Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

question for those of you with big lifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:57 PM
PilotRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question for those of you with big lifts

OK, I'm asking this here to a smaller audience to avoid getting 100s of hate-emails.

I was driving in front of a Chevy crew cab last night on the freeway. He probably had 8" or so of lift on his truck. But ... he did NOTHING to adjust his headlights, so even sitting in my Bronco, I felt like the guy was high-beaming me.

Doesn't the state (or even common sense) require you to adjust your lights, even if it means physically lowering them? It's quite distracting when you're trying to drive on a rainy freeway at night and you think there's two trains behind you.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,652 Likes on 1,126 Posts
I think AZ law says 42 inches to the center of the head lights but I can't find any laws pertaining to aiming.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:07 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Technically........those of us who have lifted trucks are breaking the law everyday we drive on the road. Headlights, turn signals, stoplights, mudflaps all have certain height restrictions........OH WELL! haha.

you'll be happy to know I actually adjusted my headlights down once I lifted it even higher

Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 PM
liftedgrocerygetter
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have mine turned down a little so I don't blind anyone. I am also that driver that if we are stopped at a light and I can see that I am blinding the little car in front of me, I turn my lights off until we start moving again. You just have to remember to turn them back on or you get pulled over with full lights and sirens cuz the cop thinks your are drunk, don't ask me how I know this......... LOL. We had made it though the intersection and a cop saw me with no lights, as soon as I saw him I flipped them on but he still pulled me over. Not a big deal, he was nice once he saw I wasn't drunk he was pretty nice to me.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:17 PM
PilotRob
Elder User
Glad I'm not the only one who turns the lights off. It's interesting to watch people's reactions, though. They think you're coming to get them.

So let's say you wanted to be 120% legal or whatever. Are you supposed to move your headlights into your bumper or something to get them low enough to the ground?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:02 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CRJFlyer
Are you supposed to move your headlights into your bumper or something to get them low enough to the ground?
I have only seen this on EXTREME lifted trucks. You won't have any issues with a standard lift (within reason) other then maybe lack of mudflaps. I get pulled over every couple of months for that one

Old 12-29-2008, 01:28 AM
bigunred
Elder User
Not sure of the statute # but you cant modify the suspension at all i saw it in there some where. not up not down, If they wanted they could cause youa big head ache.Its obviously not enforced though.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:01 AM
liftedgrocerygetter
Post Fiend
Thankfully it isn't enforced, they would have a hay day with both of my vehicles.....

Old 12-29-2008, 04:23 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With States looking for revenue that might be the next thing they go after along with the license plate frames.
Craig

Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 AM
XL1200LTD-Keith
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.....and mud flaps that are more than 8" from the ground on the lifted trucks.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 PM
liftedgrocerygetter
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kermmydog
With States looking for revenue that might be the next thing they go after along with the license plate frames.
Craig
Heard a group of lawerys are going to fight it, I hope win. If the cop has been in Az for more than a month he will know just by looking at the plate if it is an Az one or not.

Originally Posted by XL1200LTD-Keith
.....and mud flaps that are more than 8" from the ground on the lifted trucks.
I got pulled over 3x for that so I finally put some stupid little flaps on just to make them happy.