General Automotive Discussion

Why would Ford build anything the buyer wants?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:17 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idunno, but it seems like most of the probs posted are on lifted trucks?

Still, Ford needs to address the problem. You'd think they'd have learned from hiding their heads in the sand with the 6.0's. That the probs only get worse, the more You deny them.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You heard my side, now read the other side Wendell will love this.

You know my stance so here is someone who's right in the middle of it.

Enjoy Wendell,

Incredible editorial from one of our Dealers in the Pittsburgh Region.

Attached is a well written "Letter to the Editor" from Elkins Fordland

Editor:

As I watch the coverage of the fate of the U.S. auto industry, one alarming and frustrating fact hits me right between the eyes. The fate of our nation's economic survival is in the hands of some congressmen who are completely out of touch and act without knowledge of an industry that affects almost every person in our nation. The same lack of knowledge is shared with many journalists whom are irresponsible when influencing the opinion of millions of viewers.

Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama has doomed the industry, calling it a dinosaur. No Mr. Shelby, you are the dinosaur, with ideas stuck in the '70s, '80s and '90s. You and the uninformed journalist and senators that hold onto myths that are not relevant in today's world.

When you say that the Big Three build vehicles nobody wants to buy, you must have overlooked that GM outsold Toyota by about 1.2 million vehicles in the U.S. and Ford outsold Honda by 850,000 and Nissan by 1.2 million in the U.S. GM was the world's No. 1 automaker beating Toyota by 3,000 units.

When you claim inferior quality comes from the Big Three, did you realize that Chevy makes the Malibu and Ford makes the Fusion that were both rated over the Camry and Accord by J.D. Power independent survey on initial quality? Did you bother to read the Consumer Report that rated Ford on par with good Japanese automakers.

Did you realize Big Three's gas guzzlers include the 33 mpg Malibu that beats the Accord. And for '09 Ford introduces the Hybrid Fusion whose 39 mpg is the best midsize, beating the Camry Hybrid. Ford's Focus beats the Corolla and Chevy's Cobalt beats the Civic.

When you ask how many times are we going to bail them out you must be referring to 1980. The only Big Three bailout was Chrysler, who paid back $1 billion, plus interest. GM and Ford have never received government aid.

When you criticize the Big Three for building so many pickups, surely you've noticed the attempts Toyota and Nissan have made spending billions to try to get a piece of that pie. Perhaps it bothers you that for 31 straight years Ford's F-Series has been the best selling vehicle. Ford and GM have dominated this market and when you see the new '09 F-150 you'll agree this won't change soon.

Did you realize that both GM and Ford offer more hybrid models than Nissan or Honda. Between 2005 and 2007, Ford alone has invested more than $22 billion in research and development of technologies such as Eco Boost, flex fuel, clean diesel, hybrids, plug in hybrids and hydrogen cars.

It's 2008 and the quality of the vehicles coming out of Detroit are once again the best in the world.

Perhaps Sen. Shelby isn't really that blind. Maybe he realizes the quality shift to American. Maybe it's the fact that his state of Alabama has given so much to land factories from Honda, Hyundai and Mercedes Benz that he is more concerned about their continued growth than he is about the people of our country. Sen. Shelby's disdain for "government subsidies" is very hypocritical. In the early '90s he was the driving force behind a $253 million incentive package to Mercedes. Plus, Alabama agreed to purchase 2,500 vehicles from Mercedes. While the bridge loan the Big Three is requesting will be paid back, Alabama 's $180,000-plus per job was pure incentive. Sen. Shelby, not only are you out of touch, you are a self-serving hypocrite, who is prepared to ruin our nation because of lack of knowledge and lack of due diligence in making your opinions and decisions.

After 9/11, the Detroit Three and Harley Davidson gave $40 million-plus emergency vehicles to the recovery efforts. What was given to the 9/11 relief effort by the Asian and European Auto Manufactures? $0 Nada. Zip!

