1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Very annoying clicking sound during accelerate/decelerate

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-1999, 09:54 AM
wlhale
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an extended cab 1997 F-150, 4.6L, 4x4, Lariat with about 44000 miles. When I accelerate/deccelerate I can hear and feel a clicking sound from the vicinity of the transmission. It sounds like it is suspension noise rather than internal noise. If is not from the transmission area then I would have to say it is originating more from the passenger side rather than the driver's side. Definately under the cab area. Note that the more abrupt I slow down/speed up the louder more prominent the sound. I don't have to use the brakes to make this occur, I can let the truck come close to a rolling stop and then accelerate to make the click. The noise only seems to occur during Acceleration/deceleration, not at normal driving speeds. Sorry about the long post. Any clues?
Thanks,
Bill
wlhale@csrlink.net

Old 08-09-1999, 01:25 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

I had an annoying sound coming from my truck when I accelerated up to about 35mph or from 35 on down. It turned out that it was a U-joint. The rear joint has a place to add grease, so you might try greasing it, I wouldn't say that at 44k that the u-joint would go out, but,

If you havent allready packed your wheel bearings that may also be an indicator...

Thanks
Evan

Old 08-12-1999, 11:03 AM
David A.

Bill -
I have experienced a noise that exhibits itself
exactly as you described. It has occurred from the day I took delivery of the truck and continues (@10K miles). I've been back to the dealer but the noise is intermittent in my case and, of course, they didn't hear it when I was in. I notice that if I accelerate slowly between 15K and 20K and then release the pedal, I get a click (sometimes two clicks). I also hear it sometimes when I accerlerat. It sounds just like you've described and I thought it might be a slight slippage in one of the drive shafts yokes (sounds like it's coming from the right front, same as yours).
I'm going to continue to visit the dealership and if they diagnose it I'll re-post to this thread and let everyone know what it was.
Good luck and if you figure out anything, let us know!

David A.

>I have an extended cab 1997 F-150,
>4.6L, 4x4, Lariat with about 44000
>miles. When I accelerate/deccelerate I can
>hear and feel a clicking sound
>from the vicinity of the transmission.
>It sounds like it is suspension
>noise rather than internal noise. If
>is not from the transmission area
>then I would have to say
>it is originating more from the
>passenger side rather than the driver's
>side. Definately under the cab area.
>Note that the more abrupt I
>slow down/speed up the louder more
>prominent the sound. I don't have
>to use the brakes to make
>this occur, I can let the
>truck come close to a rolling
>stop and then accelerate to make
>the click. The noise only seems
>to occur during Acceleration/deceleration, not at
>normal driving speeds. Sorry about the
>long post. Any clues? Thanks, Bill
> wlhale@csrlink.net

Old 08-12-1999, 11:13 AM
David A.

Forgot to mention that I've got a 1998 F150, Ext. Cab, 4.6L, 4X4...
Also, I read in my Owner's manual that the Wheels are sealed with lifetime lube so I don't think that we can grease the bearings, but the drive shaft grease can be added, I guess, so I'll give that a try and let you know. Only thing about that is the sound sure seems to be in the front, but it might just *sound* like the front since that's a big hole where the sound can travel *up*. Hey, this is so frustrating that I'll grease anything I can get to if I think it will help. I've had two other 4X4's and *always* had weird drivetrain noises, so I've considered just trading this one in on a non-4X4!
David A.
gator111(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 08-25-1999, 10:02 PM
Ford Tough
Freshman User

>I have a 97 extended cab 4X4 with the 5.4 that exibits the same sounds while accelerating and decelerating. However mine has the 9.75 inch rear end vs. the 8.8 inch rear end in the trucks with the 4.6s. In addition to the sounds previously stated mine also makes an erp sound. Two weeks ago I returned mine underwarranty. They thought the cause of the sounds was from the leaf springs. They claim there is a technical service bulletin on it, the "insulation" between the leaf springs is bad. However last week they installed the kit that supposedly corrects it but it doesn't. I didn't get a chance to return it because I had to go off to college but I will be returning it to a local ford shop here. I have pulled trailers, gone offroad alot, and hooked up to a Z71, and it has not gotten worse. I am not ruling out the leaf spring just yet since they only installed a little clip, one on each side of the truck. About the Z71, neither of us moved.

