General Automotive Discussion

No More F-100 sadly... But its alter. is awesome

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 AM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhëëlMå1
Ford keeps saying no to the F100... I dont believe them. Doesn't seems FTE believes them either, since this particular forum exists...
I guess by that logic every thing that you read on an internet forum must be true then.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:07 PM
bluedevil3758
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
That's sad. The proof will be in the pudding so to say. Look at how many Dakota's are on the road and the larger Tacoma as well. The roads are full of them. Likewise that means no Bronco. They'll pour millions into the limited Raptor when they could earn millions on something that someone could actually use.

I wouldn't get the F-100 anyway, I'm getting a SD in late 2010 early 2011, fuel prices permitting of course. With that said, I may end up with a Focus or Fiesta and getting another 5 years out of my '88.

Why don't they bring back the Ranchero?

Tim

Tacoma's yeah, Dakotas are you kidding? they cant even sell 1k a month thru october they sold 22.5k the ranger about 59k, plus Dakotas are junk, i don't think there's really a place for a f100 and would rather ford keep a ranger truck and the f150

Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedevil3758
Tacoma's yeah, Dakotas are you kidding? they cant even sell 1k a month thru october they sold 22.5k the ranger about 59k, plus Dakotas are junk, i don't think there's really a place for a f100 and would rather ford keep a ranger truck and the f150
It's of no consequence to me what they build. I didn't say the Dakota was a good truck, in fact I agree 100% that it's a POS. However, there are a lot of them on the road. I think the Ranger is a great truck, but I think it could be better with a little more size and capability.

Tim

Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 AM
gwinters3
Freshman User
I guess what I don't understand is the need for the 6.2v8. Everyone is crying because the 5.4 won't out drag race other trucks? That's what after market parts are for, this line of thinking is part of the current problems with the auto industry while the big three have a pissing contest, the imports are selling to the masses. I'm all for niche market trucks that are cool and fast, but I know a lot of people that feel a ranger is too small for their needs and an F150 is much more than they need. I don't know about the current sport-trac but the original one had a rollover rating that was just embarrassing. As the imports have figured out there is a large market for mid-size trucks that haul more than the small trucks, but get better fuel economy than the full-size. The idea of bringing a bigger V8 to a market concerned about fuel economy is very strange to me. As for drag racing I've got a '75 F250 with a 460 that'll out race anything the big three want to produce.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gwinters3
I guess what I don't understand is the need for the 6.2v8. Everyone is crying because the 5.4 won't out drag race other trucks? That's what after market parts are for, this line of thinking is part of the current problems with the auto industry while the big three have a pissing contest, the imports are selling to the masses. I'm all for niche market trucks that are cool and fast, but I know a lot of people that feel a ranger is too small for their needs and an F150 is much more than they need. I don't know about the current sport-trac but the original one had a rollover rating that was just embarrassing. As the imports have figured out there is a large market for mid-size trucks that haul more than the small trucks, but get better fuel economy than the full-size. The idea of bringing a bigger V8 to a market concerned about fuel economy is very strange to me. As for drag racing I've got a '75 F250 with a 460 that'll out race anything the big three want to produce.
Do you understand that the toyota with thier 5.7 bone stock factory will out run your 460? I know they will outrun mustangs, and even give the vettes a serious run for the money and they are selling like hot cakes. So why does it make it a mistake of Ford builds an engine that is obviously still in high demand by watching other manufactures making a fortune doing the same thing? this Ford and GM are making mistakes by being involved with suv's and pickups is wrong, people don't want to little death traps they WANT these pickups that is why even prices over double what the econo box death traps are they still have trouble selling enough of the higher mileage vehicles to meet the CAFE standards with all the pickups and SUV's that people buy. It can't be a mistake for a company that builds things to sell if what they are building is selling. If people weren't buying them Ford wouldn't be still building pickups and SUV's, yes they are having a slump now but until just recently the big three couldn't build big and fast enough or just enough of them to fill customer demand.

