Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Technical Help Needed - Throttle Pedal Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Technical Help Needed - Throttle Pedal Assembly

OK... some of you know that I've been working through a TPS issue lately. For thsoe who don't I've already determined that the sensor MUST be replaced...

- disconnecting & reconnecting didn't fix anything...
- abundant use of electrical contact cleaner made no difference...
- error code has been verified...
- symptoms are classic for the TPS.

I purchased the correct part number (sensor alone) for my '02 only to find that I have an '01 assembly where the sensor is integral with the pedal.

Here's my question... has anyone switched their pedal assembly out from the integral unit to the one where you can replace just the sensor alone?

The integral assembly's sensor has four connector pins in the housing, and the newer non-integral assembly (where you can replace just the sensor alone) has only THREE connector pins in the housing. My harness connector has a FOUR pin connection.

I'm interested in cosidering the switch to the newer arrangement, but do nto know what all is involved, and am hoping that someone else has already done this and made notes about what is required to make the change.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't help but giving you a bump, Pete.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Thanks, Chris

Old 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately I have a 2000 and had the same TPS issue but ended up switching the whole assembly. The metal contactor was bent on mine and the whole sensor wasnt bad, I dont think.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't feel too bad Pete, I have a 01' and dreading the day I need to change mine.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:27 PM
F250_
Hotshot
It's actualy a very simple changeout, Rick.

3 bolts, all 10mm just like for the CPS, and one (sometimes two) electrical connectors. Total swap out time was about 15 minutes, most of which is getting into a good position to reach up under the dash and ratcheting on the long 10mm bolts. DANGIT... I just realized I should have used my son's air wrench - will do that next time for sure!

I purchased my new assembly from Y2K Ford... they had the best price at $71.47 plus S&H. Shoot, I've already spent about $38 of that on the sensor I'll be returning to them anyway.

I also found out that Dorman makes an aftermarket setup as OE replacements, and Dieselsite has the Ford OE replacements as well. Down side is that Dorman won't sell to the public, and I could not find a location with enough of a discount to beat Y2K's pricing. As much as I've liked dealing with Dieselsite in the past, their price was not competitive either.

Here's the detail for a 2001 Throttle Pedal Assembly with a single 4-wire connector -
Ford part number 1C3Z9F836C = $71.47 + S&H

I'm going to just forget about trying to switch over to the non-integrated assembly for now and run with what I know will work with minimum time investment on my part.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I was going to say, that it would be a lot easier just to get the correct assembly and plug it in.
And yes, air ratchets turn it into a 2 minute job.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
It's actualy a very simple changeout, Rick.

3 bolts, all 10mm just like for the CPS, and one (sometimes two) electrical connectors. Total swap out time was about 15 minutes, most of which is getting into a good position to reach up under the dash and ratcheting on the long 10mm bolts. DANGIT... I just realized I should have used my son's air wrench - will do that next time for sure!

I purchased my new assembly from Y2K Ford... they had the best price at $71.47 plus S&H. Shoot, I've already spent about $38 of that on the sensor I'll be returning to them anyway.

I also found out that Dorman makes an aftermarket setup as OE replacements, and Dieselsite has the Ford OE replacements as well. Down side is that Dorman won't sell to the public, and I could not find a location with enough of a discount to beat Y2K's pricing. As much as I've liked dealing with Dieselsite in the past, their price was not competitive either.

Here's the detail for a 2001 Throttle Pedal Assembly with a single 4-wire connector -
Ford part number 1C3Z9F836C = $71.47 + S&H

I'm going to just forget about trying to switch over to the non-integrated assembly for now and run with what I know will work with minimum time investment on my part.
Thanks Pete. I thought it was more work then that. I would be like you and go with what you know works with minimum investment.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:46 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
...it would be a lot easier just to get the correct assembly and plug it in....
But you know, Dan... sometimes my "engineer brain" kicks in and starts me thinking along the lines of theoretical and gadget-oriented solutions, and the result is often something like my first post.