We live in a world of free trade, world economy and we have not been able to produce products as cost efficiently. While the governments of other auto producing nations subsidize their automakers, our government may be ready to force its demise. While our automakers have paid union wages, benefits and legacy debt, our Asian competitors employ cheap labor. We are at an extreme disadvantage in production cost. Although many UAW concessions begin in 2010, many lawmakers think it's not enough.

Some point the blame to corporate management. I would like to speak of Ford Motor Co. The company has streamlined by reducing our workforce by 51,000 since 2005, closing 17 plants and cutting expenses. Product and future product is excellent and the company is focused on one Ford. This is a company poised for success. Ford product quality and corporate management have improved light years since the nightmare of Jacques Nasser. Thank you Alan Mulally and the best auto company management team in the business.

The financial collapse caused by the secondary mortgage fiasco and the greed of Wall Street has led to a $700 billion bailout of the industry that created the problem. AIG spent nearly $1 million on three company excursions to lavish resorts and hunting destinations. Paulson is saying no to $250 billion foreclosure relief and the whole thing is a mess. So when the Big Three ask for 4 percent of that of the $700 billion, $25 billion to save the country's largest industry, there is obviously oppositions. But does it make sense to reward the culprits of the problem with $700 billion unconditionally, and ignore the victims?

As a Ford dealer, I feel our portion of the $25 billion will never be touched and is not necessary. Ford currently has $29 billion of liquidity. However, the effect of a bankruptcy by GM will hurt the suppliers we all do business with. A Chapter 11 bankruptcy by any manufacture would cost retirees their health care and retirements. Chances are GM would recover from Chapter 11 with a better business plan with much less expense. So who foots the bill if GM or all three go Chapter 11? All that extra health care, unemployment, loss of tax base and some forgiven debt goes back to the taxpayer, us. With no chance of repayment, this would be much worse than a loan with the intent of repayment.

So while it is debatable whether a loan or Chapter 11 is better for the Big Three, a $25 billion loan is definitely better for the taxpayers and the economy of our country.

So I'll end where I began on the quality of the products of Detroit . Before you, Mr. or Ms. Journalist continue to misinform the American public and turn them against one of the great industries that helped build this nation, I must ask you one question. Before you, Mr. or Madam Congressman vote to end health care and retirement benefits for 1 million retirees, eliminate 2.5 million of our nation's jobs, lose the technology that will lead us in the future and create an economic disaster including hundreds of billions of tax dollars lost, I ask this question not in the rhetorical sense. I ask it in the sincere, literal way.

Can you tell me, have you driven a Ford lately?

Jim Jackson
Elkins

I don't agree with all the authors points but he does make some good ones IMO.

Rick.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by FOUNTAIN 1
As I've stated above its a design flaw directly effected from the change over from springs to coil front suspention . As of right now there are a few bandades to the prob but no real cure. My 06 shakes violently, after hitting almost anything bridges, any slight deviations in the road , I no longer can allow my family to ride in this High dollar investment, I love my sd but its unsafe. And the pisser is ford is reluctantly screwing everyone with one of theese trucks , Its a little funny that being the avid ford person, that youre unawhere of an event effecting so many of us fellow ford SD owners . i'll get some of these tsb and post them as well, link a thread also. THEN we can see whose been here just to bash ford. just maybe ford has bashed me !!

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ICLE/809280354
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...th-wobble.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ow-to-fix.html
Sounds like you have a ligitimate problem, BTW, welcome to the site. If your trying to make a point to FMC, this isn't the correct venue for that to happen. You should call FMC customer service direct. Thier number is inside your owners manual.

Have you posted on the Superduty Forum? It's extremely informative with tons of awesome discussions. You may find a fix or a fellow member who shares your problem.

BTW, when you write a post in all uppercase, it's most likely not going to be read so therefore, your point may never be realized.

