2001 7.3L F350, Service Engine Soon, truck shakes - Page 19 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

2001 7.3L F350, Service Engine Soon, truck shakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Junior User

NorthernWild is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry VROD, I haven't taken off the valve covers at this point, so I'm not sure what that measurement is, though I'm curious what you'd want it for.

I'm starting to doubt my problem is the UVCH, so I'm starting a new thread here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...l#post14585477. If I find out it was the UVCH after all, I'll post back here.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by VROD View Post
Hello can someone take a measurement from the end of the plug that loosens up to the valve cover gasket thanks
Uh? I have an old UVCH in my "box of shame". Do you need a measurement from that?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Junior User

VROD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Uh? I have an old UVCH in my "box of shame". Do you need a measurement from that?
yes from the edge of the valve cover to where it unplugs if you can thanks
Old 08-16-2014, 03:13 AM
Junior User

NorthernWild is starting off with a positive reputation.
My intermittent, but worse when hot problem turned out to be cylinder 6 injector wire shorting to valve cover where wires exit 42-pin connector and tend to rub against valve cover. IDM code was P0276. Details in this thread: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...l#post14586703.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 PM
New User

jackoney is starting off with a positive reputation.
no resistance on injector

Hi! great thread! My engine started running rough, I check ohms like was suggested, I had no resistance on #3 on drivers side, so took apart, but my problem was the clip that holds the lead on the injector it self came lose, don't know how that happened, but it did. Put it back together and now purrs like a kitten! hope this helps someone else! Thanks guys!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Freshman User

Rdy2offrd88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So I just pulled my drivers side valve cover tonight and my connection was loose so I did the 50 cent mod and put everything back together and cranked it up and everything was good except now my HPOP press gauge isn't reading anything at all?? Also it sounds like my afe intake now has more of a rumble to it alsmost like I can hear inside the motor from my air filter. I don't remember it sounding like this before. Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2014, 06:58 AM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Maybe you missed the CCV hose... it's been known to happen (unless I'm the only one)
Old 10-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
How does your HPOP guage get it's reading?
Old 11-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Junior User

TerranE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Welcome to FTE Darren. Most of the generic (read inexpensive) code readers will not work on our engines. I'd be willing to guess if you could read the code that is in there it would be a P1316 code. The common cause for what you're describing is a loose plug on the UVCH (under valve cover harness)

Here's what the problem looks like

Now the trick is to figure out which valve cover you need to remove to plug this thing back in. Since you don't have a good scanner that can run things like a buzz test, the next best option is to grab a multi-meter and set it to read ohms. Located on the inboard side of each valve cover you will see some wires leading to a plug connector. This is a flat 9 pin connector that you will need to unplug to expose the pins inside.

The 9-pin plug is wired as follows:

G G I I C I I G G

G=Glow Plug +
I = Injector +
C= Injector Common

The injectors fire with a 115VDC signal from the IDM. Do Not pierce the wires to test.

Test between "I" and "C" to test the injectors, should be less than 5.0 Ohms.

To check glow plugs Test between "G" and battery ground. Should be between 0.6 and 2.0 Ohms

If you find readings outside these numbers, pull that valve cover and check for the loose connector.

We also have a 7.3 diesel specific section located a little further down the main forum listing page. We'll see if we can't get your thread moved down there so you get more input on this from other folks that have the same motor.
Testing the injectors "I" and "C", I had a reading of around 7.2 on a couple of contacts. After tightening the inside connector, the reading was still 5.2 on one connector. Still not under 5 ohms. The other connectors had correct readings. Should I spend the quarter and put it back together or should I investigate it further?

I apologize if this is already covered. I thank you all in advance and I thank all who contributed to this thread already. It has been a big help. Terran
Old 11-02-2016, 07:59 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerranE View Post
Testing the injectors "I" and "C", I had a reading of around 7.2 on a couple of contacts. After tightening the inside connector, the reading was still 5.2 on one connector. Still not under 5 ohms. The other connectors had correct readings. Should I spend the quarter and put it back together or should I investigate it further?

I apologize if this is already covered. I thank you all in advance and I thank all who contributed to this thread already. It has been a big help. Terran
Without knowing the symptoms that got you to this point, we can't give you an answer. My first suggestion would be to start the truck up (valve covers off is ok) and see how that affects whatever issue you might be having.

Starting a new thread with all your specific symptoms and steps taken thus far would be even better.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Junior User

TerranE is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same truck as the OP with pretty much the same symptoms. Service light, low power, stalls.

I think that you've pretty much provided most of the answers I needed already.

I've tested the ohms at the under valve cover connections and have found them out of range.
I've already sprung for new Ford gaskets, wire harnesses, Motorcraft glow plugs, along with o rings to do the crankcase vent mod.
I think I have my bases covered, thanks to you. If I have any troubles, I'll start a new thread. Thank you.