6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

does anyone have a pic of a pyro probe installed into the exhast pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:17 AM
southbound35west
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question does anyone have a pic of a pyro probe installed into the exhast pipe?

i am fixing to go get my truck from the dealership service shop for a coolant leak issue that warranty would not cover, the service manager told me i should pull my pyrometer probe out of the exhaust manifold , plug the hole and install it into the exhaust somewhere between the turbo and the cat............he says if i do not , if i ever have motor issues and i want warranty coverage ford will void the warranty over this pyro probe in the manifold, he says the probe could break off in there and be sucked into the turbo..............so i just wanted to see some pics of how and where some of yall had installed the pyro probe in the exhaust pipe, because i guess i will be doing that, at least untill warranty is up......................also i will be paying for the $100 diagnostic charge and making them show me the coolant leak and i will be fixing it my self since warranty would not cover it........please post pics of the probe installed in the exhaust or please let me know where to install it and is there a kit i need to get to make this install work?...

Old 12-18-2008, 03:52 PM
05chop
Elder User
I do not have a picture for you! Damage from the stinger going into the exhaust wheel is rare. What you do not know is when you drilled and tapped the manifold that there was a chance that pieces of metal did go into the wheel.Excessive egt can come from damaged exhaust wheel! Slows the turbo down from chipped fins.Keep an eye on your pyro.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:11 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,093 Likes on 994 Posts
There have been many pics posted on this install...do a search on EGT Probe.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:13 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
after i drilled it i stuck a small tube inside the hole with a shop vac hooked to it and i hope i got most of the shavings out that way, that was 30,000 miles ago, and yes i have been watching my egt gauge it gets to 1350 when pulling 8,000 or more up hills or down shifting , thats the only time i worry about it, but i also use a tow tune when i tow heavy that probably raises the egt's a little to, is there a kit i have to but to install the pyro probe in the exhaust pipe?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:53 PM
05chop
Elder User
Yes you can go to any truck parts dept. kenworth,peter-built dealership.What i did was purchased the 1/8 clamp style stinger.All you do is drill a 1/8 hole as close to the turbo in the downpipe. then the big hose clamp goes around the stinger and seals excellent.Easy install no need to weld a pipe bung on.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
hangon2me
Senior User
Originally Posted by southbound35west
after i drilled it i stuck a small tube inside the hole with a shop vac hooked to it and i hope i got most of the shavings out that way, that was 30,000 miles ago, and yes i have been watching my egt gauge it gets to 1350 when pulling 8,000 or more up hills or down shifting , thats the only time i worry about it, but i also use a tow tune when i tow heavy that probably raises the egt's a little to, is there a kit i have to but to install the pyro probe in the exhaust pipe?
Wow 1350 is really hot for stock tunes, I removed up-scoop, blocked the EGR and now 1100-1200 in the summer with the A/C on.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
pipewelder71
Senior User
i am fixing to go get my truck from the dealership service shop for a coolant leak issue that warranty would not cover, the service manager told me i should pull my pyrometer probe out of the exhaust manifold , plug the hole and install it into the exhaust somewhere between the turbo and the cat............he says if i do not , if i ever have motor issues and i want warranty coverage ford will void the warranty over this pyro probe in the manifold, he says the probe could break off in there and be sucked into the turbo..............so i just wanted to see some pics of how and where some of yall had installed the pyro probe in the exhaust pipe, because i guess i will be doing that, at least untill warranty is up......................also i will be paying for the $100 diagnostic charge and making them show me the coolant leak and i will be fixing it my self since warranty would not cover it........please post pics of the probe installed in the exhaust or please let me know where to install it and is there a kit i need to get to make this install work?...
It sounds like the service manager is an IDIOT. I bet if you asked him if he has ever had anyone who had that happened, he couldn't say yes. You want it in the exhaust manifold. It's more accurate then putting one post turbo. I've had my on the driver's side for over a 1 1/2 years and no problems. You will have a different reading if you install Post-turbo.

For Pre-turbo, you can run all day at 1250 degrees, Post-turbo it's something like 900 degrees. You want to know what the EGT is BEFORE entering the turbo, not after. Some techs install it this way because it's easier for them.

