Greenie Questions.....:)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:42 AM
subaruguy72
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greenie Questions.....:)

Hey Guys....just starting a rebuild Project on an Older 64 Crew Cab 3/4 ton 4x4 Truck....

I have 2 engine choices to run with.....For now to start with I am going to be running a stock 77 400M engine.....64 Cab is going onto a 77 Frame and running gear and It is getting a 79 Dually rear end stuck under it

My end Goal with this Truck is to squeeze as much in the mpg end as I can while maintaining good tow rig mentality as well....I have a 429 That will need rebuilt that I am thinking of putting in it And drivetrain wise it will be running 4:10 Duals in the rear with 33-35 inch rubber and a 6-7 foot Flat bed behind the Cab....truck is also a 4 speed right now, but I can go C-6 or 5 speed....? And with a Well built 429 stroked out or..? would I do better with 3:50'ish gears....?

My main question after reading about all the stroker stuff for the 460's is.....What Can I do while rebuilding the 429 to keep it reliable, while tuning it for milage and towing duty...? I Live in Oregon and the Truck will be seeing alot of 25 to 50 mile mountain passes towing car trailer or 25ft travell trailer.....I am a mechanic by trade, but Ive been working on 4 bangers for way too many years, and am out of the loop on the Ford Iron..... I've been told the 429 will handle running higher Rpms over a longer duration than the 460....? is this correct info...?

I intend to build this truck right the First time due to its unique nature....And knowing it is going to be both a Toy and tow Rig , I want to do the drive train right the First time.....Hope all this made Sense...?

Any and All info is greatly appreciated.....

Thanks in advance....John

Old 12-09-2008, 12:26 PM
subaruguy72
Freshman User
Wow....No one responding...
So I bought a Running 429 yesterday from a Local Friend...
Motor is a 73 Lincoln So I assume it is a Bit lower Compression and HP ...?

I want to put a Weiland..? Performance intake on it
I will be Port and polishing intake and Exhaust....

Are there any ok to good Headers on the Market...?
this truck will be seeing mostly hwy miles at speed, so i don't want to buy into junk headers....

Is there anyone here who has cammed up one of these 429 engines for hwy running...? I will also be running the 400M disty, As I was told it has a better advance curve to it....?

I am going with a 5 speed trans and I am going to run the 4:10 gears with 33" rubber to start and see what it does for Milage....

Any other Mods anyone can think of Are appreciated....

Thanks, John

Old 12-09-2008, 01:30 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WEll to answer one question from your first post on it, no the 429 won't neccesarily rev more then a 429, it is a myth (just like the one that the 400 guys try to say by claiming that having a 4" stroke will make it have sssooo much more torque then a 460, it's a lie to make themselves feel better)

If your going to pull the heads, mainly port the exhaust side (you can just clean up the intake is all it will need for a basic engine you are wanting) and I would also put in hardened exhaust seats, possibly increase the exhaust valves from 1.67 to 1.71 cj size (the exhaust is the restriction in these engines)
Next yes it is a lower compression motor, if it was me I would also go ahead and tear it down and have the block square decked and try to get the pistons to within .010 of the deck but at least square the block up since they all are out of square once ran. This will also up the compression some without getting crazy and out of pump gas range like swapping heads could do to you.
and just because it is a 35yr old engine I would go ahead and change the harmonic dampener because the rubber is about shot I am sure. Also while you have it apart look over the rings and bearings, wouldn't take a lot to put in new ones.
Put in a straight up roller timing chain.

L&L headers are nice even if spendy but have good thick flanges. Also Doug Thorley tri Y headers have a good rep for this type of application.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:30 PM
subaruguy72
Freshman User
Thanks, monster.....I am just wanting to be sure I'm on the right track in my build... I appreciate all the info....
If I deck the Block down, will it bring the HP back up near
what the Older Engine family was....?

Also While browsing ebay this morning I ran across a gear to gear timing set....Are they worth doing, on a stockish build....?

I will be mounting the Weiand intake and a 650cfm Holley or Edelbrock 4barrel to it......I also Sourced a 2WD BB ZF 5 speed transmission this morning as well.....

Again thanks for the Info, John