Water pump removal 460 CID

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:18 AM
tbear
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water pump removal 460 CID

This is a copy of the text of a thread I started in "cooling." I used the "search" function and could not find any info on actual removal.

Well, I'm about to pull my hair out. Now I know why a local shop wants over $200 for labor to do this. Just about everything on the front of the motor is attached to the damn water pump. Nice design, Ford!

I have the fan shroud, fan, and alternator out. I'm stuck at the alternator bracket, where the alternator pivot bolt is located. I have what I believe to be all the bolts out, but it only pivots on something. My Haynes book is useless here, as it illustrates the alternator below the "thermactor" (not referenced in the Haynes index, just that illustration) and my alternator is above it. I have no idea what it's hanging up on. It feels like its not a bolt (it twists a little......maybe some rubber post?)

The Haynes book is showing my engine with 3 V belts, not the 2 serpentine belts that I have. I'm not sure if that's due to the fact some '89's are carbed and some are EFI, as mine is.

I got lucky in that all the crap on the a/c compressor side of the engine, which normally has to be loosened so that it's bracket can be removed (only one bolt at the water pump ) my bracket is cracked there and no need to demo that side.

Any help here would be appreciated. I was hoping this would last til the end of the year, and I am making the effort. I would like to at least get it running. If not, boneyard/part out time.

Thanks for any help. Ted

Old 12-14-2008, 02:51 PM
lorenr
Cross-Country
Thumbs up R & R Waterpump

Just did this job and I remember that if it is your first time to take your time.

Remove the shroud. Drain the radiator.
Remove the fan and mount that attaches to the water pump.
Remove belt tensioner and belts.
Remove the bolts attaching the alternator and alternator itself after unplugging the alternator. You disconnected the ground cable on the battery didn't you?
Loosen the A/C and remove all the bolts holding the A/C mount. You need to remove the mounting plate enough to get at the water pump. If this plate is broken get another one, or weld the crack. It is heavy duty for a reason.
Remove the water pump. Keep track of the attaching screws.
Install new or rebuilt pump using the supplied gaskets and sealer as required. Take your time here or you'll do it again. Tighten screws as required.

Reverse the process and you should have it.

I'm typing this from memory, so use the shop manual. I do seem to remember three fasteners for the alternator. One was down low near the oil pan. One of the screws was an odd size, so keep track of it. I also remember the key was moving the A/C mounting plate out of the way to reinstall the new pump.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 PM
tbear
New User
Thanks for the reply.

I had some weekend gearheads come over and take a look at it. I didn't want ot break anything out of frustration. There was one bolt on the alternator bracket that was hidden....actually recessed a few inches and only could be felt, not seen. The boys got is off, and got it reassembled. It took them about 3 hours total. (I had most of it off on the alternator side)

They decided to buy it and fix it up. (it's getting ready to need a few things)

I bought a little 4 banger sedan for the Winter. I'll get another small tow vehicle in the Spring. I don't need that kind of towing/hauling capacity anymore, and could use the better gas mileage.

Thanks, Ted