If this "service manager" is saying this, you seriously need to find a different dealership. I ran into the same problem earlier this year when I needed some work done. I just went to a different dealership and they said no problem.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:42 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
thanks for the info, i do not want to relocate the probe anyway, this dealer was closest to me, you r right i want to know the temp before it gets to the turbo..........i dont know what this guy is thinking..............guess i will try a different dealer if a motor problem comes up..........

Old 12-19-2008, 02:13 PM
pipewelder71
Senior User
thanks for the info, i do not want to relocate the probe anyway, this dealer was closest to me, you r right i want to know the temp before it gets to the turbo..........i dont know what this guy is thinking..............guess i will try a different dealer if a motor problem comes up..........
I would, I hate to see you go through all that work just because of some moron. If you have been towing for over 30,000 miles without problems, then everything should be ok.

As you can see in my signature, I have some moderate upgrades. I got turned down at one dealership. I just went to another dealership and got covered under warranty. If he doesn't want your business, it's his loss.

I would try to keep your EGT around 1200 if possible. If you keep your EGT above 1300 you can actually burn up your exhaust pipe behind the turbo.

Good Luck with your search.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:03 PM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I seem to recall a couple different gauges for exhaust temp,,one was pre turbo,,,and one was post turbo,,,pre turbo was around a 1200 degree,,(max),,post was about 900 degree (max)

Old 12-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Southbound, your sig line doesn't show any exhaust improvements beyond the cat/muffler delete. Have you upgraded the rest of the system, especially the down pipe? This would help reduce your EGT's as well.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:06 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
Southbound, your sig line doesn't show any exhaust improvements beyond the cat/muffler delete. Have you upgraded the rest of the system, especially the down pipe? This would help reduce your EGT's as well.
i still have the factory exhaust on for now with cat and muffler delete......i hope to soon install larger exhaust, have u had any warranty work done with your custom exhaust on your truck? did the dealer give u any problems as far as getting warranty issues covered under warranty with different exhaust on the truck?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:13 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
Question

Originally Posted by hangon2me
Wow 1350 is really hot for stock tunes, I removed up-scoop, blocked the EGR and now 1100-1200 in the summer with the A/C on.
do u still have warranty on your truck? do u have trouble when u go to the dealer for warranty work with the mods u have? i want to do the egr delete asap, but i guess i will need to wait until warranty is up (another 30,000miles)...........did u buy a kit to delete your egr ? i saw this in your signature what is it? Sneaky pipe turbo up-pipe with EGR blocker plate........is this a larger up pipe with egr delete in one? can u tell a big power difference with this modification?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:04 PM
pipewelder71
Senior User
i still have the factory exhaust on for now with cat and muffler delete......i hope to soon install larger exhaust, have u had any warranty work done with your custom exhaust on your truck? did the dealer give u any problems as far as getting warranty issues covered under warranty with different exhaust on the truck?
If you're running a Predator, as stated in your signature, they'll find out when they check for CELs. That alone can cancel your warranty. When shopping for a shop don't tell them about the tuner, but ask how they feel about it. You'll be surprised.

I have the MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust with no cat/muffler. I had one problem at a dealership about it. Then I went to another one and they were cool about it. Some dealerships are good about mods, some are not.

The dealership installed my head studs. Also while the cab was off, they let me modified my EGR up pipe and cooler. Then they finished the repair. They were great.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
i did not say anything about the tuner when i took it in and they did not say anything to me about it, so i guess they did not find it, but i did unhook the batteries for a while before i took it in hoping that it would clear all signs of the tuner, i dont know if it did or not..............but the service supervisor said he did not care if you run tuners on these powerstrokes that r under warranty as long as u dont bring it in witha tune on the truck, he said they wont touch it for warranty work until u come take the tuner program out and put the ford tune back in.........he told me they had a truck just like mine up there right now for warranty work witha tuner on the truck right now, he said there waiting on the guy to come and put the factory progeam back in it until they will work on it under warranty......he said if they find something modified on the diesels that r un der warranty they will call u and at least give u the option to put it back to factory specs and still cover it under warranty, so i like that........so maybe this is a mod friendly dealer.....

Quick Reply: does anyone have a pic of a pyro probe installed into the exhast pipe?