Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:16 AM
COLD SHOT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission fluid

I have a 03 explorer and want to check and add transmission fluid. Is there any tricks to doing this. it doesn't have a dip stick you open a plug on the transmission itself to check.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
it is a double plug. there is a small plug inside a big plug that is a tube 2 inches tall. pul the big plug to drain 5 quarts. pump oil back up the small hole with a weed sprayer and it will go in 2 inches deep, then start to flow out the fill hole. thats full. use MERCON V.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Old 12-11-2008, 05:27 AM
Diesel Man 03
Senior User
Do it the way way the posting guru says to,I have nooooo idea why FORD DID THIS EXCEPT TO SELL MORE TRANSMISSIONS when people don't take care of this issue.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:59 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I gotta chime in here,,,Just yesterday 12/10/08 I pulled the tranny pan on my 04' Explorer,4.6 v-8 ,had a new gasket and trans filter,,knowing I needed to pump in the fluid,,,we did some capacity fills in the pan,,,,to the top of that big drain plug tube ,,,IT ONLY HOLDS 3 QTS OF MERCON-V !!!!! Did this right on the work bench !,,,Pan was level ! the pan will hold about 6 qts of fluid level to the top,

The trans filter sucks from the low point in the pan(a depression in the pan),,
When the fluid stop's draining out when the small plug is removed,,,there is 3 Qts left in the pan thats it !!!!! I replaced the small (1/8 pipe thread) plug with a 1/8 pipe thread valve,(like a radiator drain valve),,so you can shut it off with out it running down your arm,,,,we put 4 qts in the pan, I slid the pan up under the tranny(Explorer was on a lift) the tranny pan will sit on the exhaust pipe and a cross member,,we dumped in a 5th qt of Mercon v, then raised the pan up and bolted it in place,,(we got a little fluid dripping out here and there),,wipped it all down,,started the Ex on the lift,,ran it through the gears,,,no leaks,,then pumped in a 6th qt of Mercon V, through my valve,,worked slicker then SNOT,,no leaks at all,,,,THAT 6 QTS WE PUT IN IT,,,NOT 3 ! Our thery is FORD wants you to install only 3 qts,,,,instead of 6 qts,,(the trans will work with 3 qts, because it sucks from the low point on the pan),so you burn the tranny up,,and then have to replace it just out of warranty for big $$$
Now when I drained the pan I pulled the small plug first,,just to see how much was in there,,,,and I figure about 3 qts came out,,(I did not catch it, to measure,,I should have). By having the valve on the pan Drain now,,If I see it is coming out the vent having 2 much oil in it,,I can drain some off,,easy enough,,open the valve drain half a qt,,and shut it,,try again !

Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
if you put too much oil in a transmission, you can get up into the rotating parts and might cause some foaming. cant say what that level is, i did not design the trans.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:09 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear ya steve,thats why I put the valve on the pan,,instead of the plug,,,I also was checking out the 4411 Borg Warner TOD(torque on demand) transfer case on Yahoo and found another tranny forum,,with all kinds of Questions, and replys from others,,and several guys had said thay installed the 3 qts,,and after running thru the gears, and warming it up some,,the 5R55 transmission took about another 3 Qts,,so thats 6 Qts,,right were I am at with this fluid and filter change. I drove the Explorer yesterday and all seemed fine,,no leaks, shifted good,,and after draining and refilling the B.W (TOD)4411 transfer case,,it seems to be much smoother on the Auto 4x4 engaging issues it has when turning a corner and so on.

I myself am thinking I would like to find a way to eliminate the Auto 4x4 function on the Explorer, but still be able to use 4x4 High and Low when I need it.

I also beleive alot of the issue people have with Explorer transmissions has something to do with this transfer case and the Auto 4x4 clutch,(I think it is a magnetic clutch)as the front tire's turn left or right the sensor's pick the speed difference up,,make the clutch engage(thinking it is slipping) and now it is binding somewhat in 4x4 mode.

We had the Explorer running in gear up on the lift,,when in Auto4x4 all 4 tires turning,,there was a definate vibration and rythmatic resonance going through the whole truck,,a friend had his hand on the Right front tow Hook,,and you could feel this clunking,,vibration through the Tow Hook,,(How weird is that),,,My son sitting in the Explorer up on the lift,,,push'es the 4x4 High button,,,,,Guess what,,,,No More Noise,,No more vibration, or resonance,,No more feeling it in the tow Hook,,everything was smooth as silk,,,clicks it back to Auto 4x4,,,vibration and noise is back,,has something to do with that Auto 4x4 clutch !!,,And when you take off from like a stop sign or light, turning right or left,,,I can feel this clutch chattering,,,thats why I would like to disconnect it,,and just use 4x4 High when you need it!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:37 PM
whimsey
Senior User
Contrary to the vehicle manufactures I've always found that CHANGING the vehicle fluids on a reasonable basis is a lot less expensive in the long run. For the tranny if using Ford MerconV then a full fluid exchange, not flush, along with first change of the factory AT filter and an AT filter every other exchange will keep your expensive tranny in good shape. Unless you have preordained mechanical problems with that tranny ATF tranny fluid exchange at 25,000-30,000 intervals will keep a tranny good with fresh fluid. You can do only pan drops and filter changes more often often but it's expensive and a pain in the butt doing it yourself.

The transfer case takes MerconV. Change it at the same 25,000-30,000 interval to keep the fluid fresh. It's easy to do yourself. Or even paying to have it done is a lot less expensive than repairs or replacement.

Whimsey