1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

What Did I get Myself Into? Please Help Me

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Staytuned25
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Did I get Myself Into? Please Help Me

I bought my 01 Navigator on Dec 1st and I'm having serious doubts.

The body has 116,000 and the motor was just replaced with a low mileage motor that has 22,000 miles on it and it comes with a 6 month warranty but only on the motor.

My first problem was that the idle was bad and the suv would shake and kinda sputter over 40 mph. I took it back to the guy and he fixed it(he owns a repair shop). He said that a vacuum hose was not connected. *sigh* Drove fine after that.

*New Problem*

When driving sometimes the car acts as if it doesn't want to move. Like I'll floor the gas and it barely wants to move and this mainly happens over 50 mph and at one point in time I had to exit off the freeway and it shut off on me when I was making a u-turn. *sigh* It also makes this strange noise whenever I come to a stop or sometimes when driving off. It's a semi-sreeching straining type of noise... My brother is scaring me telling me about probs with the tranny and rear diff.. What could it be???

I'ma kill this guy that I bought it from because I'm so pissed. He acted as if it was gold but I feel like I bought silver. He seems cool because he has a shop so he tells me to take it to him tomorrow. I'm worried he's gonna say it's the tranny/diff and not want to do anything about it. Man I'm so frustrated.

Sorry for the long post, I just got home from work and I'm pissed because the same **** happened on the highway on my way home just now...*sigh*

Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Oldtrucknut7077
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double check the trans fluid level.
As for the rest, did it come with a warranty? You may have to look into your state laws for dishonest dealers/sellers and lemon laws. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:42 PM
4DTech
Junior User
Well my first question to ask is does it have the stock wheels on it and was it a right hand u-turn if the answer is no to both, left front fender well, harness on the back side of the wheel well. Comes down and comes to the outside of the frame then goes up along the frame on the outside of the body mounts. If oversized wheels check for chaffing on the harness. Common issue.

As far as the others without witnessing cannot give you any opinion.. But deffinately double check those wires... Hope this helps.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:49 AM
fitzy67
Senior User
check tire pressure and wear

Be sure that the tire pressure is equal all around and that the tires are all evenly worn. If it has A4WD then the difference in diameter of tires from uneven pressure and wear can cause the 4wd computer to trigger the transfer case thinking the rear wheels are slipping. This can cause a screeching type noise from the front end. I heard this when I bought my 2000 EXPY until I evened out the tire pressure. It was even better when I bought new tires (all 4, never just two). good luck fitzy67

Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Staytuned25
Junior User
Well, I thought I would post back and let you guys know what transpired this week. I took it back to him and would you believe that it died right before I got there. It started back up and when I got there I was pretty ticked off and I expressed to him that I was not pleased with the fact that I've had it for 2 weeks and experiencing this much problems.

Btw, it's a 2wd truck and the wheels are 18's I think but with big tires. Lol

He drove it with me and he experienced the sputtering and it wanting to shut off. He immediately told me that he was pretty sure that it was the fuel filter. I left it there for a couple of days and he called and told me that it was the FUEL PUMP and so he replaced it. Picked it up earlier today and so far it's running fine. Apparently it was going out and the problems were sporadic.

I do notice that the noise is still there though. It makes this noise only when I come to a complete stop or should I say when I'm in the process of coming to a complete stop. It sounds as if something is under strain, like the motor mounts or something. It's a strange strenuous screeching sound it last for about a second. Damn, I'm sick of taking this SUV back to this guy because it's so inconvenient.

I have a 6 month warranty on the motor which was just replaced with a low mileage 22,000+ mile motor according to the guy. He also said that the transmission was replaced last year too. Apparently the SUV was owned by one of his customers because he owns a repair shop. He claims he's been servicing it since they bought it.

Anyone can hook me up with Carfax? I know I was stupid to not check before I bought it and I should've known better because it's not like I'm new to cars. Stupid me...

Old 12-20-2008, 05:57 AM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
Originally Posted by fitzy67
Be sure that the tire pressure is equal all around and that the tires are all evenly worn. If it has A4WD then the difference in diameter of tires from uneven pressure and wear can cause the 4wd computer to trigger the transfer case thinking the rear wheels are slipping. This can cause a screeching type noise from the front end. I heard this when I bought my 2000 EXPY until I evened out the tire pressure. It was even better when I bought new tires (all 4, never just two). good luck fitzy67
The label on the door says 30 psi in front and 35 psi in rear tires; it's not supposed to be equal. You can, however, increase the pressure evenly (in proportion) across all four tires by about 2-3 psi to get a bit more mpg out of it, but you shouldn't be running equal pressure across all four. That's one of the physical factors that influence tcase clutch pack engage/disengages.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:00 AM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
Originally Posted by Staytuned25
Well, I thought I would post back and let you guys know what transpired this week. I took it back to him and would you believe that it died right before I got there. It started back up and when I got there I was pretty ticked off and I expressed to him that I was not pleased with the fact that I've had it for 2 weeks and experiencing this much problems.

