General Automotive Discussion

Luxury trucks

Old 12-10-2008, 01:39 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Luxury trucks

Does anybody know how many Lincoln and Cadillac pickups have been sold?
(The Caddy is some kind of Escalade version).

I can't imagine too many, although Edmunds was kind enough to say that since the Lincoln was based on the F-150, it's a real truck.

Nothing against either vehicle. I just have a hard time figuring out who would want one.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:09 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's quit a few linclon p/u's on the road around here, but ford didn't update the LT when it revised the F-150 for 09. So I guess the luxary p/u is dead again. The blackwood sells were so limited, it should be a collectors item one day. It was unique looking, I will give it that.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:57 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Eh the only people that buy those trucks are the semi-wealthy and the "blang blang" crowd. Same as the Escalade.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:06 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The damage these things do to the image of luxury car divisions isnt worth the profit on the small numbers of them sold. You dont see a BMW pickup or a Lexus-badged Tundra. Cadillac has a decent car portfiolio now, its time to drop the truck. Lincoln on the other hand was starved while Ford got distracted with Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo.

Jim

Old 12-11-2008, 11:25 PM
7d2 Custom
Senior User
Luxury pick up? That word is an oxymoron in my book, while the owners are just simply moron in said mentioned book.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:42 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
With the last gas spike, I think it pushed trucks back into the hands of those who need and use them as they were intended. There for a while, soocer moms, lawyers, golfers and everyone else was buying trucks. At that time a linclon truck had a market as well as a logical appeal for the well to do. Even the rich like to save money, thats how they stay rich. So with the uncertainty of gas prices, the rich can save a buck by driving a MKZ, or an MKX if they need more room for thier golf clubs and still get over 20 mpg.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:38 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey the '08 F-150 in our family is quite luxurious. Just sit in the '89 Dodge it replaced. My father-in-law just loves it.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 7d2 Custom
Luxury pick up? That word is an oxymoron in my book, while the owners are just simply moron in said mentioned book.
You've just called thousands of Lariat, King Ranch, Limited, and Platinum owners on this site morons. How does the shoe leather taste?

Old 12-14-2008, 02:39 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the shoe fits?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Well, I guess I'm one of the blang-blang, semi-wealthy morons roaming the roads. I had a 2006 Harley-Davidson edition F-250 until it was stolen. I then opted to replace it with a 2008 Lincoln Mark LT. And, now that Ford has worked out the questionable interior in the Harley Super Duties again, I will most likely be ordering somewhere after February next year.

The truth is that I do not really care about bling (or blang, as it was called earlier). I am not semi-wealthy. I make a decent & honest wage, but I do still live largely paycheck-to-paycheck. As for my moronic state, well....anyone & everyone can be called a moron. All it takes is a different set of beliefs & viewpoint. Lord knows that there is enough of both here in America.

The truth of matters (from my perspective) goes something like this...

My dad has been a Ford person from day one. He has also been an avid Harley-Davidson enthusiast. As the saying goes, the acorn does not fall far from the tree. To this day (just shy of 40 years after making my entrance into this world), I still hold brand name loyalties to both Ford & Harley-Davidson.

Being born & raised in Wyoming, I have been surrounded by trucks most of my life--especially when you consider the number of coal mines, oil fields, construction sites, farmers, and ranchers roaming the WY roads. I would venture to say that the larger Ford following (as compared to Chevy, GMC, or Dodge) has only further embedded my love for the Ford Super Duty line into my psyche.

My first foray into the "luxury" truck market happened with the initial Employee Pricing wars back in 2005. I was in a position where I needed a larger truck to pull my bike & trailer between Denver & WY, as my folks & I like to get together for long, holiday weekend rides. Everything kind of fell into place, and I was able to purchase a 2005 Lariat F-250.

While I liked that truck, the interior was just short of being ugly, in my opinion. I never really got over the fact that there was about one square foot of wood panelling dressing up the roughly 4 acres of gray plastic on the dash. It just look odd & out of place. I told a friend once that it was like dressing up your grandma in $500 worth of lingerie. While it was dressed up, the rest of it wasn't exactly a pretty picture.

My loyalties ultimately had me wanting one of the Harley-Davidson Super Duties. I loved that full black interior. I was lukewarm on the flames along the rocker panels, but aside from that it really was my ultimate dream truck.

As I was fortunate enough to get a good deal (both for purchase price of the '06 Lariat & trade-in for my previous truck) I was able to "trade-up" to a 2006 Harley-Davidson edition F-250 a little over a year later. Now, to be brutally honest, that decision hurt my budget a bit, but with the talks of the pending Super Duty redesign & possible discontinuation of the Harley-Davidson editions, I tightened the proverbial purse strings & made that plunge.