Again, welcome, I look forward to some informative posts

I had a '95 T-bird that didn't deserve the space it would take up in a land fill. My '88 F-150 has had some past issues. It's a machine, some are great and some are crap. I've had some of both.

Take care,

Tim

Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 PM
FOUNTAIN 1
Elder User
Sorry for the upper case thing , labtop getting old . needs new keyboard . And this prob is way past customer service folks . Any way enough on this ,its being adressed by the highway safty now , so hopefully we"ll get a recall and get theese trucks fixed once and for all . Like i said before i really love my truck just wish ford would take care of the prob , Ill only continue to buy e 350s as ive never had one let me down , ive owned 7 thoughout the years, using them in my comercial flooring buisness . Awsom trucks . thanks im on to read some more threads this ones been beat to death sorry .

Old 12-17-2008, 05:40 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Red Ford Truck, that was an excellent read, thanks for the info. I think that pretty much sums it up in a nut shell. People don't realize how far reaching the auto industry truely is. You have the 3 million jobs directly related, but how many millions are related indirectly? My son works at a small factory that makes parts for ford and GM, they have recently laid off 60 people from thier 300 man work force. How many other such small factoies are there a cross the country? Then there's dealers, parts suppliers, steel suppliers, paint suppliers, aftermarket auto parts, people that make mods and accereries for american auto's, tires, the list goes on and on. It would hit every corner of the country if they were to fail and even reach a round the world. I still don't believe the americans get a fair shake in the media, or are reconized for all they've done for this country and it's workers. The american auto industry set the standard for the middle class. I believe the americans build a product next to none in quality and value. I think Alan has done alot for ford and are scratching thier way out of this mess under his leadership. It's a long hard road, but with good leadership and good products, ford can succeed. I don't believe poor chrysler is gonna make it no matter what they do. I believe it will be left up to ford and GM to carry the torch when all is said and done.
Thats again for the info, it gives me a lot to think about. Sure, we know ford isn't perfect, but thier trying under very difficult conditions to say the least.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:52 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
Wendell,
When the big 3 goes bankrupt they will be in much better shape by shedding the UAW and more people will likely be able to come back to work. At first they will shut down but I doubt mnay will lose their jobs.

They are laying people off left and right and closing plants, laying off entire shifts.

The Big 3 can't continue to operate with their business as usual plan. The Senate didn't like their plan of heading down the same path so they killed the bailout.
I don't like the bailout. If you run a ****ty business and you run out of money,too bad. You go bankrupt.
If we bail these idiots out who's going to be next? This nonsense needs to stop.

I don't agree with the article. It's written from a pro big 3 standpoint and it's just one favorable article and viewpoint in support of the failed auto industry.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:11 AM
FOUNTAIN 1
Elder User
sirs , i feel the biggest prob facing the auto industry is primarily due to the credit crunch and wall street greed , and the current deregulation of by the gov. If the housing bubble wouldnt have been allowed we all would be seeing a differant story i feel . Even after billions and billions theese banks wont lend . Therfore how can one sell a car or truck . i also think if the uaw would give for the sake of being much more competative would go along way . Foreign cars are feeling the crunch be assured , they will soon be calling for help .

Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 PM
wiingnut
Posting Guru
Well guys just thought I would chime in. 1st pt. Death wobble, dealt w/ first hand. My 05 was dealt w/ according to TSB and I was fortunate it solved problem. 2. I had seen the letter above from the dealer, and I agree w/ writer, but he has his figures messed up regarding donations from Big 3, HD, and Toyota. All 5 contributed on $1,000,000 each to Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. 3. As for Firestone debacle, I feel it was handled wrong. You couldn't pay me to have Firestone Tires, though I know just as many people who love them as others and myself hate them.
I would also like to point out, that our half hearted criminal justice system allowed many backless claims, due to people not being held responsible for their actions, whether accident was due to under inflation, excessive speed, etc. I'm not saying all the claims weren't justified, but I distinctly remember a claim were the jury allowed a 140 million dollar verdict when 2 teenagers were in an explorer going in excess of 80 mph. The driver fell asleep at the wheel with foot on gas, the passenger tried to gain control of vehicle from pass seat as it hit rumble strips, as he battled the teen asleep at the wheel, he was unable to gain control and the vehicle rolled. The parents of the teen driving were awareded the amount I mentioned earlier. I hate to hear of anyone dying, let alone someone so young, but can't imagine anything more than operator error.
I have said my peace, and I'm willing to take my lumps for whatever reason. Last but not least, I would like to mention I have loved all my vehicles only Ford. Never owned anything else. When I did have trouble, it was taken care of by a first rate dealer. Sorry for rambling

