1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

official steering wander thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you go to the link I put in post #8 for the steering problem symptom list and what to look for. Could list to make sure you didn't overlook anything.

Here's that LINK

Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Tim J
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same story here. early 99 CC SB. Adjusted steering box. New track bar bushings. Stock suspension. New Munroe shocks (wont make this mistake again). 285/75 R16 BFG current. 265/75 R16 Mich LTX previous. Still handles like every other solid front axle truck I've had. If it didn't have the wheelbase, it would be really sloppy. Hope to get some ideas here. Thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 07:49 PM
OTTOMATIC
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Link for Steering Symptom Chart CLICK HERE Scroll down about 5 screens for chart. Chart will have WANDER in condition column.

I haven't seen any mention of steering column u-joint issues.

MANY thanks forf above link. I just spent $500 with NAPA and replaced all tie rods, track bar etc. Ball joints were still good. That link is just what I needed for steering gear. In fact I came on to post and ask for info.

PS 317,000 mi on original s ain't shabby!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 PM
4EXTRDR
Senior User
I went down this very familiar road w/ my 98' Dodge/Cummins 4X4 years ago...got it close (like my Ford is now...) but could never get it "perfect" like say...a 1/2 ton truck. I guess these straight axle trucks just only get so good per say, without driving us nuts
( I gota admit...the Duramaxes are a pleasure to steer )

Old 12-09-2008, 07:54 PM
OTTOMATIC
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pleasure to steer but the DMAXES ride Llike sheet

Old 12-09-2008, 08:17 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by OTTOMATIC
MANY thanks forf above link. In fact I came on to post and ask for info.

PS 317,000 mi on original s ain't shabby!!!
That mileage ain't shabby at all. My 99 only has 99k. I won't live long enough to put 300k on it.

Here's the link for the entire 99 manual. CLICK HERE Compliments of another FTE member.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
4EXTRDR
Senior User
Nice score on that link Payson! Thanks, that will come in handy down the road

Old 12-09-2008, 08:50 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Did you go to the link I put in post #8 for the steering problem symptom list and what to look for. Could list to make sure you didn't overlook anything.

Here's that LINK
Yes sir I did and thank you very much. I used it as a guide on what to check. I hear everyone saying that's just how these trucks are but mine wasn't that way for the first 120,000 miles or so. I'm not sure if it happened gradually and sort of snuck up on me or it it just happened. I'd take it to a shop in a minute but I read so much on here where people drop a couple grand and still have the problem. I spent 1300 last year on the steering gear and a couple links. That was in Naples FL and if they could have found anything else to fix I'm sure they would have, they had an open work order for the steering issue. What I notice is that there don't seem to be any F350s involved in this. What's up with that? There is very little difference in the 250 and the 350 for the 01 model year. The rear springs are a little different but I don't think there is any difference in the front.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:49 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just to be clear, its a F350 that I also have issues with. I think why you see so many questions with the F250 is they were the most common. F350 was not as popular as a grocery getter and more sought after as a work truck.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jeffdoerr
just to be clear, its a F350 that I also have issues with. I think why you see so many questions with the F250 is they were the most common. F350 was not as popular as a grocery getter and more sought after as a work truck.
Well yeah, that makes sense, guess i wasn't paying good attention. I'm gonna take mine for a nice drive tomorrow and see if bleeding the PS pump really made an improvement or it was my imagination.

If anyone has any feedback on my steering stabalizer please share. It's got about 60,000 miles on it. It's a Rancho. I took one end loose and can move the plunger in and out. It's firm but if it was a shock i would replace. I don't remember how stiff the stabalizer was when I put it on. I don't think that would correct the wandering but it might help a bit. Maybe what this is is a bunch of things being worn just a little but the sum of all of them creates the problem. If that's the case it would be a high dollar fix, that's for sure.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Tazzmann
Junior User
jeff I had that type of issue with my 97 I had, the problem with that was the actual steering column. There was a slip joint about mid way down the shaft under the hood. This slip joint was loose and had a few inches of play at the wheel end. it required a replacement to repair.

I apologize if these newer models are different, i have never looked at my '02 steering shaft. And if this has already been mentioned just ignore it lol.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:35 AM
puller45
Senior User
Just a shot in the dark here, but in one of my former jobs I drove a 2002 F250 with a V10. Every time it went to the company shop for service, it came back with a terrible wander problem. I was able to solve the problem on that truck by lowering the front tire pressure a little. The servicman pumped them to Ford's suggested pressure, wandered all over, lowered to 55lbs (not sure, but I think that's correct) problem solved.

My present SD has no problem-----yet.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:22 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Question Update..Update..Update

Hi all. I have spent a lot of time looking for a solution to this steering problem. I have now changed my diagnosis. My truck is not wandering, I have steering play and when driving it feels like we are wandering because the wheel has play. About 2 inches of play in each direction which is 4 inches total. That's a lot. Here's what i think i've found: at the bottom of the steering shaft there is a universal joint just as the shaft enters the steering box. To see that, slide a plastic cover up the shaft. The cover is secured by a split ear which goes around one of the fluid lines going into the steering box. I got at mine over the drivers side wheel, just reached in and slid the cover up towards the firewall. Once i could see it I got my helper (wife) to start the truck and turn the wheel slowly back and forth. With one hand on the steering shaft and one on the pitman arm I can feel the play (i think). I say I think because I can't find any refrence to a ratio of in to out by the steering box. Another thing I've found is the adjustment I had done last at the dealership is on the invoice as a "preload" adjustment. Is that a different adjustment than the "meshload" adjustment? If so how is it adjusted? Thanks, Stan

Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 AM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you have documented the exact problem that I have been complaining about. Now we just need to see where the play is located at. I have head enough excuses for poor engineering, bad geometry, poor factory tire size recommendations, etc. This thread it to help identify the difference between the less than 100k mile trucks that seem to steer fine and the post 100k mile trucks that are all over the road. I have not yet been able to find where the steering wheel slop comes into play and my arms are not long enough to move the wheel and hold the shaft under the hood to see if there is play in the steering shaft itself.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jeffdoerr
you have documented the exact problem that I have been complaining about. Now we just need to see where the play is located at. I have head enough excuses for poor engineering, bad geometry, poor factory tire size recommendations, etc. This thread it to help identify the difference between the less than 100k mile trucks that seem to steer fine and the post 100k mile trucks that are all over the road. I have not yet been able to find where the steering wheel slop comes into play and my arms are not long enough to move the wheel and hold the shaft under the hood to see if there is play in the steering shaft itself.
I'm convinced my play is in that steering gear. But the over 100K shouldn't matter as I had a brand new Ford unit installed in Feburary. Sadly, my 12,000 mile warranty is out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: official steering wander thread