Then, I get a few hours of more serious thinking about the "great idea" and all its implications, and more frequently land right where I am now.... remembering that a lot of times "less is more", the "K.I.S.S. principle" is a generalization that is generally true, and it's very often more effective to just "get 'er done".

Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM
F250_
Hotshot
UPDATE...

5 years and almost 100K miles later, and I have to replace the pedal assembly AGAIN. Serious dead spot issues this time in the potentiometer. At least 3-4 times on the way to work and 3-4 times on the way home EVERY DAY, I have to pump the accelerator several times all the way to the floor to get it to start working again, and have actually begun seeing the CES light the last couple days.

I have to say that from the very beginning with this existing pedal assembly I installed back in '08, there was a slight dead spot at the initial pedal depression. The throttle had gotten pretty sensitive, increasingly so, over the past year or two, and is getting worse by the day. I hope it will last until I can get a new one in from Tousley Ford.

Oh... and the price has gone up from $71.47 + S&H to $91.88 + S&H. The current list price from Ford is $177.72, so Tousley is definitely providing a really good break on price for the OEM replacement part. BUYER BEWARE, though... some parts supply places online are advertising the list price as high as $344 and then offering the part at $188 which is above what MOST of the Ford dealers show to be the true list price ($177.72).

I also did a little checking around before ordering, and Tousley still beats everyone else's prices, from what I can find anyway....
- Dieselsite no longer carries the part.
- Pure Diesel Power sells it at full list price.
- Another online Ford parts dealer was within $7, but they were higher.
- Some online Ford dealers offer the part at about $145.
- Rock Auto offers an OEM alternate part by Standard Products for $137.
- Various other sources have the OEM part for anywhere from $97-$110.
- Also, it seems that Clay (Riffraff) doesn't carry the part, either (I know that some of you would ask/wonder).

Oh... some of you probably already know, but in case you don't, Tousley has been renamed to AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts.

Finally, the same part number still works (1C3Z9F836C) for this integrated pedal/sensor assembly.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
Oh... some of you probably already know, but in case you don't, Tousley has been renamed to AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts.
Yeah, when I saw the name change last month, I thought they had been bought out. But Steve's thread in the vendor forum yesterday explained they've been Autonation for 15 years and just decided to change the name.

Reps for the follow up post.

Stewart

Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 AM
F250_
Hotshot
The truck is getting pretty darn near being undrive-able at this point. I must have had to cycle the throttle repeatedly on at least 20 occasions during the 20-minute, 9-mile drive to the office this morning.

My new pedal is supposed to arrive on Monday from AutoNation , but I'm seriously thinking about getting one from a local dealer this afternoon. Then, once the new one arrives from AutoNation next week, I can simply take that one back to the dealer as an unopened "return".

INTERESTING NOTE: The cruise control works flawlessly when I can use it (like during my Tues/Thurs road trips this week), but that doesn't really help me in my stop-and-go driving to and from the office.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM
F250_
Hotshot
ANOTHER UPDATE:

On Saturday morning, I went ahead and swapped out my quickly dying pedal assembly with one form my local dealer. When the new one arrives from AutoNation (supposedly today), I'll put it in the box from my local dealer and return that one back for a refund.

All I can say is WOW!! This new pedal assembly does not have the same initial dead spot when first touching the accelerator to take off. This thing is smooth, sensitive from the get-go, and linearly responsive from start to finish! I'm having to re-learn how to drive my truck all over again! In fact, when coming to the office this morning on slightly wet roads, I'm having the same trouble I used to have (on the original pedal assembly, before changing it out five years ago with the one I just replaced) in terms of losing traction from just the gentlest starts.

Now, I want to do a complete tear down on the one I just removed from the truck to see its innards and see if I can figure out any way to make repairs to avoid complete replacements in the future. I'll start a different thread on that effort and post pics so others who are more electronically savvy can offer their expertise.