2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All of this from a dirty air cleaner element

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 AM
pooneee
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of this from a dirty air cleaner element

I have to vent.

I took my 2004 F150 FX4 SCREW with 108K miles on it into the dealer this morning because I thought my transmission was in need of service because the truck would pulsate when I accelerated.

I got the diagnosis back a few minutes ago. $4300.

I need four (4) new catalytic converters, a T-stat, eight (8) new plugs and a tune up. And, they are predicting that they will break several of the plugs and will have to drill and tap the holes at $100 each.

So, total estimate:

4 catalytic converters $2793
Labor to install cats $400
Tune up $950
Broken plugs $200
T-stat no charge

Total Estimate $4343

And they also state that the cause is that I don't clean my K&N filter element often enough.

I plan on getting a second opinion and if I really need the cats, I will find a muffler shop to do that. Then, I will tackle the tune up.

Does anyone out there have a similiar experience with their F-150.

Regards,

Poone

Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It could very well be true. The filter element is very easy to over oil since most people over oil them and put them back on the same day where you're really supposed to use a very small amount and let it wick over night. When this happens the MAF sensor can get oil on the exposed wire (only takes a very small drop) and the computer doesn't read incoming air flow properly. Or, if the filter isn't serviced and dirt starts to build up on the wire. If this causes the air/fuel ratio to be overly rich then plugs can eventually get fouled, the catalytic converters can be clogged, etc.

That's way too hefty a price for catalytic converters. You can get Dynatech stainless long tube headers, high flow cats and high flow y-pipes for about $1500, plus a few hours labor, still have it run clean emissions and get more power.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 AM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
I'll stick with my stock MotorCraft filters........

Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Well, pooonee, I feel bad for you, but this is another case where someone replaces a critical component without understanding the potential hazards.

Modifying your truck carries risks, especially when the mod in question affects the intake system to a very expensive engine. This is why mine's stock...because unlike many here, I can't AFFORD the repairs if it goes bad!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:22 PM
pooneee
Freshman User
Update:

Took the truck to another shop. Not a Ford Dealership.

I watched them run the computer diagnostic.

Two codes came up. T-Stat and the #8 Coil Misfire.

The tech also analyzed the sine waves from the O2 sensors prior to the cats and the O2 sensors after the cats and he can see no failure in the cats.

His suggestion is to replace the coil, plugs, t-stat, do a fuel injection cleaning, clear the codes and drive it for a while and see how the performance is.

I called the parts house and ordered the parts for $185.

I also looked up the cat assemblies and both left and right together are about $445 online with a 5 year 50K mile warranty.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 PM
2007XLT
New User
Keep us posted how things go!

Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 PM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

Post K&N Filters

K&N filters have been known to damage a whole lot if you don't oil/clean correctly...as stated by FTE Ken. When I first put the K&N filter it clogged the MAF and subsequently according to the Stealership in the TX valley said that it also took the Throttle Body with it. Luckily both were covered under my extended warranty. Extreme care should be taken when mods are installed.

Good luck with your repairs if you are DIY. DON'T BUY THE CHILTON OF CLIFTON MANUALS I spent the money on a "based on a complete tear down and rebuild of a F150 4x2 XL.'' Unless your truck matches <-.

The Official Ford Manual at the Stealership is well worth the money especially since when the CDROMS when paired with a laptop are perfect for DIY.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:13 PM
pooneee
Freshman User
Based upon the codes that the local Midas pulled up with their OBD computer, after I got the dealerships diagnosis and quote, I made the necessary repairs myself.

Replaced the one bad coil and plug. Replaced the T-stat and the air filter. Then took it to Midas and had the codes cleared. The check engine light went away and the original problem that I took the truck into the dealership for, which was the pulsating when accelerating that I originally thought was the tranny, went away.

I bought all eight plugs, t-stat and o-ring, coil, filter, a gallon of coolant all for $200. That is a far cry from the $4000 that the dealer had originally quoted me. I am going to write a letter of complaint to Ford and the dealership. Not sure what it will do, but, I just got to complain to someone.

I'll replace the remaining seven plugs tomorrow.

I even went out and bought a couple of new tires for the SCREW today.

Poone.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 PM
pooneee
Freshman User
One more thing. Over the phone, the Ford service manager told me that they wouldn't charge me for the T-stat, but, when I reviewed his quote on paper, I noticed that the labor to replace the stat was going to be $150. I think it took me about 20 minutes.

Poone.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:15 PM
TOW II
Junior User
Unfortunately, Service Mgrs’ have to make a living too, and even more unfortunate is that they make their commission off of US! I’ve been running a K&N filter on my pickup for 5 yrs now. Only reason that I bought the k&n is because I couldn’t find an air filter at my local auto parts stores when I first bought my truck and the dealer was charging me $20+ for them. I will probably go ahead and trash the k&n now that I can buy throw away filters from my local parts stores.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:52 PM
AA702
Senior User
I have been using K&N filters for years. My first car that I had it in was my 89 Acura Integra that had 290K on the same K&N cone filter. I also had it in my 93 Corvette LT1 and my 04 F150 and 06 Stang. If you over oil them, you can damage your MAF, but the trick is when you oil them, do it very light and let it dry overnight by hanging them in a vented area. The 04 F150 has 90K and is trouble free except for a rear end whine that is annoying but I can live with it.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:44 AM
rickh6155
Freshman User
Ditto with AA702. I use ONLY K&N in all my vehicles with only minor problems. The problem mentioned earlier with the MAF is easily resolved by cleaning with throttle body/
injector cleaner. I make it a habit of doing that each time I clean the filters, usually every summer, using Mr. Sun to dry them out and help improve the wicking action after oiling before putting them back in. Valvoline makes an excellent cleaner that I've used for years. I did discover years ago that when I started using K&N on the wife's 93 Explorer, that it did indeed foul the MAF, causing the a no-lockup condition on the torque converter, but after cleaning with Valv. TB/inj. cleaner and a couple of q-tips (make sure you get all the little cotton particles out) that it ran better than new. We still own this vehicle, and you can set a cup of coffee on the intake manifold without spilling so much as a drop. I'm having some issues with my 04 F-150 SCREW, tho. Spark plugs were changed at 75K by me, (yep, broke #3 off that required a trip to the local stealership costing me over $2k, and they even failed to plug in a knock sensor when they reassembled the engine!!!). Still deciding to take them to small claims court over that one. I've removed and completely cleaned the intake manifold (huh? What's this ABS plastic crap???) replaced my COP boots and cleaned the TB with aforementioned TB cleaner. I'm still experiencing misfire on some cylinders but only when in overdrive. I plan to replace all COPS since I replaced one on #3 cyl, it improved the drivablility a bit and, I figure, that I usually replace the spark plug wires at around 100K anyway, but if only these COPs weren't so darned expensive...~$30-40/ per. I just hope, that since the shudder I'm experiencing happens only in overdrive, that the OD clutch/torque converter isn't trashed. Built Ford Tough! Bu!!$*|t!!!

Pooneee, smart move! My experience showed me to NEVER trust a dealership service dept. for so much as even an oil change. There are plenty of freelance auto repair shops that pride themselves on good repair work if the DIY gets too deep. I'm glad to see you were able to resolve your issue with fewer $$ and no dealership trouble.
No wonder the auto companies are going under...if only they would understand that
if they stood by their products, instead of this train of BS that people chronicle on web
sites like these... Big thanks to Ford Truck Enthusiasts for bringing this stuff to light!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:04 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I bet you feel great about this, nothing quite like the satisfaction of saving a ton of money by tackling it yourself.