1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT but i need help!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OT but i need help!

Ok Guys and Girls, i know this is a long shot but i have a problem with my Truck. Its a Chevy!!! I know but it has served me well and can not really complain. Heres my problem, when i slow down to a stop the abs kicks on. I mean as im just stoping be hind a stoped car in front and click click i keep rolling? I have unpluged the front drivers switch and took it out to see if it stopped and it did. I was wondering if anyone here has worked on one and if this is where i should be looking? I have looked this part up and its all in one with the hub. 160.00 I would hate to buy this if there is something else i could do to check to make sure this is my problem. Thanks for any help!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Are you sure that you don't have one brake hanging up? It only takes one wheel to turn at a different rate than the other three to have the ABS kick in. The dealer will have the diagnostic equipment to test the individual wheels sensors...seems to me to be a good investment at this stage.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
abs

Any lites on the dash flashing when the ABS engages? Any Codes stored?
Most Generic scanners will not accomodate or retrieve specialized systems codes, but since it"s a domestic ..you may be in luck. You disconnected What?..front drivers swx? ..and it started to work? You mean maybe..you disabled the system and now you have normal braking?
So the system was engaging,when there was no need for it at a stop lite..then you disconnected something( thereby disabling the system) now it works fine..untill you plug it( what exactly is..it?) back in , then the ABS acts whacky again? I think thats how I'm trying to understand this anyway..LoL!
Year,make, model, and enginesize and trans type please...Sound like a parts counter guy don"t I ??...
Don't spend the cash on any " non-re-turnable" electrical parts , untill you know for sure what the problem is.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Just replaced the wheel bearing on the wife's Blazer. It has the included ABS sensor built in. This won't help in your problem, but if you have to replace the wheel bearing assembly, then pack a 36mm deep well socket, and everything else is simple.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I had the same problem on my explorer, 2 times. Once I replace the rotors and pads and it went away. The second time, many miles later, I replaced the rotors and pads, but the problem didn't go away. I then removed the sensors on the front and cleaned the rust and dirt around the sensor, put them back and it was good as new. Be careful that you don't break the plastic sensor housing when you remove it to clean the area, at least that is a risk for the Ford design.

Hope it helps. I did a search on the web and found a note that said to try the cleaning part. I suggest you do a similar search, odds are you are not the only one experiancing the problem,

Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 PM
councilman
Senior User
FirstI would look for a front abs sensor contaminated with rust or debris. Second I would look for a cracked exciter ring. Third check front sensor reading with digital meter for glitch that oem computer can't pick up. As a last resort trade up to the Blue Oval. HaHa!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:13 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had a simialar prob , just what the other guy's are saying ... dain abs sensor . thats why i dont want a new{er} one for my own use any more . what i pay for one part would pay for several on the others ...........besides they just dont have the class or style !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem on a chevy astro awd----it is the brake sensor.
It was always a problem in my gmc safari awd also. Darn sensors and the click click and think you won't stop.....Bill

Old 12-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
Try cleaning the sensor area. High metalic content brake pads tend to make a LOT of magnetic dust which can (and has in a few of our fleet trucks), messed up the signal and made the computer think the wheel was stopped which will activate the ABS. Also make sure the gap is correct, if there is too much gap there will be an erratic signal which can trip the ABS.

Cyrus
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... HELL YEAH!!! What a ride!

Old 12-14-2008, 06:49 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Well guys its back and running. It cost me a lot of money to get fixxed. A whole 40.00 bucks! I was like are you sure and the guy said yup. I guess he changed out the sensor. Well 2 days of driving and does not activate. Well i thought i would just update you guys and thanks for all the advice.

Search this Thread