Old 12-17-2008, 12:50 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
[quote=FOUNTAIN 1;6894632]sirs , i feel the biggest prob facing the auto industry is primarily due to the credit crunch and wall street greed

There's tons of money to lend. People who are credit worthy simply have to apply for it.

Originally Posted by wiingnut
Well guys just thought I would chime in. 1st pt. Death wobble, dealt w/ first hand. My 05 was dealt w/ according to TSB and I was fortunate it solved problem. 2. I had seen the letter above from the dealer, and I agree w/ writer, but he has his figures messed up regarding donations from Big 3, HD, and Toyota. All 5 contributed on $1,000,000 each to Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. 3. As for Firestone debacle, I feel it was handled wrong. You couldn't pay me to have Firestone Tires, though I know just as many people who love them as others and myself hate them.
I would also like to point out, that our half hearted criminal justice system allowed many backless claims, due to people not being held responsible for their actions, whether accident was due to under inflation, excessive speed, etc. I'm not saying all the claims weren't justified, but I distinctly remember a claim were the jury allowed a 140 million dollar verdict when 2 teenagers were in an explorer going in excess of 80 mph. The driver fell asleep at the wheel with foot on gas, the passenger tried to gain control of vehicle from pass seat as it hit rumble strips, as he battled the teen asleep at the wheel, he was unable to gain control and the vehicle rolled. The parents of the teen driving were awareded the amount I mentioned earlier. I hate to hear of anyone dying, let alone someone so young, but can't imagine anything more than operator error.
I have said my peace, and I'm willing to take my lumps for whatever reason. Last but not least, I would like to mention I have loved all my vehicles only Ford. Never owned anything else. When I did have trouble, it was taken care of by a first rate dealer. Sorry for rambling
Thanks for the rambling sir, good stuff.

Tim

Old 12-17-2008, 07:30 PM
FOUNTAIN 1
Elder User
unfourtunately in this day and age thers not enough people with good enough credit to keep the auto industry going ! im bidding jobs against half the people i use to , mearly because of the credit crunch . thers a substantial less moneys out there than there was !

Old 12-17-2008, 08:13 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Yet they keep printing more money. That makes so much sense.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:26 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I agree with you Foutain 1, the crsit crunch and housing buble led to must of the problems today. High gas didn't help either.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:19 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Though some of you may hate me for saying it. It was a working government and not enough taxes that led to the debt that we are in. That made the government to print more money to pay down the debt which made all of our dollars worth even less.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:46 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry, but there is ample worldwide evidence contradicting you. When governments decrease taxes investments go up and revenues increase. Increasing taxes doesn't solve problems, decreasing spending does. If your home or business has expenses out weighing its income you can't magically make money appear, you cut spending. Fiscal irresponsibility and high regulatory requirements makes it hard for companies here to compete, and its why they move production off-shore.

The corporate tax rate here is among the highest in the world so its no mystery why companies here have trouble competing in the world market.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:13 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
I agree, but also union wages are also higher here per hour of laber. which drives the cost of product up. which increases the price that people pay. We need to get rid of unions or at least lower there control over companys.

People are mad because a company goes overseas or to mexico. but really its because they cant afford to do nothing but that.

Quick Reply: Why would Ford build anything the buyer wants?