BTW the toy 5.7 runs 9flat in the 1/8th mile.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:39 AM
turborich
Senior User
That's great that you think your toyota is a race truck, however your claims of it running with vettes are just crazy & incorrect. Trucks are built to pull trailers & have torque at lower RPM's. There isn't anything wrong with the 5.4 liter engine. If you want more power simply upgrade to a super duty or whatever suits your situation.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 PM
gwinters3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Do you understand that the toyota with thier 5.7 bone stock factory will out run your 460? I know they will outrun mustangs, and even give the vettes a serious run for the money and they are selling like hot cakes. So why does it make it a mistake of Ford builds an engine that is obviously still in high demand by watching other manufactures making a fortune doing the same thing? this Ford and GM are making mistakes by being involved with suv's and pickups is wrong, people don't want to little death traps they WANT these pickups that is why even prices over double what the econo box death traps are they still have trouble selling enough of the higher mileage vehicles to meet the CAFE standards with all the pickups and SUV's that people buy. It can't be a mistake for a company that builds things to sell if what they are building is selling. If people weren't buying them Ford wouldn't be still building pickups and SUV's, yes they are having a slump now but until just recently the big three couldn't build big and fast enough or just enough of them to fill customer demand.

BTW the toy 5.7 runs 9flat in the 1/8th mile.

I understand that a new Toyota won't outrun my 460(I never said it was stock). The Big 3 aren't going through just a "slump" they are going through a major shift in the market, nobody not even Toyota is selling trucks right now, and the used lot's are full to overflowing with pickups and suvs with nice big V8's that nobody wants to feed anymore. In the end it's sales figures that will win this race not drag times. Just look at the Ranger, it was king of the hill in sales until the imports figured out that it could be beaten by trucks that are a little bigger, a little more roomy, yet not as big as full size. Those that really need the power and capacity of a full size truck, especially those who own a V10 or a big block V8(Those would be your prime target for a 6.2V8) are rushing out to get a diesel.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Dark Met. Blue FX4
Freshman User
=( No F-100....I guess it wont be the Rangers replacement.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 PM
gwinters3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Dark Met. Blue FX4
Which begs the question....what will replace the Ranger? I've not found anything that says for has changed their mind about killing the current Ranger, surely they won't just abandon this market.......will they?

Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 PM
gwinters3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Dark Met. Blue FX4
Which begs the question....what will replace the Ranger? I've not found anything that says Ford has changed their mind about killing the current Ranger, surely they won't just abandon this market.......will they?

Old 12-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Dark Met. Blue FX4
Freshman User
I hope not..I still want a Ranger ThunderBolt.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:07 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I understand that a new Toyota won't outrun my 460(I never said it was stock).
Then its certainly not a fair comparison, right? Or would you like to compare a 460 to a blown 5.4? The Toyota (and most trucks) can't come near my truck, but its not stock so its not a fair comparison.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:23 PM
gwinters3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Then its certainly not a fair comparison, right? Or would you like to compare a 460 to a blown 5.4? The Toyota (and most trucks) can't come near my truck, but its not stock so its not a fair comparison.
The point is that it's easy enough to build a drag truck with aftermarket parts.

I just don't think that most new truck buyers are asking the salesman how well the truck will do in the 1/4 mile. Can Ford really afford to go after niche markets like this when they're losing market share everywhere else?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
The point is that it's easy enough to build a drag truck with aftermarket parts.

I just don't think that most new truck buyers are asking the salesman how well the truck will do in the 1/4 mile. Can Ford really afford to go after niche markets like this when they're losing market share everywhere else?
I don't think most core truck buyers care. Those that do are the niche buyers looking for the Harley trucks or some other fast production model.

Ford needs to stay competitive in all aspects of the auto industry.

Tim

Old 12-09-2008, 07:30 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The point is that the majority of the buyers who do want power aren't going to build a 460 in a 30 year old truck to do it, they'll buy a new truck. Or, many will do it with newer iron because old iron has a different image with them. People who say stock power isn't important or that one-up-manship is "niche" ignore the fact that prior to gas prices going down that Toyota was gaining significant macket share with a more powerful engine despite they fact that they have 1/7th as many dealerships. Don't underestimate egos --- apparently you have one or you wouldn't build a fast 460. Same goes with other men, even if they aren't mechanically inclined. They want to brag to their buddies over a beer how fast their truck is, or blow away a guy at a light in brand X. Its been that way for as long as there have been young men driving in this country - the truck has become the modern muscle car for many.

Now, about marketshare, I think you have your facts wrong. The overall market of all customers for all brands is skrinking but Ford's share of that market has increased for 3 months in a row (pretty much every press release Ford makes comes across my desk before it's published at the major outlets and I've seen the numbers). Given that the overall market is smaller, if Ford can make 10,000 extra units here, 7,000 there, etc. by making options available they're going to do it. Otherwise the entire truck line would be one model with 1 engine. Consumers want choice. Now, the 5.4 3V will do the job, and do the job well... and do everything I could want except my desire for a truck to go quickly when I mash the peddle.

Quick Reply: No More F-100 sadly... But its alter. is awesome