Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Senior User

Midnightride42 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transfer Case Shift Relay Module location

Transfer Case Shift Relay Module
Does anyone know where it is located in a 97 F150 XLT Automatic with the ESOF?
I called the dealer and its a $75 part, but they wouldn't tell me where it's located.
If it goes bad, would it be possible to still select 4L just no 4H?
Thanks,
Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
I am going by memory, but I believe it's in the relay box mounted up high behind the glove box.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
I am going by memory, but I believe it's in the relay box mounted up high behind the glove box.
isn't that the RPO block?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:57 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
I don't have my diagrams with me, so I seem to remember going over some of the locations before with someone else. I found this old post, and it was you I was talking to. Those locations are from a 99 diagram, which is the closest I have to your truck. Here's the thread.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/79...ay-for-4h.html

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 12-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Senior User

Quote:
I don't have my diagrams with me, so I seem to remember going over some of the locations before with someone else. I found this old post, and it was you I was talking to. Those locations are from a 99 diagram, which is the closest I have to your truck. Here's the thread.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/79...ay-for-4h.html
Yea....I talked to somone at a dealer last night....they said the same thing. That module/ relay is behind radio area in the dash. I pulled the radio last night, nothing there. I must have to remove the upper dash area to get to it. I dont think removing the oval will be enouph.

I've tried searching for a picture of the relay so I know what to look at, but no luck. The other thing I was wondering is does the module need replaced or does it actually have to relays like in your post witch hopefully can be replaced? Hopefully I'll be able to locate the item tonight. Dealer said the books say 1.5 hours of labor so it shouldn't be to hard to locate.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:23 AM

Here's a picture from the manual of the dash.

Click the image to open in full size.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Here's a picture from the manual of the dash.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks a lot for posting that image.....this will give me a good starting point.
For the time being I just threw some sand bags in the back over the rear wheels (480p)....that will atleast help till this 4x4 is working again.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Senior User

so I found the relay module....you have to remove or pry up on the front dash area.

When I select 4L I can feel the module clicking, when I select 4H though nothing.

Is there a way to test the module/relay or would that indicate it's bad. I guess I'm not sure if the signal goes from the module/relay to the RPO box or if the singnal goes from the RPO box to the module/relay. Also finding that part sucks. I tried searching on google and got nothing.

This is the number written on it.
F75B-14B194-BB

When I select 4L i can feel it clicking inside the module relay, but when selecting 4H nothing, just the relay in the RPO box clicks clicks clicks.

Thoughts?

Any way I can check if the relay module is working correctly? Bench testing it or something? There are a lot of pins on that module realy.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 PM

Is the relay module bad or is the GEM module not telling the relay module to work. That's the question probably only a Ford tech with the diagnostic scanner can figure out without too much work.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Senior User

Yea....it's getting to that point where I'm being forced to take it in.

Man that sucks.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 AM