Btw, it's a 2wd truck and the wheels are 18's I think but with big tires. Lol

He drove it with me and he experienced the sputtering and it wanting to shut off. He immediately told me that he was pretty sure that it was the fuel filter. I left it there for a couple of days and he called and told me that it was the FUEL PUMP and so he replaced it. Picked it up earlier today and so far it's running fine. Apparently it was going out and the problems were sporadic.

I do notice that the noise is still there though. It makes this noise only when I come to a complete stop or should I say when I'm in the process of coming to a complete stop. It sounds as if something is under strain, like the motor mounts or something. It's a strange strenuous screeching sound it last for about a second. Damn, I'm sick of taking this SUV back to this guy because it's so inconvenient.

I have a 6 month warranty on the motor which was just replaced with a low mileage 22,000+ mile motor according to the guy. He also said that the transmission was replaced last year too. Apparently the SUV was owned by one of his customers because he owns a repair shop. He claims he's been servicing it since they bought it.

Anyone can hook me up with Carfax? I know I was stupid to not check before I bought it and I should've known better because it's not like I'm new to cars. Stupid me...
The fuel pump going out sound plausible at that mileage. Can't this guy just show you the repair records for the vehicle on file, like for the trans replacement?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Staytuned25
Junior User
Anyone with a Carfax account? I'm gonna ask him to show me the service records too. The noise is still there though. It happens now too whenever I start up the car for the first time in the morning and usually when I'm going into drive or reverse. And it still happens when I'm coming to a full stop. Anyone have any idea of what it could be? Motor mounts? The tranny shifts fine I guess but this noise is annoying and getting louder. I'm seriously thinking of returning this POS to this guy since he offered to take it back cause he saw that I wasn't pleased at all. Damn problems are back to back man....I just wanna drive it and not worry about that stuff. This is the main reason I sold my turbo Eclipse cause of too many problems and repairs I had to be doing. Sucks for me looking for reliability..argh..

Old 12-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Z06PSI
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Send me the VIN to andrew.c.baker@us.army.mil as I have about 6 reports left from where I bought my 05 Navi on Sat.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Z06PSI
Senior User
Carfax sent!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Brandon_01
Senior User
Sorry about your bad luck, Staytuned. I'd return it if it were me. My luck, I'd get a week out of the 6 months and the motor would fall out of the truck and catch fire.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Staytuned25
Junior User
Car has frame damage from back in 2003, Carfax said it was hit in the "right rear". Alot of people are telling me it's not bad since it was so long ago and it doesn't look as if it was hit at all. I'm concerned about this affecting the resale value in case I want to sell it.

I'm stupid man, I always did Carfax's on all my cars but I didn't get it on this one. I mean, it drives fine except for this noise that it makes. I go on vacation tomorrow so I'll take it to him in the AM. Depending on how the conversation goes I might give it back to him whether he wants it back or not. I just spent all this money and I'm not pleased. *sigh*

ZO6PSI, thanks for hooking me up.

Any advice guys?

Old 12-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Z06PSI
Senior User
No problem. I was looking at an 2005 and Autochex discovered Frame Damage that Carfax did not catch. On the 05 I purchased I got a Carfax and an Autochex as well as a 3rd party inspection done.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Oldtrucknut7077
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, what a nightmare to go through. A few couple of years ago, I bought an 03 Expy come to find out that the left side was banged up. I actually saw the sand marks in the paint covered putty. Needless to say the dealer and I went round & round. It wasn't in the carfax report. I no longer own that vehicle. Good luck with your deal.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Staytuned25
Junior User
Ok, so I took it back to him to have him diagnose this noise that I've been hearing. After we drove around for a while and he took it back to the shop and looked at it he said it was the Driver's side catalytic converter baffle that's going bad. He said the CEL is not on yet so it isn't that bad yet apart from the noise. Do these things tend to go out on these cars or is he full of ****? Is there a driver's side and a passenger's side?

So of course he told me that this wasn't coved but he'd give me a good deal on replacing it with a used aftermarket one. I looked around on Ebay but I got a little confused since it seems like some were for different years and some were for both sides. Kinda confused at this point. I know I should be able to replace it myself just need some direction on getting the part first.

Quick Reply: What Did I get Myself Into? Please Help Me