Old 08-30-1999, 07:34 PM
Smirt

I also have a 1997 F-150 XLT that makes the same noise along with a few others. They told me that there is a drive shaft yoke conversion out that they ordered for me, I let you know if it works after they put it in.

Old 09-09-1999, 10:52 AM
Ford Tough
Freshman User

>>I just got back from a local dealer and they are ordering the yoke conversion. Also they said something about something in the transfer case. The technician told the man I was talking to the details, all I got was basically "we are ordering a new yoke and some thing for the transfer case" This was after I had to tell him to get someone else to look at it. He claimed that it "has to have some slippage or it would rip the rear end out", after arguing for awhile I told him that my mothers expedition doesn't do that and then he got a technician to look at it. I think he was just a salesman driving the truck around to the service department.

Old 09-10-1999, 09:37 PM
Dylan Carter

97 f150 4x4 3door - 44k miles.
Mine makes that same noise. More so when I have a passenger. My local dealer said it was a bad body mount. They said it would be BIG bucks to replace.
I took out the rear seat, and lifted the carpet. Took out all the bolts, and reinstalled them with locktight. Like magic the sound was gone - for about two months. Now it is back.
When I had the side unbolted I jacked the cab up a bit and looked at the body mount that I suspected. I don't know what kind of tool it would take to get it out - nothing I have. If I could get it out I could replace it for $26 bucks!!

Any Ideas would be GREAT!

>I have an extended cab 1997 F-150,
>4.6L, 4x4, Lariat with about 44000
>miles. When I accelerate/deccelerate I can
>hear and feel a clicking sound
>from the vicinity of the transmission.
>It sounds like it is suspension
>noise rather than internal noise. If
>is not from the transmission area
>then I would have to say
>it is originating more from the
>passenger side rather than the driver's
>side. Definately under the cab area.
>Note that the more abrupt I
>slow down/speed up the louder more
>prominent the sound. I don't have
>to use the brakes to make
>this occur, I can let the
>truck come close to a rolling
>stop and then accelerate to make
>the click. The noise only seems
>to occur during Acceleration/deceleration, not at
>normal driving speeds. Sorry about the
>long post. Any clues? Thanks, Bill
> wlhale@csrlink.net

Old 09-13-1999, 05:42 PM
Ford Tough
Freshman User

Tommorrow I will have the yoke installed on my truck I and will post the results ASAP.

Old 09-14-1999, 03:31 PM
Ford Tough
Freshman User

The dealership replaced the yoke. And now it is better than new. It took out almost all the freeplay that I had when engaging the gears. Example: When going from Drive to reverse and reverse to forward I got a clunk in addition to my previously stated "noises".

Old 09-22-1999, 12:47 PM
RICHARD
Freshman User

Do you have the part numbers and all for the yoke?
Mine sounds more like a shift solenoid sticking.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 09-22-1999, 03:05 PM
Ford Tough
Freshman User

The tsb # is 97-13-21 and the part # is FMC F75Z then there is a big space but I assume it is also the part number, 4841 RB.
This is how it looks on paper:
Replace slip yoke and remove spillage seal from...
part # PO# Note Description
FMC F75Z 4841 RB *Flange couplin

Old 09-22-1999, 03:08 PM
Ford Tough
Freshman User

Well that is not spaced the way I had it typed on the reply but you get the point.

Old 03-07-2000, 04:05 PM
Travis Haynes

I also have this problem with my 95 f-150, however I did not want to pay for the yoke so I just had my local garage take down the driveshaft and rease the inside of the yoke and voila! my problem was fixed and it only cost 10.00. I wonder if I could just drill the yoke and install a grease fitting?

Old 03-07-2000, 04:06 PM
Travis Haynes

I mean Grease not rease, sorry.

Quick Reply: Very annoying clicking sound during accelerate/decelerate