Well, it has been a good run...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:25 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, it has been a good run...

I have been making and running bio for almost a year now. It has been great. Such an awesome money saver. However, my sources for WVO have all pretty much dried up.

I started getting 50-100 gallons/week and was loving it. All free. then it went down to 30 and has dropped to 10 as of late.

Local rendering plants around here pay anywhere from $.40 - $2 per gallon. Apparently, quite of few larger restaurants have gone to the smaller restaurants (that would otherwise have to pay) and offered to buy their oil.

Man, it has gotten pretty cut throat. I am glad that crude has fallen as much as it has, but I do not doubt it will skyrocket again soon.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here that helped me get started and answered all the questions I had. I am still collecting what oil I can get but the gap between time and cost is shrinking.

Once again, thanks for all the help!

Old 12-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry to hear. Having opposite problem, starting to stockpile on us. One source that we use, although not regular, is special events, such as home shows, fairs, Sturgis Rally... Just a thought. Hope new sources come through for you. best of luck.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:18 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to hear that Dave, any way you could join with any other homebrewers, and pool resources? I'm like Trent, getting more every day. Since the price of dino-diesel has dropped, 2 of the people that were making bio in my area have quit, and I've taken over their supplies. Best of luck to you, and keep your equipment.........Dino will soon be up there again!

Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Oh yes. I will still collect whatever I can.

Who long is it ok to store the WVO for?

Old 12-07-2008, 04:58 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just keep the air away from it. I've got some that is 2 years old, and it still makes good bio. Air and water are your enemies!

Old 12-07-2008, 05:01 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am having the same issue, my source went to a commercial pickup (the entire chain of stores went to it so not a local choice and I have no way to do the pickup for all 250 stores across 3 states) But the manager of the deli likes me so when she is working it still mysteriously shows up in the bed of my pickup (I park the pickup at this place when I am at work driving the semi)

Old 12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
littledre1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Just keep the air away from it. I've got some that is 2 years old, and it still makes good bio. Air and water are your enemies!
From what I've read if you de-water/filter and fill your containers to the very top, absolutely no air, you can be good up to 5 years or more.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
come on guys, think outside the box. a great source of realy good low titrant oil for me has been the local high schools, the local hospital "Northeast Medical center" and several assisted liveing "old folks homes" . all of the resturaunts that I collected from had burnt oil so these other places have been my only sources for a while now. between 5 schools the hospital and 2 old folks homes I get about 250 gallons a week of good hardly used oil. the oil from the schools titrates at .5 to .75 and is pure canola. sorry for the long speech but these places are viable alternatives to resturaunts and they are rarely thought about..

Old 12-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hmmm. pure canole... will need to check ours out once we get going. Already have about 250 gallons to process. (not Canola)

Old 12-10-2008, 10:37 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MAKO314
come on guys, think outside the box. a great source of realy good low titrant oil for me has been the local high schools, the local hospital "Northeast Medical center" and several assisted liveing "old folks homes" . all of the resturaunts that I collected from had burnt oil so these other places have been my only sources for a while now. between 5 schools the hospital and 2 old folks homes I get about 250 gallons a week of good hardly used oil. the oil from the schools titrates at .5 to .75 and is pure canola. sorry for the long speech but these places are viable alternatives to resturaunts and they are rarely thought about..
I thought about them, but local cities require them to have a licensed rendering company pickup their oil. They have to provide proof to the health department every month.

Not only that, deep fryers in the schools are almost non-existent now. They are combating childhood obesity you know. They won't bring back PE, but they will get rid of the fryers.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My wife used to be the cook for the local headstart program which is attached to the school system basically here. anyway they used almost a whole quart of vegetable oil a month. The hospital doesn't have a deep fryer at all and the regular schools took them out a few year ago.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:31 AM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
damn I guess we in the south love our fried food! oh well it was a thought.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
There is a place here now that will trade an order of tacos for 1/gallon of oil.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:14 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, here it is, the final stretch..I will have the next 5 days off, come back to work for 3, and the rest of the year off. Lots of Kid beating to be done.. hopefuly some sledding, and whatever other outdoor thing I can think of.. Maybe we will get some snow, and I can get the boys out on the go-cart.. that could be fun.. Not to bad of a year.. hired 2 guys, fired only 1, sadly the day before Thanksgiving..Shop is going nuts (busy). Looking forward to next year..

Old 12-11-2008, 11:10 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry guys, I dont know how this post up top got here...

Quick Reply: Well, it has been a good run...