I absolutely loved that truck. Still do, in fact. Unfortunately, it was stolen, and that forced me back into the truck shopping market. While doing my researching, I quickly found that I liked the 2008 Super Duty interior even less than the 2007 & earlier models. And that left me in a bit of a pickle.

As I wanted a Super Duty, but I did not NEED a Super Duty, I started looking at the F-150 line. The unfortunate realization that I had there is that Ford & their dealerships skew their own market numbers.

As options are introduced, they have statistics gathered on them. If an option sells well enough, it will likely become a standard feature. Depending on how poorly the sales for an option are, it will either remain as an option or get purged from the line up entirely. These statistics are rolled up into Order Guides that are distributed to the dealerships, and the dealerships order their stock largely based on those numbers.

The problem I found is that it was hard to find a "loaded" F-150 with both the heated seats & heated mirrors options; which seems like a pretty nice set of options to have in a "northern tier" state. When you add in the additional requirements that had of coloring, additional options, trim level, etc., I found it nearly impossible to find the truck that I wanted on a dealer's lot. Sure, I could order the truck I wanted, but then I would lose out on over $5,000 in rebates & incentives, as these almost invariably come with a "from dealer stock" rider in the fine print.

I had just about given up hope when I happened to catch an American Chopper rerun for their Mark LT tribute bike. Within minutes I found that getting a truck that I actually wanted & liked (from a dealer's inventory) was as simple as going from Ford F-150 to Lincoln Mark LT.

Yes, it had a couple options that I really did not care about when I purchased it. But, I have come to love having the rearview camera, GPS, and satellite radio. The rearview camera makes all kinds of tight, Denver parking a lot simpler. The GPS helps me drive right to obscure stores or restaurants everywhere that I have been. And the satellite radio has helped maintain my sanity during those ~6 hour drives through WY where the radio is dominated by country & weird hodgepodges of easy listening & adult contemporary music.

While I like my Lincoln Mark LT, it is not the "dream" truck that my '06 Harley F-250 was. I cannot put my finger on any specific thing. The only big thing that sticks in my mind is the lackluster acceleration provided by the 5.4L...when I think back to the turbo-charged 6.0L Powerstroke. I know that is not really a fair comparison, but it is there in the back of my mind nonetheless.

Now that Ford has went public with the new Harley-Davidson edition Super Duty, I find myself once again gravitating towards that truck. And, now the new Super Duties have the rearview cameras, GPS, and satellite radio options now. Even better yet, the rearview camera is now displayed on the GPS/stereo screen, as opposed to a little image in the corner of the rearview mirror. That is kind of a win-win, in my opinion.

I keep seeing these types of threads and/or replies on the Internet forums. And I continue to scratch my head. America is a place of freedoms & choices. I, personally, have spent eight years in the U.S. Marine Corps protecting not only my freedoms & ability to make choices, but many of yours as well. Yet, I have never bashed on someone for lifting or lowering their truck. I have never bashed on someone for choosing to drive any flavor of "import" car. And I certainly have not ever resorted to name calling or labeling of people for their choices in transportation.

Maybe they just teach better manners (netiquette, as it would be here) in Wyoming and/or the Marine Corps.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:06 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Yeah, But they're perfectly capable of building a comfortable interior without all the bling. It adds weight, lowers mileage, and over all sells trucks to a lot people that prolly don't really need them. Just what our country needs. 2 million+ people using 15 MPG trucks as commuter vehicles.

All of these luxury trucks skew their perception of what a truck is, and what it's for. Try and buy a F150 w/man trans.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:48 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
It seems class-ism is only acceptable when you do it uphill, not down. I wonder why?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Because it's supposed to be a truck?

I could care less about class. Buy what ever You want, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:00 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
If I didn't care about something I wouldn't post on a topic. I guess that's just me.

Buying a higher trim level or more features makes it no less of a truck. Otherwise trucks would still come without A/C, passenger side mirror, disc brakes, collaspeable steering columns, air bags, anti-lock brakes, 12 volt alternators, extended cabs, crew cabs, FM radios, heaters, electric wind-shield wipers, seat belts, breaker-less distributors, etc.

All these were either items found first on luxury cars or thought un-needed on a truck.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:09 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
As far as the LT vs the escalade, The LT was basically a rebadged f150, while the caddy version was a little more tricked out. There was a thread on here awhile ago with a comparison between the 2.

Now who would buy one? I can't find a bmw to tow my skidsteer, or my boat, or haul my utility trailer, but I like the heated seats , the auto headlights, heated mirrors. I own a f250 lariat.

Originally Posted by 7d2 Custom
Moron eh? I bet there's hundreds of lariat/KR owners who think differently, But on the topic of Moron, Luxury pick up is three words.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Luxury trucks