, though. I'm wondering if it was originally designed not to need adjusting after original placement, or if you had to take the center bed board out to get to it....But then again, what about the trucks with the metal beds? Poses an interesting question!

Guess I got lucky in deciding to lube and adjust mine while the bed was out!!!!!

J!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:04 AM
postin' fool

J, it really doesn't need adjusting, it self-adjusts. I wanted to tighten up some of the clearances (build up with weld metal) and scrub and paint everything. I had to settle for squirting chain lube all over everything.

By the way, another "Lessons Learned" -- the clevis pins attaching the cables to the bellcrank are really, really hard to put in with the cotter pins facing down, but it is far easier to pound them up than to pull them down (with pliers) when removing them next time. I was surprised what a PITA it was to hook all the cables up (working alone).
Old 12-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Your Posting Princess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
J, it really doesn't need adjusting, it self-adjusts. I wanted to tighten up some of the clearances (build up with weld metal) and scrub and paint everything. I had to settle for squirting chain lube all over everything.
Yeeeeep, it seemed to be in just the right place when I did mine. I wasn't sure if it didn't matter that much, or if they seemed to self align. But there is a part of the cable adjustment procedure that call for checking and aligning it. Only reason I asked!

J!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Posting Guru

tip49 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
handle mount

Not to hijack; but can anyone post a clear pic of the handle assembly to dash location? How far left of column is it, the only holes I see under dash are 3-4 inches left of column.

Later

Tom
Old 12-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Your Posting Princess!

HI Tom,

I'll try and get one a little later in the day and put it on for you.

Julie
Old 12-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Your Posting Princess!

Hi Again,

Here's some pictures. It looks like the parking brake handle is about 2 to 3 inches from the drivers side kickboard and about 7 to 8 inches from the steering column. Mine is not mounted to holes on the bottom lip of the dash. See the photo's (51 F1).

If you need other views let me know.

Julie
Old 12-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Elder User

The lower holes are just below the spring bracket bolt holes and the upper two are way up under the dash. You neck will feel good when you get it bolted in.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Posting Guru

tip49 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bracket

Thanks for the pics, I hope to get to this install when we get home.

What's with the weather ? We're currently in Tucson, with rain !

OH well, better than the snow and cold.

Later

Tom
Old 12-26-2008, 10:06 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1951, 48, 50, brake, cable, f1, ford, parking, system