6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I'm confused...Do you know???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:50 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm confused...Do you know???

Let me start by saying I have been doing searches and reading for the past two nights and haven't found my answer yet.

My question is about Mobil syn. oil....(I know there is ALOT of talk about oil on here and which is better...Bare with me.)

What is the difference between Mobil 1 Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40syn. AND Mobil 1 "Turbo Diesel" 5W-40 syn????

I want to switch from Rotella 15W-40 to Mobil 1 5W40 syn. But I can only find the "Turbo Diesel" Mobil 1 5W-40 syn.In the stores.I also found another Mobil 1 called something "1300"?????I haven't read anything about it on here.

It was my understanding from the searches I did that the Mobil 1 Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 syn was BETTER than the "Turbo Diesel"5W-40 syn?????

Please Educate me!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was it "Delo" 1300? If so, that's 15w/40 dino, not syn.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:24 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Was it "Delo" 1300? If so, that's 15w/40 dino, not syn.
No it was Mobil 1

Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W40 and the regular Delvac 1 are the same. This I confirmed through Exxon/Mobil. I have read that the Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5W40 is now less than 2.5% PAO (Group IV) basestock. The rest of the base stock is highly hydroprocessed Group III base stock which now can be called a synthetic).

Also read that the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP is very much like the old formulation of Mobil 1 (ie higher in Group IV PAO basestock). However, it is next to impossible to get the straight scoop since the information is highly proprietary. All you can get off of the Internet is bits and pieces of conjecture and opinion. I believe the above to be true, but have no way of proving it.

One thing to try to find is the oil's MSDS sheets (I have the Mobil Delvac 1 MSDS's and the needed info is missing) and see if they specify CAS numbers and percentages. If they don't, you can not really know what is in the oil.

The CAS #'s for the more typical all-hydroprocessed (Hydrocracked hydroisomerized ) Group 3 base oils Are:
Hydrocracked hydroisomerized Group III as of Oct 2004
178603-64-0,
178603-65-1,
178603-66-2

The CAS number for PAO is 68037-01-4.

Here is a pretty good article:

http://www.kitcarmag.com/techarticle...ech/index.html

Old 12-17-2008, 08:13 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bismic
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W40 and the regular Delvac 1 are the same. This I confirmed through Exxon/Mobil. I have read that the Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5W40 is now less than 2.5% PAO (Group IV) basestock. The rest of the base stock is highly hydroprocessed Group III base stock which now can be called a synthetic).

Also read that the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP is very much like the old formulation of Mobil 1 (ie higher in Group IV PAO basestock). However, it is next to impossible to get the straight scoop since the information is highly proprietary. All you can get off of the Internet is bits and pieces of conjecture and opinion. I believe the above to be true, but have no way of proving it.

One thing to try to find is the oil's MSDS sheets (I have the Mobil Delvac 1 MSDS's and the needed info is missing) and see if they specify CAS numbers and percentages. If they don't, you can not really know what is in the oil.

The CAS #'s for the more typical all-hydroprocessed (Hydrocracked hydroisomerized ) Group 3 base oils Are:
Hydrocracked hydroisomerized Group III as of Oct 2004
178603-64-0,
178603-65-1,
178603-66-2

The CAS number for PAO is 68037-01-4.

Here is a pretty good article:

Synthetic & Mineral Based Oil - Tech, Explanation - Kit Car
Hey Bismic...Forgive me for my ignorance,I'm still learning about oil's.

So between the "Turbo Diesel" AND Delvac 1 ESP is one of them better to use than the other?

BTW thank you for the article...I sent some rep point's your way.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,720 Posts
nico -

Both the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel and the Delvac 1 ESP are very good from all the posts I read and from the UOA's I have looked up on other sites. The question really is - is it worth it to spend the money on that oil. This becomes largely personal preference. I got GREAT UOA on the Motorcraft 15W40, so I believe it is a very good oil - and it was reasonably priced. I switched from the Motorcraft oil to a Synthetic to get some benefits in low temp starting, high temp stability, and shear resistance, stiction prevention, etc. Many of the benefits are long term, so its hard to say what it is worth. I keep vehicles a very long time and so I am conservative (for the most part). That being said, I just switched to Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 because I finally got enough data on the Schaeffer 9000 oil to believe it is causing my higher lead numbers (7 ppm) in the UOA (even though TBN, viscosity, other wear metals are all very good). The Valvoline comes very highly recommended, but it is expensive.

If I get tired of the high price for Valvoline, I will probably switch to the Delvac 1 ESP oil. But one thing I have discovered is that there will always be staunch defenders of certain oils and staunch opponents of the same oil.

Beachbumcook has had GREAT success with Rotella 5W40. It is probably the best value of the synthetics. Early on, the Rotella turned me off, so I probably will not go with it unless the Valvoline and the Mobil 1 give me bad results (which I doubt that would happen). HOWEVER - this is personal choice - I do not have any data to present on the Rotella.

Probably the best decision to make is on your OCI (change interval). If you want longevity - be conservative. Ford recommends 7500 miles 200 hours or 3 months (unless exposed to severe service) - IIRC. Just remember - the base oil lasts far longer than the additives (and the add packs are a big factor in a good diesel oil).

Once you pick an oil, get several UOA, and see if your truck likes the oil.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:06 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bismic
nico -

Both the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel and the Delvac 1 ESP are very good from all the posts I read and from the UOA's I have looked up on other sites. The question really is - is it worth it to spend the money on that oil. This becomes largely personal preference. I got GREAT UOA on the Motorcraft 15W40, so I believe it is a very good oil - and it was reasonably priced. I switched from the Motorcraft oil to a Synthetic to get some benefits in low temp starting, high temp stability, and shear resistance, stiction prevention, etc. Many of the benefits are long term, so its hard to say what it is worth. I keep vehicles a very long time and so I am conservative (for the most part). That being said, I just switched to Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 because I finally got enough data on the Schaeffer 9000 oil to believe it is causing my higher lead numbers (7 ppm) in the UOA (even though TBN, viscosity, other wear metals are all very good). The Valvoline comes very highly recommended, but it is expensive.

If I get tired of the high price for Valvoline, I will probably switch to the Delvac 1 ESP oil. But one thing I have discovered is that there will always be staunch defenders of certain oils and staunch opponents of the same oil.

Beachbumcook has had GREAT success with Rotella 5W40. It is probably the best value of the synthetics. Early on, the Rotella turned me off, so I probably will not go with it unless the Valvoline and the Mobil 1 give me bad results (which I doubt that would happen). HOWEVER - this is personal choice - I do not have any data to present on the Rotella.

Probably the best decision to make is on your OCI (change interval). If you want longevity - be conservative. Ford recommends 7500 miles 200 hours or 3 months (unless exposed to severe service) - IIRC. Just remember - the base oil lasts far longer than the additives (and the add packs are a big factor in a good diesel oil).

Once you pick an oil, get several UOA, and see if your truck likes the oil.
As usual thanks for the help!!!