2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:41 PM
WVU FAN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking Advice

Hate to already have to post, but I need some advice. Long story short, I purchased a ford certified pre owned (cpo) last week. Before test driving last week, the tpms light was on. Front drivers side tire was low. Grease boys filled up tire and light went out. I was happy enough to blame lot sitting for the low tire. Salesman assured me that if I have any more trouble from the tire, to bring it in and it would be taken care of. Yesterday, driving home from work orange tpms comes on. Guess what, low drivers side front tire again. Got home and staring me right in the face was a nail in the tread, causing the slightest leak.(Wet roads, wet tires, hissing bubbles). Called dealership, they came to my workplace today and took my expy back to lot to take care of problem. Now, here's my question:
the dealership plugged the tire. Should I demand a brand new tire? Current mileage is 19450 mi, 2008 model. I don't think that I have brand new tires on now. The pirellis look good. So do I demand a brand new tire, or accept plugging as sufficient. Also, what about new tire with 3 older tires platform? I've seen conflicting reports on that as well. Please advise, I really don't know what to do. Remember, this is my first "certified pre owned" vehicle....I've always had new before. So right now I have a sick feeling to my stomach. I'm trying to find out if all ford cpo receive new tires or not. For those wondering, it was by luck that I found the nail..the tire just so happened to be sitting in optimal position to hear the leaky air bubbles.(Nail was located inside the inner most tread line of the tire-ie closer to the engine.) Thanks.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:50 PM
nebmike
Senior User
I doubt that they put new skins on CPO vehicles.

As for your current repair, if it were me I wouldnt have any worries about it. High performance (i.e., speed rated) tires are still serviceable at their rated speed with proper repairs as long as the hole is somewhere between the shoulder treads (which it sounds like yours is). And since its likely that you're not using your Expy as a race truck or police vehicle, you shouldnt have any problems with the repair.

I doubt Ford will give you a new tire (though it never hurts to ask) and I personally wouldnt want two different tires on the same axle, but thats just me.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'll second that. A properly plugged and patched tire should not perform any less. I would just be happy with the repair and go on and enjoy your truck.

However, one thing...and this is just me...but I prefer plugged/patched tires to be on the rear. Rear tires have less/different forces that act upon them.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:31 PM
hookd
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with all the rough gravel roads we have around here the tire companies would be making oil company level profits if patches didn't perform up up to par. if your that worried about it still you could have it rotated to the back axel like monsta said. enjoy the ride and welcome to FTE

Old 12-19-2008, 11:18 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you be sure whether is was simply plugged, or patched? Plugs are old school. Any decent mechanic will take the time to pull the tire and patch it. This is of course more of a pain, as you should rebalance the tire also.

That being said, if it was patched, I would not worry about it at all. If it was plugged only, I would demand them to patch it.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:35 PM
WVU FAN
New User
Berry-
The tire was definitely plugged. They did not break down the tire and patch it. Thanks everyone for posting. I hate to have so much concern over such a "little" dilemma, but that's my nature by birth: sometimes I make a mountain out of a molehill. I just want to be sure that I'm not getting screwed by "the man".

Old 12-19-2008, 01:44 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Worst case, take the tire to Discount or some tire place you sell. Have them pull the plug and patch it correctly. Shouldn't cost more than $20 max.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:57 PM
WVU FAN
New User
More aggravation.
Driving home from church today, tpms light comes on AGAIN!!!
Checked tire pressures: 36 all around except drivers front tire=28 lbs. Same tire that is low AGAIN!!!
Now what do I do? Demand 2 brand new tires for front axle with valve stems? Let dealership have another try? I'm really aggravated right now. Please advise. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:33 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Tell them last chance. They need to break the tire down and patch the first repair and correct any other problem. Must be balanced before being put back on the vehicle. Have them rotate it to the rear.