1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Ford Super Duty "missing"

Old 12-13-2008, 01:10 PM
balderdash1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Ford Super Duty "missing"

Hi all,

New to the forum and trying to get some ideas on what's going on with my truck. Symptoms include rough idle, engine "missing" particulary as engine
accelerates into overdrive. My mechanic said compression was good, had two oil-fouled plugs and that the missfires were originating from cylinders #2 and #3. I have had to replace several injectors previously and it does indeed feel like a similar situation. It was an expensive fix though, so if this is something I could do on my own, I would like to. Just wanted to get ideas from forum members on any other ideas they might have as to what might be causing this problem..

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE, balderdash1!

Are the misfires hard or just sporadic? If the cylinders are misfiring all the time, just locate the bad cylinder and:
(1) Purchase a COP (coil over plug) for anywhere from $26 to $55 at a parts house and replace the COPs and boots. Most COPs come with boots now.
(2) Check/Replace the plugs.

If it just misfires occasionally, I would go to the nearest dealership and see if they could hook it up to a WDS (worldwide diagnostic system) to locate the problem(s). I have heard different costs associated with the diagnostic hookup, but around here it costs about $50. Not much to spend and saves alot of time and guesswork.

Search this Thread