1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress made! - CAB is off w/PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Huntfamily53
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Progress made! - CAB is off w/PICS!

Weather is perfect, decided to get some work done on the 53. I have been
sanding the cab lately and I am making some good progress.

Decided today that I wanted more access to the frame to start doing some meaningful work there...
so the cab just had to come off.

My boys love it when I break out a power tool or, in this case, a big
hoist...here are 2 of the boys trying to figure out where ol' dad is going with
this idea!

double stack of 2x4's with the engine hoist giving the leverage and power.

...and like an elevator she lifts right up... and just like that, the job is done!

I put the cab on that flat bed cart that is rated at 1000lbs from HF. I put some
plywood boards on top of the cart to help spread the load across the whole
floor. The whole unit rolls in and out of the garage with ease! It is now lower
so I can reach all top of the cab without something to stand on.
That should make the body work easier.

I think I will keep sanding on the cab and get it in primer/sealer soon. I will
also start cleaning up the frame for paint, etc. I would like to save up and
either do a drop axle or at least some down and forward springs (or both?). I
also plan on disk brakes for sure to go with the undercab booster.

I have the undercab bracket in place and just need to add the 8" mustang II brake booster on my shelf and go from there.

I need to finish the 9" rear end install as it is just in there temporary and figure out the shocks, etc...

I need to get some replacements for the 2 rear crossmembers as they are
pretty hammered...btw, anybody have extras laying around they can sell/part with?

Heck, I am just glad to see some progress...sounds kind of crazy... to think
that Progress is taking it MORE apart?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:55 AM
1949f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 373 Likes on 160 Posts
looking good. i am selling stuff i don't need so i can buy cab corners and a floor pan for my 49 f1. my cab has been media blasted and sitting on a cart in the garage most of the summer. i am glad some body is getting stuff done. keep up with the progress pictures. may get me going on mine again.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Malek
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything looks great! My merc M68 is sitting the same way right now in my garage, I just need to wait for the -30 weather to go away!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 AM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lookin GOOD. Yeah, it's kinda counter-intuitive that taking it further apart is progress, but I know exactly what you mean. I "think" I have reached bottom, and everything that is coming apart is apart... will color paint in the spring and then it's all uphill from there....

Keep up the good work.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Malek
Everything looks great! My merc M68 is sitting the same way right now in my garage, I just need to wait for the -30 weather to go away!
WELCOME !

Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 AM
bassn1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my cab and box off yesterday too. It took 4 guys, a case of beer and 2 packs of grilled bratworst. I just might get fat if this keeps up!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I wouldn't trust that HF cart! I have the same one. First problem, the tires go flat, and none of my air chucks would re-inflate them. Replaced the valve cores with US-made ones, now they don't leak and can be inflated by any chuck. Second problem, if you turn the front wheels at all, that end becomes real tippy when moving under load. While they claim it will support 1,000 lbs, the welds appear to have been made by a blind man. But for $50...

Old 12-14-2008, 11:17 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I like your attitude,and welcome to FTE.
I have the same setup--use cherry picker to lift and set cab/doghouse/etc on a small trailer and I have 3 case 222s to pull the load in and out of the barn.
You can take your time and work with ease this way. Keep the kids away from anything tippy--I would block the cab up under the roller to keep it from falling on the boys/etc.....nice 53 project!!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Huntfamily53
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I wouldn't trust that HF cart! ...
I agree...the cart is not the best, and I plan on finding another solution for the long term. (BTW, I bought it when it was only $30) I have supports under each corner of the cab when it is in the garage so it does not tip too far either way for safety as I had the same thought...Thanks for looking out!

No problems with weather here in AZ...we got rain last night, but the weather is perfect!

Hope to do some more soon and update you all

Old 12-14-2008, 03:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Huntfamily53
...BTW, I bought it when it was only $30...
Oh sure, rub it in!!!

HF sells carpeted, castered platforms for moving, they are ideal. (wheels don't lock tho)

Old 12-14-2008, 04:21 PM
52'F-3
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
very nice post, enjoyed the read and pics.......
progress is a great thing,

Old 12-14-2008, 04:27 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the post, looks like a pretty clean cab. Where are you located? We just moved to Green Valley from Tucson. By the way, if you are planning using the factory ex manifolds check them very carefully for cracks, especially the passenger side. I have not had good luck with welding them or finding good ones, I finally gave up and am building tubular headers.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Huntfamily53
Senior User
Thanks for all the nice words and encouragement!
I am glad to be able to share some progress after several months of nothing.

Fatfenders56, I am in Mesa, AZ...and I am not sure what I am going to use with the 351c yet. I have an old set of headers sitting in the garage but I am almost sure they wont work as is. I thought of modifying them, but will likely save up for some sandersons or use the factory manifolds.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:37 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
i got some of them carpeted rolly platforms from 'em while they were on sale for 8 each here awhile back . the 55 frame im trying to part is on two of , one of the fe's and its c-6 is sitting on one , the other fe is on another , and they have had all sorts of sundry items at one time or another and worked out pretty good . as far as a dropped axle i was warned by the guys on another forum , fatman , no limit and others to stay away from heated and dropped stockers as it seems most of 'em forget to , how to put this , lengthen the axle ends , stretch ??? , as when they were dropped it brought the ends of the axle closer together , narrowing the front track and altering a bunch of stuff ............. mid fifty has a new one and i beleive classic industries did too . again i was warned about another issue that never crossed my mind .... measure the distance 'tween the axle and the ground now , then subtract three inches . with the roads around here might have been an issue . so i'm gonna pull some leaves , add poly liner between them , and to help keep the bump steer from being so bad it was suggested i use a front sway bar kit . considered cutting one of my spare pitman arms , but ...............

Old 12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
oh yeah nice truck ! i wish we could find 'em like that here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Progress made! - CAB is off w/PICS!